Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Eb0la11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Burke Not Thrilled with Baertschi

Didnt see it posted anywhere but theres a soundbite on sportsnet with Burke's displeasure with Baertschi through training camp.

Discuss. I also want to clarify I am not an advocate of making Baertschi some kind of new whipping boy, but he didn't show much desire in camp.
Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

there is close to a dozen pages on this topic in this thread:
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=130769
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, considering the amount of faith so many fans put in Bärtschi's importance to the Calgary Flames future, this could be a valid new thread.

Burke's interview and comments about Sven were in Herald today and these comments were not flattering at all. He essentially said that Sven needs to start working in all three areas of the ice. He also said that despite some "flashes of offensive brilliance" he cannot see a complete player in Sven yet. Burke made it clear that it is too early to throw him under the bus but, make no mistake, Sven has been warned.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

but he hates the leafs more so I'm fine with it.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Burke said on day 1 after he was hired that he wasn't going to be in the spotlight... That he was going to be behind the scenes and not doing press conferences like this one. Didn't see any other presidents of other teams doing press conferences. He should just say "I'm not going to comment on any of our players assessment right now... I'll leave that to the General Manager."

I think Burke has a great hockey mind but I hate the way he hurts his teams when he gets in front of a camera. The stuff he said about baertschi only puts more pressure on a kid who is already feeling too much pressure as is. Plus, if I was Johnny gaudreau and I watched that comment about university hockey... I might think free agency sounds pretty good.

Before you say that I'm being too soft on the rookies... Let me be clear: I'm fine with the organization telling baertschi or any other player that he had a mediocre training camp and they want him to work on his game in all 3 zones... That's fine. I just don't like Burke using the media to put pressure on him. It only hurts the players relationship with the management and the fans.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
calgary2220
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I know pretty well everyone on here thinks Baertschi is the next coming of Christ. But I don't see it, sure he is a good player... I don't know about great. I think he needs a full season with Abby to get some confindence back. He has been injured every season so far... probably wouldn't hurt. I hope he becomes the player everyone thinks he is, but right now he has a long way to go.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't go to Abbotsford and Troy Ward to get your confidence back...
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
irrevocable
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Burke said on day 1 after he was hired that he wasn't going to be in the spotlight... That he was going to be behind the scenes and not doing press conferences like this one. Didn't see any other presidents of other teams doing press conferences. He should just say "I'm not going to comment on any of our players assessment right now... I'll leave that to the General Manager."

I think Burke has a great hockey mind but I hate the way he hurts his teams when he gets in front of a camera. The stuff he said about baertschi only puts more pressure on a kid who is already feeling too much pressure as is. Plus, if I was Johnny gaudreau and I watched that comment about university hockey... I might think free agency sounds pretty good.

Before you say that I'm being too soft on the rookies... Let me be clear: I'm fine with the organization telling baertschi or any other player that he had a mediocre training camp and they want him to work on his game in all 3 zones... That's fine. I just don't like Burke using the media to put pressure on him. It only hurts the players relationship with the management and the fans.
Nazem Kadri may have a different tale to tell--or not. I think it's important to realize that the mental makeup of these young players has always been scrutinized. Kadri was kept down, sent down, called out, and personal references to his habits were made. He turned out okay.

I'm just saying that the sooner a young player can become mentally strong the better off for the team and for the individual himself.

Sven is one hell of a young man. He'll be fine--even with some media pressure thrown his way. I don't think Burke did anything wrong here. He was honest and to the point.
irrevocable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irrevocable For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrevocable View Post
... I don't think Burke did anything wrong here. He was honest and to the point.
I agree. As a fan, I would rather hear the real thoughts from the team executives than the meaningless whitewash. This is much more entertaining.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

No reason to have two threads on this topic.

Frankly, one is too much, Burke simple said Bärtschi was good, but needed to be better in a few more words.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
...Burke simple said Bärtschi was good, but needed to be better in a few more words.
I don't think you've read the interview. It was way stronger and harsher than that.

ADDED:

Quote:
Burke, president of hockey operations, had not pulled punches earlier when asked about the Flames’ first-round pick from 2011.
“All I’ve seen so far are flashes of brilliance . . . (which) are fine if you’re working in a university, but they’re not much good to people in an NHL building,” he said. “There are three zones on the ice surface in this league. I don’t see that he’s learned to compete in two of them. He’s got to learn there’s a clock in this league and there’s so many minutes in a game and you have to compete through all of them. I see this as a guy right now who’s focusing on one area — and, even then, sporadically.
“So I don’t know what we have. I’m not ready to quit on the young kid. I’m not ready to throw him under the bus and rip him, but I think you can tell from my comments that I see big holes and a lack of commitment that’s not going to get him anywhere in my books.”
Okey dokey.
Burke did point out that Baertschi is green — he turns 21 on Saturday — and far from a writeoff.
Quote:
Feaster agreed.
“Sven is still very much a work in progress,” Feaster said. “There are times when you watch Sven and say, ‘Boy, that’s so exciting,’ and you smile with anticipation about what could be. And then there are other times — and I think Brian’s right — when you look in the other two zones and you say, ‘Oh boy, we need to work on that.’ He’s still trying to figure out how to be a good pro, how to prepare every day.
“I met with Sven over the weekend and I told him, ‘We’re going to help you. You need to trust us. You need to do the things the coaches are asking you to do. But we’re going to get through this together.’ ”

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 10-01-2013 at 11:36 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
irrevocable
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I agree. As a fan, I would rather hear the real thoughts from the team executives than the meaningless whitewash. This is much more entertaining.
Aye, we're in agreement. I don't like stereotypical answers or the same old cliche nonsense. Burke joining the organization gives a fresh set of eyes to evaluate and prepare players for success. Sven needs to keep that fire alive and work towards whatever the coaching staff has for him. I'm willing to bet that the very moment he is working his tail off outside the offensive zone--that he'll get more ice-time. Then with that increased role his flare for driving offense will take care of itself.

I personally can't wait to see what this young player is made of. I think he'll blossom.
irrevocable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irrevocable For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you've read the interview. It was way stronger and harsher than that.
I heard the interview played several times on fan 960 yesterday. Burke just sounds harsh when he's talking.

Criticism isn't a bad thing. Bärtschi is a hard worker, and seems willing to learn. Being reminded that he's not there yet isn't a bad thing.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

Burke is one of three people across the league that hold this position - and the dork up North is in every bloody press conference. Armstrong in St. Louis I believe is the other one, and he gives quotes from time to time as well.

Burke is the boss and talks honestly. We, as a fan base, can't sit back and criticize an organization for previously being intellectually dishonest and then bash them today for being honest.

People on CP noted Baertschi's lacklustre training camp...so when the boss man is asked his opinion, I'm glad he's open and honest about it.

(on a side note, I also liked how Feaster handled the Baertschi questions)
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

ADDED:
Ifyou listen to the audio he doesn't come across nearly as abrupt or harsh.

It is no big deal.....lots of participation medal winning, mentorship requiring, spoon fed, live at home to 25, I have a master's give me 100k right now, look at my shiny pinky ring, please pet me.....people, totally not on this board, have their panties in a bunch.

Not poking you Captain...it is a different context if you hear the audio.

Last edited by BigFlameDog; 10-01-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: clarify
BigFlameDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've made it pretty clear that I think a lot of what hinders Baertschi is his confidence, but I also have no problem with tough love. What drives me crazy is what Feaster was doing, singing high praises like he's the next saviour and then demoting him and saying "oh well it's just not quite there".

Burke is good for tough love, and these comments were not only good for Baertschi, but good for the fans. It gives everyone a very clear picture as to what Baertschi needs to do to put it all together, and it lets the fans know that if he's sent down, THIS is why.
Overall, really like the comments. Honest and potent, which is something this whole franchise misses more than often.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

ADDED:
how so?
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Burke even said at the start of his press conference that this was in response to media requests for his time - he is not forcing himself out there ahead of Jay, even making it clear he will not comment on the final roster as that is Jay's role. So let's put it out there - Burke was responding to media requests, media request him because he will make quotable statements, he is clear within his boundaries as to his role, but can and will offer comments when appropriate.

Now, to the Sven talk. Burke is right to call him out, and I agree with many other posters that he comes across more harsh than he is when you read those little snippets. You get a better impression from the whole context of the press conference. From listening to the press conference, the feeling I got is that Sven is a valued prospect, but he has holes in his game that need to be addressed, and his approach has not always been right. He also said he has seen players in that position solidify their game and become good pros. It is the way Burke talks - he doesn't mince words. I am sure the management and coaching team are talking to Sven internally about what he needs to do, and this is not just an airing of grievances in the public forum
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE_Overstand View Post
how so?
I guess some people need to read things twice.

Quote:
“There are three zones on the ice surface in this league. I don’t see that he’s learned to compete in two of them. He’s got to learn there’s a clock in this league and there’s so many minutes in a game and you have to compete through all of them. I see this as a guy right now who’s focusing on one area — and, even then, sporadically.
“So I don’t know what we have. I’m not ready to quit on the young kid. I’m not ready to throw him under the bus and rip him, but I think you can tell from my comments that I see big holes and a lack of commitment that’s not going to get him anywhere in my books.”
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm surprised very few people are bringing Feaster's comments into this where he pretty much says that Sven is still learning how to prepare like a professional, but when he does he's a very effective player.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote