Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2017, 11:12 PM   #981
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
Whoa...wow...I never said you were like the people who did it. Seriously.

I spoke to someone today who spoke to the person in charge of the prison. They don't know yet who did it or why and while they certainly have not ruled out it was because his crimes were so horrible, they also know that doesn't immediately make sense given who he is living with. You do the reading between the lines on that one.

All I have said is the suggestion it is inmates who still have morality (which itself implies a certain level of justness in the beating of the bigger monster) is speculative and from what I am hearing may be entirely wrong.

No worries. I didn't comprehend your post as an attack against me. I will admit that I don't work in prisons or have a great knowledge of the inmate politics. However, I live in a town with a medium security prison. I know many guards and I hear how the jail operates. Maybe the attackers didn't have strong morals and none of us know that for sure. From what I have been told by my friends who are guards is that word travels quickly among inmates and that the beating was likely for retribution to a kid being murdered. Regardless of the morality involved, I don't have an issue with the beating. If I was imprisoned for an offence such as this ######, I would anticipate a few fights.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #982
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Whoa...wow...I never said you were like the people who did it. Seriously.

I spoke to someone today who spoke to the person in charge of the prison. They don't know yet who did it or why and while they certainly have not ruled out it was because his crimes were so horrible, they also know that doesn't immediately make sense given who he is living with. You do the reading between the lines on that one.

All I have said is the suggestion it is inmates who still have morality (which itself implies a certain level of justness in the beating of the bigger monster) is speculative and from what I am hearing may be entirely wrong.
Haha, I just figured out the first sentence of your response. In my post, I said the beating didn't make me like the guys who did it. I didn't mean that I was like them. You misunderstood my use of the word. I was just saying that by beating up a murderer, I wasn't about to befriend the inmates and dismiss their convictions/character.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #983
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Eye for an eye justice in Canada is needed.
Capital punishment too.

Lets have Justin send some MPs to the middle east to study best practises in this.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #984
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
You may not have followed this one through. Mr. Garland is serving in a maximum security unit with similar offenders. So I bet you wouldn't cover their drinks once you found out why they were Doug's next door neighbours.
My thought comes from the addage, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

If even a guy who did a really bad thing, beats up a guy who killed a five year old, the act itself gives me a thought of a measure of justice and I dare say even pleasure. I don't disagree that displays some moral ambigousness on my part.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #985
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
If even a guy who did a really bad thing, beats up a guy who killed a five year old, the act itself gives me a thought of a measure of justice and I dare say even pleasure.
What if he killed a four year old?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #986
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
What if he killed a four year old?
I thought about that. The issue is, one thing I know, is Garland killed a five year old. Its known. I don't know what the other guy did, so I don't have any hesitation in thanking him for beating up Garland. Again, I'm not suggesting I stand on any moral high ground here.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #987
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought about that. The issue is, one thing I know, is Garland killed a five year old. Its known. I don't know what the other guy did, so I don't have any hesitation in thanking him for beating up Garland. Again, I'm not suggesting I stand on any moral high ground here.
Not quoting you to beat you up for this, more just a common sentiment I'm seeing.

So the devil you know is better than the devil you don't? I just don't get the vengeance mentality around this case.

For all we know the people beating him up raped and then killed children. And women. And the disabled. Let's maybe not brag about how we'd buy a round for these 'heroes'.

Justice, as much as it can be, was served. Let him rot in prison and forget about it. I get that it's a local story and affected people here since it's close to home, but the more attention drawn to it after the fact, the worse, in my opinion. The cheering of vigilante retribution is kind of gross, and seems to be opposite of the forward-thinking nature CP as a whole seems is going.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #988
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Disagree. I want him to think about this in his cold jail cell for about 74 years. Then he can die from one of these beatings that I shouldn't be happy about.

I don't think the government should have the power to kill citizens.
Pretty much agree with all of this... part of the job of government is to help protect it's citizens not killing them.

Having said that I'm not going to shed any tears (or really want anything done) about a child killer getting beatdowns on the reg. In fact I kind of hope he gets beatdowns with enough frequency that he spends the rest of his life in a constant state of physical pain, emotional anguish, and fearful anxiety (but not enough to kill him... that would be letting him off to easy).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #989
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My thought comes from the addage, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".
And an "eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #990
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
The death penalty costs tax payers way more money than a prison sentence.
really? i don't think it costs more than 75 years of feeding this animal
Old 03-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #991
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
really? i don't think it costs more than 75 years of feeding this animal
he's not going to be in prison for 75 years.
he'll be dead in around 10-15 tops, I would think.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #992
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
he's not going to be in prison for 75 years.
he'll be dead in around 10-15 tops, I would think.
True, was trying to make a point, obviously didn't think it through
Old 03-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #993
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's already cost 2 hospital stays, I'd rather him just be put down like a rabid dog and we forget about him
Old 03-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #994
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
And an "eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
And in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

...I'm not sure how that's relevant, but I wanted to play too.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #995
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

And the blind carpenter picked up his hammer and saw.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #996
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

nb
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #997
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Explains a lot

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #998
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Disagree. I want him to think about this in his cold jail cell for about 74 years. Then he can die from one of these beatings that I shouldn't be happy about.

I don't think the government should have the power to kill citizens.

The only way I see the death penalty working is that it puts a definitive end to the story. No more news, no more lawyer visits, no more human rights complaints etc. It's done. I read a story about the surviving family's of Clifford Olson's victims and the extra pain and suffering they went through just knowing he was alive. The father of one victim comment that the night Olson died was the first night in 20/30 years (don't know my time lines) that he slept through the night.

I know I would feel much better knowing that the person that took my son's life, the last person to see him, terrified, crying is gone. Sitting there, wondering if he is deriving any sort of enjoyment from his actions? Does he relish the look on their faces just before? One could go crazy thinking about it. At some point complete closure could only come about with death.

I am not upset about jailhouse beatings, heck have more of them. If he is indeed in with his own kind throw a few shanks and broom handles down with them and let them have at it. I won't lose any sleep over it.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #999
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still remember a book or a short story that I read where criminals with life sentences were put in a nice prison with good food and fitness programs. And they were kept alive as long as possible and harvested for organs.

If someone needed an eye, they took yours. If someone needed a kidney or part of a liver or even blood, it was "donated by the prisoners".

It was pretty grim to me to read it, but its certainly a revenge fantasy if you actually want a scumbag like Garlands incarceration to mean anything.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #1000
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I still remember a book or a short story that I read where criminals with life sentences were put in a nice prison with good food and fitness programs. And they were kept alive as long as possible and harvested for organs.

If someone needed an eye, they took yours. If someone needed a kidney or part of a liver or even blood, it was "donated by the prisoners".

It was pretty grim to me to read it, but its certainly a revenge fantasy if you actually want a scumbag like Garlands incarceration to mean anything.
I am hoping that one day it becomes possible to transplant one's consciousness into an artificial virtual world. You could take good people and put them into a "heaven" of their own design, and you could put bad people into a "hell". Make it so 1 real time second is like 10,000 years in the system.

And in the event that a guilty person is eventually found innocent, you could put them into a better place.