Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #221
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
He's been a free agent for a day and this is already dragging on for you? Your bias is obvious.
HAHAH. That's right.....the noise surrounding Vesey is all just brand new as of 8/15 when he became a free agent. come on.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #222
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
How good of prospect is Vessey? Is he going to step straight into a top 6 NHL spot?

Where would he fit with Connor, Motte, Compher, Jankowski?

Is he that much better than Jankowski that a team can offer him a free pass to NHL ice time?
The Predators thought he was good enough that they were going to gift him a top 9 spot in the playoffs.

Vesey is most probably not an elite offensive talent. He is according to many NHL execs and scouts, NHL ready or close to it. That is because he plays a pro style game, using his size and mobility.

IMO he most likely projects into a consistent 20 goal scorer in the NHL and that is why there is a long lineup of teams wanting to sign him.

Lets not forget that Vesey is almost 1.5 years older than Jankowski.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-16-2016 at 09:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #223
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

And he's free to sign. I think the biggest thing here is that there is no acquisition cost because he's a free agent. If he's as good as your second best prospect then you have the option of having 2 players of that level or you could use the one you already have in a trade. He's also going to sign an ELC so he won't even take up that much cap space.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #224
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't get the not wanting to play in Nashville.

Team seems pretty decent to me, only getting better. Did he hate country music that much?
Old 08-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #225
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The Predators thought he was good enough that they were going to gift him a top 9 spot in the playoffs.

Vesey is most probably not an elite offensive talent. He is according to many NHL execs and scouts, NHL ready or close to it. That is because he plays a pro style game, using his size and mobility.

IMO he most likely projects into a consistent 20 goal scorer in the NHL and that is why there is a long lineup of teams wanting to sign him.

Lets not forget that Vesey is almost 2 years older than Jankowski.
He is listed as being average size. Is he bigger than his 6-1 195? He is not Kevin Hayes freak of nature size is he? Closer to Bill Arnold size.

The Flames were so taken with Arnold that they gave him an NHL game and burnt a year of his elc.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #226
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
He is listed as being average size. Is he bigger than his 6-1 195? He is not Kevin Hayes freak of nature size is he? Closer to Bill Arnold size.

The Flames were so taken with Arnold that they gave him an NHL game and burnt a year of his elc.
Vesey uses his body to shield the puck and he is pretty good at it to. He isn't a freak of nature, but in college he knew how to use his body to play physical and keep opponents off the puck.

Also how can you compare a team that was going to pick top 5 in the draft giving Arnold ice time in a meaningless last game of the season, to the Predators actually promising Vesey top 9 minutes for the rest of the season and playoffs?
Old 08-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #227
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't up in Chicago or Pittsburgh.

I think he will pick Chicago, but IMO he should pick Buffalo. I think Buffalo is a great up coming team with talent that he can grow with. Playing with his friend Eichel can help him make those bonuses.

I don't think he would get much PP with Pitt. I can't see GM Lou of the leafs giving him max bonuses. I get him likeing his hometown of Boston, but he would be on third line if he wants to play LW.

I am sure Flames will make a call, but i doubt they will be given much consideration.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #228
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
HAHAH. That's right.....the noise surrounding Vesey is all just brand new as of 8/15 when he became a free agent. come on.
No one is forcing anyone to pay attention to that noise. His camp clearly stated way back then he's going to wait till Aug 15. So its not from him, he's basically kept quiet.

Plus, it's rather quiet out there, little bit of noise isn't going to hurt anyone.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #229
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs
Per sources, the Bruins will be the last team to speak w/Jimmy Vesey and his camp tomorrow. So they'll get the last word, at the very least

Tomorrow is the last day Vesey will be meeting with teams.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #230
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I think he will pick Chicago, but IMO he should pick Buffalo Calgary. I think Buffalo Calgary is a great up coming team with talent that he can grow with. Playing with his friend Eichel Sam Bennett can help him make those bonuses.
Fixed

All kidding aside I think he can, should, and will pick Chicago. His contract will be the same regardless of where he signs so really I think it comes down to how likely he is to hit his bonuses & where he'll have a chance to win right away. IMO the best combo of those two will be with the (damn) Blackhawks.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #231
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Fixed

All kidding aside I think he can, should, and will pick Chicago. His contract will be the same regardless of where he signs so really I think it comes down to how likely he is to hit his bonuses & where he'll have a chance to win right away. IMO the best combo of those two will be with the (damn) Blackhawks.
Not sure the Hawks have the cap space to sign him.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #232
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does that make The Decision on Wednesday or Thursday?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #233
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
His agent said no decision is expected until Friday
Old 08-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #234
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
He's Canadian.
Not that Im on the Vesey train, but the Flames have probably the 2nd best American player in the world (and probably soon to be the best) on their team, who was also a College star and is in his age range.

If nothing else, it doesn't hurt the chances.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #235
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
How good of prospect is Vessey? Is he going to step straight into a top 6 NHL spot?

Where would he fit with Connor, Motte, Compher, Jankowski?
Yes around the time he finished college hockey the talk was that most scouts thought he was NHL ready for a top 6 role.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-5...pects-1.436669

Craig Button had him as the 8th best prospect outside the NHL this spring. Connor was ranked 5th and none of Motte, Compher or Jankowski made the top 50.

Quote:
Is he that much better than Jankowski that a team can offer him a free pass to NHL ice time?
Jankowski is still less developed and further out. They aren't really at a similar stage in their career and development. But yes, he seems to be considered as at least as good of a prospect as Jankowski if not a better prospect.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #236
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
In this fall... this is very tough... in this fall I'm going to take my talents to South Beach and join the Florida Panthers.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #237
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke on TSN says we aren't in on him. He also said the college free agents have about as much impact on the NHL as a pimple on a butt, or words to that effect.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #238
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke (on TSN) says Flames aren't in on Vesey. The most amusing was his characterizing the impact of college UFAs as extremely insignificant, like "...a pimple on an elephants butt."
Old 08-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #239
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
He's been a free agent for a day and this is already dragging on for you? Your bias is obvious.
My bias is towards players that let their game demonstrate their worth rather than those who start burning teams and playing a hype game before their first NHL game.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #240
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Burke (on TSN) says Flames aren't in on Vesey. The most amusing was his characterizing the impact of college UFAs as extremely insignificant, like "...a pimple on an elephants butt."
It's funny, but does that mean if Janko or Gaudreau had waited an extra couple of months that they would be worthless?

Sounds more like he does not care, because Vesey probably wanted nothing to do with the flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread