Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #21
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was a powerful read. As someone who suffers from mental illness, I have never read an article that shows the type of thoughts that goes through my head at times. The article truly brought me to tears.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #22
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

As always the more awareness that we can share the better. An amazing job by him and the writers to share such a dark and personal story.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYFORMVP View Post
Great article. Powerful story and very brave of him to open up like this. Hope this goes a long way to helping others.

Have to wonder how much a goalies mental illness could go undiagnosed because they are so damn weird/strange in general. No offence to any goalies out there.
Clint Malarchuk has had a bunch to say on his OCD, and it's always fascinating/heartbreaking.

Quote:
"Sometimes they give a goalie his own room. To me, that was the biggest relief in the world. I could do my preparation--which every goalie does, but in private. Pacing, acting out. Mine was a little excessive. You know what the funniest thing is? Goalies have this stigma attached to them that they are crazy and flaky. I've had more people tell me that I was the most normal goalie they'd ever met. Inside me I was saying, 'If you only knew.' "
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-01-...lint-malarchuk
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #24
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I knew Corey a bit through mutual friends back in high school around about the time he was playing junior. Just a great guy, had no idea the demons he has faced later in life. Happy to see he is talking about it and getting help.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

This article is getting quite popular. Kudos to Hirsch for doing it. Charles Adler read it last night on his radio show and had a good discussion about it after. Glad to see the media is picking up on it and it's getting exposure.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:23 AM   #26
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that's was incredibly powerful. Brought me to tears. I can't imagine suffering like that for years, fighting dark thoughts and struggling just to survive.

Not surprised to read Linden was one of the guys who helped him. What a gem of a man.

Very courageous of Hirsch to put this out there. Sports has a very long way to go in supporting mental health.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #27
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

The interview from Canucks youtube.

Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Nintendo Chalmers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #28
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually a little embarrassed that I didn't know OCD lead to those types of serious feelings/thoughts. I thought it was just random compulsions like an organized room or germ phobia.

I hate disorganized spaces and clutter, but I will never lightheartedly talk about "my OCD" again. I just have a preference for neat and tidy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #29
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
The interview from Canucks youtube.

Good job the Canucks with the video as well. Linden has always come across to me as one of the real good guys in the league.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:57 AM   #30
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm actually a little embarrassed that I didn't know OCD lead to those types of serious feelings/thoughts. I thought it was just random compulsions like an organized room or germ phobia.

I hate disorganized spaces and clutter, but I will never lightheartedly talk about "my OCD" again. I just have a preference for neat and tidy.
My brother has severe OCD so I'm very glad to hear promises like this. I've learned so much about the disease and am so encouraged when others speak about how they manage it with the support of others. I too never make light of things like this, nor do I call people "crazy".

This is why mental health awareness is such an important issue and why we must be supportive and open to understanding those who have a mental illness.

He was abusive and angry for a while but I learned it was all a symptom of the disease. For over a year I was dreading the phone call saying that he took his own life. Thankfully it never came and in time and with therapy he is able to manage his illness.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post: