Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
Default Police critically man at Occupy Oakland-update;police ask youtube to remove videos

...and then tear gas the people trying to rescue him. Really crappy story out of Oakland. The worst part is, they denied a lot of it happened the way it did, when the videos obviously say otherwise. Just brutal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1033159.html

Last edited by jayswin; 10-27-2011 at 12:25 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

The war vet part seems like an aside...but it's pretty brutal they tear gassed the guys going to help him.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
jayswin

Exp:

I see it's being discussed a bit in the Occupy thread, but I think this is big enough news to warrant it's own thread.

The worst part of the video in that link, is seeing the dozens of people going to aid a motionless body, with police standing 5 feet away behind a fence, who can obviously see that these people are trying to rescue this guy and then they just casually lob another grenade into the crowd, right where the critically injured guy is. F-in brutal.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
The war vet part seems like an aside...but it's pretty brutal they tear gassed the guys going to help him.

Yeah, no doubt the media is using the Iraq soldier thing to make it more of a story. Still terrible, non the less.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Shasta Beast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why were they being cleared out? Were the illegally protesting? It doesn't say. F* the cops, bloody sick when they toss a flashbang into the crowd going to his aid.
Shasta Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it comes down to it, the cops are controlled by the politicians and the politicians are controlled by big business. In a situation of dissent by the people, they become hired mercenaries, not protectors of the public.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Stumptown
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Reading through the Twitter posts from the press conference just now. (interim) chief of police claiming he hasn't heard about any injuries among protesters, and again claiming that they never shot any rubber bullets, even though many protesters posted photos of them last night. Mayor also claiming she didn't authorize the take down. Considering they pulled in police from several other cities to do the job, that claim seems rather incredible.

Last edited by Stumptown; 10-26-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Stumptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumptown View Post
Reading through the Twitter posts from the press conference just now. (interim) chief of police claiming he hasn't heard about any injuries among protesters, and again claiming that they never shot any rubber bullets, even though many protesters posted photos of them last night. Mayor also claiming she didn't authorize the take down. Considering they pulled in police from several other cities to do the job, that claim seems rather incredible.

Wow, she sounds pretty stupid saying those things. It's baffling how you could try and cover things up with the way social media is now a days. I wannamaker pay for this stupidity.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
...and then tear gas the people trying to rescue him. Really crappy story out of Oakland. The worst part is, they denied a lot of it happened the way it did, when the videos obviously say otherwise. Just brutal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1033159.html
the worst part is that all these idiots out doing #occupy crap... but who honestly thought Oakland could have a peaceful demonstration? Hell the state of California should be occupying anything, they get more money from the government than they put into the government.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
18flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think this #Occupy stuff is stupid(in as nice of words I can post here) This stuff leads to riots, I'm glad they got gassed, when the police tell you to get back, then get the hell back.
18flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

"medic!"

I hope the next time I am critically injured I don't have people screaming, "whats your name?" in my face over and over.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
Stumptown
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, she sounds pretty stupid saying those things. It's baffling how you could try and cover things up with the way social media is now a days. I wannamaker pay for this stupidity.
Already a lot of calls for her to resign. More details I was able to glean, she says she was not informed when it would happen. So either she's lying, or the police don't think they need to go through the mayor's office for this kind of action. And the Oakland cops say *they* never fired the rubber bullets, it must have been cops from *other* cities that they brought in to do their dirty work for them. I'm sure that's going make people feel so much better about their police.
Stumptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #13
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting, Google is claiming they've received a request to remove videos from YouTube showing police brutality in Oakland.

Quote:
We received a request from a local law enforcement agency to remove YouTube videos of police brutality, which we did not remove. Separately, we received requests from a different local law enforcement agency for removal of videos allegedly defaming law enforcement officials. We did not comply with those requests, which we have categorized in this Report as defamation requests.
<http://www.google.com/transparencyre.../US/?p=2011-06>
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #14
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Interesting, Google is claiming they've received a request to remove videos from YouTube showing police brutality in Oakland.

<http://www.google.com/transparencyre.../US/?p=2011-06>

Holy crap, these guys are just absolute idiots with social media. They're making every wrong move you could possibly make.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #15
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I was going to write in one of the other Occupy threads that a clash could be coming soon. I didn't hear that Oakland was planning on clearing out the protesters though, I thought it might happen because of a minor incident between protesters and police that got out of control for some reason. The fact that it happened the way it did, especially with the video evidence of police brutality, could really strengthen the movement and possibly shift it's relatively peaceful tone so far.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate my freaking thanks shortages.

Nice job.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #17
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I accidentally a coca-cola bottle

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #18
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Accidentally whole?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #19
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Accidentally whole?
Yes, I accidentally the whole coca-cola bottle.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #20
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
yes, i accidentally the whole coca-cola bottle.
"medic!"
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote