Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #101
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Bennett and I'm not even sure if he'll ever meet Backlund's level. Flames need to keep Backlund.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #102
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say 5 years/5.5. Do it up Treliving!

I'd only move him if he was a key part in a trade for say Tavares or Eichel.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #103
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Things could change over the next year.

Under his present contract, we have Backlund signed up until the end of next year. A lot will depend on his performance next year, and if players like Bennett and Jankowski show significant improvement in their development to take his place.

My instincts say if you can sign him up now for say 4.5 to 5.0 for 3 to 5 years, you do it. However, waiting until the trade deadline next year may have its advantages.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #104
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's almost as if the moment we have a good thing people want to end it. First season in ages with 2 good centers. The combination of Monahan and Backlund is the best thing about our forward group.

We currently have zero prospects challenging for those spots. Backlund is only 28. He should easily have years of prime hockey left.

What would we even trade him for? A winger? Another defenseman?

Why are we even talking about this.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #105
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
He won fastest skater in the skills competition this year.
Let me clarify on the speed/forte statement. I mean the reason for his success has never been a speed oriented game. Most of his smart effective plays are done at half speed with hockey awareness. Players that rely solely on speed usually will not be able to sustain a long career as those who don't rely on it.

Backlund will still be serviceable and able to contribute since his hockey iq and positional play is the main reason for his success. Notwithstanding his ability to win board and puck battles.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #106
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why wouldn't we just sign Eaves/Vrbata/Oshie/Radulov instead of downgrading at center to add Gallagher?

I'd rather 82 games of the better defensively Backlund than 50-70 games of the bigger Hanzal. Trading a center for a RW so you can sign a center in FA makes little sense if you can just sign a RW in FA.

Hanzal has also hit 20G once in his career, while Gallagher has never hit 50 points, so not sure why we're labelling either of them as that type of producer.
All those names you just listed are on the wrong side of 30. I trade Backlund targeting a player that fits our core age. Yes your correct Hanzal has only hit 20 once but that's because of injuries. Gallagher will pot 50 points atleast on our top line. I guess it's more of a production of what they would do in Calgary.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #107
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hanzal career CF% 51.2 OZs% 47.9
Backlund career CF% 52.5 OZs% 44.6

Hanzal career GPG/PPG 0.19/0.52
Backlund career GPG/PPG 0.20/0.49

Hanzal career FO% 51.9 - Last 5 years FO% 54.5
Backlund career FO% 47.8 - Last 5 years FO% 47.8

Very comparable players IMO.

Backlund is a better possession driver, but Hanzal is no slouch and crushes face offs and brings a huge frame to the mix.

If they did trade Backlund to fill a hole somewhere, I'd be OK with Hanzal as the #2/#3 center behind Monahan, with Bennett hopefully being the other #2/#3 center with upside.
No, they aren't in the same stratosphere.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #108
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
All those names you just listed are on the wrong side of 30.
Uhh. And Hanzal isn't?

TBH, Hanzal isn't a bad player, but I just see it as redundant. This seems like a 'grass is always greener' type of move.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #109
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I understand that point of view and agree Backlund does his role better than anyone else on the roster could. This is about a long term move though and what the organization truly thinks about where they see players slotting. If the Flames believe Sam Bennett is a number 2 centre and Mark Jankowski will be a number 3 then Backlund would be the odd man out. Trading him now his value may never be higher and the Flames address one of there other needs. Losing Backlund potentially creates a hole but perhaps as Monahan, Bennett, Jankowski continue to progress and absorb his loss.
Meh, this is kind of a counting your eggs before they hatch scenario like Granteed pointed out with his Avalanche comparison.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #110
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
It's almost as if the moment we have a good thing people want to end it. First season in ages with 2 good centers. The combination of Monahan and Backlund is the best thing about our forward group.

We currently have zero prospects challenging for those spots. Backlund is only 28. He should easily have years of prime hockey left.

My guess is it's fear:

- we may have to pay too much

- we may lose him for nothing

- management doesn't appreciate him enough i.e. no "A"

- his performance may go down prematurely
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #111
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

I've noticed Calgarypuck has slowly been becoming more like HFboards in recent years where picks, prospects, potential and cap space become so coveted that they start to become more important than actual contributing NHL hockey players.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #112
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

His senior in vasteras seems to be an interesting comparable. Patrick Berglund signed a 5 year limited ntc clause contract worth 19.25 m this year. Berglund had a better start of career but seems to have tapered off into a 20-20 guy. Last contract Backlund took a comparable contract as well.

I don't expect elite money being doled out as he did lose elite level match ups to elite centers over the year.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #113
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought there wasn't really supposed to be a top 6 anymore.
Top line, middle 6, 4th line.
The problem is the Flames have a bottom 6 instead right now.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #114
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Would be weird to take the straw that stirs the drink on our best line and trade him for financial reasons, leaving Frolik there with the money that should go toward Backlund (plus a little). I like Frolik, but if the choice is between he and Backlund... easy choice.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #115
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund among league leaders in D zone starts. Always draws toughest competion. Still 35th in scoring among C (as listed by TSN). Still among league leaders in shot generation/possession stats.

If this is not a '2nd line center' please explain what is?
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #116
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Uhh. And Hanzal isn't?

TBH, Hanzal isn't a bad player, but I just see it as redundant. This seems like a 'grass is always greener' type of move.
That's fair. I'm just looking at this as an attempt to maximize assets. I love Backlunds game. I just feel we need to keep our options open. Don't rush out to pay Backlund 5.5+, and I'm sure Tre won't.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #117
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me the two best Flames this season were Giordano and Backlund. I'm not up to predicting how future Backlund will do, but as is I think he's worth $5M per.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #118
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Backlund among league leaders in D zone starts. Always draws toughest competion. Still 35th in scoring among C (as listed by TSN). Still among league leaders in shot generation/possession stats.

If this is not a '2nd line center' please explain what is?
Malkin?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #119
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Malkin?
Haha. Yes well. It'd be nice.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #120
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Zero prospects? Bennett and Jankowski are the 2 players that are looking at filling the 2nd 3rd line role. If Backlund had more years on his contract it wouldn't be a discussion but next year he could command big bucks and if the Flamesmdont sign him they could lose him for nothing. They couldnsign him and have trouble keeping Bennett, Tkachuk, or extending Brodie.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote