Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #61
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poachers aren't hunters. They are thieves.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #62
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between documentation basically proving it was him, and the fact he's a repeat offender (who faced potential jail time the previous occasion), I find it difficult to believe it's a wrongful accusation.

I don't agree with having his practice ripped away from him, but if enough patients boycotted to the point he had to close his doors, I would be lying if I said I was outraged about it..I certainly would sympathize with his staff, much like I would any employee who's boss committed a serious crime that resulted in the company going under and them being out of work. Frankly I'd be more mad at my employer for being such a reckless idiot that it cost me my job.

I certainly agree the way our society is going regarding public shaming is troubling and very, very scary. Hopefully some form of legislation develops in this area in the next few years preventing how prevalent it currently is. However, I see a chasm of difference between guy pulling dick moves on the road/drunk people yelling obscenities into a reporter's mic/wobbly H's at the Stampede, etc facing "public justice", versus the party who illegally lured a beloved, currently studied lion with food from a protected reserve, shoot it with a crossbow, and leave it to suffer in agony for almost 2 days straight until finally put out of its misery.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #63
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Public shamings are scary. People can ruin someone's reputation so easily. Even this guy, does he deserve to have his livliehood taken from him, as horrible as his action? It destroys families. It's also possible to destroy lives with wrong accusations.
Okay, the taxi guy I can feel some sympathy for since it was likely something he did drunk several years ago. But when he is a repeat offender, tried to destroy evidence of wrong doing, tried to evade prosecution by hiding behind others in the past and publicly posted the pictures of your criminal accomplishments afterwards, I can't say I feel much sympathy for him.
In this case there is no possibility of wrong accusations.

Public shaming also helps too. The shark fin crazy lady shaming incident in Hong Kong caused enough focus on the issue to stop a lot of the finning trade there.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #64
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The people calling for his practice to fail aren't thinking of the people he employs. They'll be out of a job too, and they've done nothing wrong. I don't know how hard hygienist and receptionist jobs are to come by where he lives but that could be devastating.
It sucks for them, but Dr. Palmer is the only one to blame. He did a very selfish thing on many levels and has been public about these deeds.

The protection of endangered animals is a serious issue that affects the whole planet for generations. If a few people lose their jobs but it helps keep this maniac from doing it again, it is probably acceptable collateral damage in the big picture.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-29-2015 at 07:04 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #65
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly. No one flies all the way to Africa to kill a lion and take its head back to the US thinking "well gee, this is totally normal and not at all wrong"
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #66
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The people calling for his practice to fail aren't thinking of the people he employs. They'll be out of a job too, and they've done nothing wrong. I don't know how hard hygienist and receptionist jobs are to come by where he lives but that could be devastating.
Maybe he should have thought about his employees before flying over to Africa doing something disgusting and illegal.

This guy deserves everything he is getting.

Maybe this will makr the next rich asshat think twice.

P.s. This can't be real right? https://mobile.twitter.com/RiverBluf...09326512422913

Last edited by Jbo; 07-28-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #67
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like it's real. Crazy.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:22 PM   #68
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Twitter account is either someone trolling them, or they really need to hire a "crisis management" PR firm ASAP (which they probably should do either way).

Of all the ways they could have responded to this, that's probably the worst possible way (shutting the #### up and waiting a few weeks until the internet gets outraged about something else is probably the best way to react).
Old 07-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #69
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #70
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Maybe he should have thought about his employees before flying over to Africa doing something disgusting and illegal.

This guy deserves everything he is getting.

Maybe this will makr the next rich asshat think twice.

P.s. This can't be real right? https://mobile.twitter.com/RiverBluf...09326512422913
I think it is fake. The Twitter handle is missing an f in the word "bluff"...common trick in setting up fake Twitter accounts.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #71
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, Jimmy Kimmel was pissed.. I have never seen him like that.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #72
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

This whole situation has made me irrationally angry. I can't imagine looking at a lion and thinking "Man, I'd really love to shoot that thing." Sometimes, humans really are the worst.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #73
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely a fake Twitter account considering it only has tweets starting yesterday. I think there's some valid concerns about online shaming here affecting people besides the dentist, but while he's gonna lose customers (ideally all of them), those customers will still need dental work so you'd think any job losses would be mitigated by more work needed at other dentistries.

Where the online shaming could really help this issue is that it can kill the whole point of slaughtering the animals for trophy: the ego and vanity. If you choose to post these types of pictures online or anywhere in public domain, which is a huge driver of ego and vanity, you're opening yourself up to a life destroying experience. Might stop a few more people from doing it.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #74
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
However, the ruin I hope this story brings to his business and life, will have to suffice.
Sorry, but hearing this makes me sick. What's the end game here when we, the internet, ruins his life? Should we hope his kids are bullied at school too? Maybe his wife will divorce him? It looks like his practice has already been attacked and destroyed. Maybe he'll see no end and commit suicide, will you be happy then?

And when that happens did the punishment fit the crime? Why even bother with an actual justice system when we have the internet mob taking care of business.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #75
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Sorry, but hearing this makes me sick. What's the end game here when we, the internet, ruins his life? Should we hope his kids are bullied at school too? Maybe his wife will divorce him? It looks like his practice has already been attacked and destroyed. Maybe he'll see no end and commit suicide, will you be happy then?

And when that happens did the punishment fit the crime? Why even bother with an actual justice system when we have the internet mob taking care of business.
One less parasite sucking the essence out of the planet with their public displays of savagery might not be a bad thing.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #76
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post

The guy has been convicted of poaching before. He settled a sexual harassment suit with an employee at his office, then flew off to kill a lion illegally. Sorry but his story makes me sick. We (you or I) are not "the" internet. We live in a world though where actions have consequences. Maybe he should have thought about all those things before he did what he did. Does that beautiful lion get a second chance? Did the hunter care while it lay bleeding and dying for 40 hours. Nope.

So go ahead and be sick about it, but maybe internet justice will fit the crime a hell of a lot more then any judicial proceedings.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #77
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Public shamings are scary. People can ruin someone's reputation so easily. Even this guy, does he deserve to have his livliehood taken from him, as horrible as his action? It destroys families. It's also possible to destroy lives with wrong accusations.
Yes. He is a sociopathic poacher, and his illegal hunting is funded by his dental practice. I feel bad for any employees that will lose their jobs when his practice inevitably closes, but honestly, he deserves it.

On a meta level, can I just say that bumping old threads with entirely different incidents that only relate on a tangental level is incredibly annoying? This should have been its own thread, as the title and topic are now both confusing and misleading.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #78
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
So go ahead and be sick about it, but maybe internet justice will fit the crime a hell of a lot more then any judicial proceedings.
Yep, great. This is exactly where we're headed as a society and it's frightening as hell that there's people that enjoy it and support it, including many on CP.

I don't know if you've noticed but public shaming is a full force kind of thing, you don't get to choose that it exists for extreme cases, it either becomes a prevalent part of our society (which it has already in a way) or we work together to put a stop to it.

And unfortunately too many seem to lack the understanding of it's levels of destruction and support it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #79
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Totally agree; frightening doesn't do this trend enough justice. It's absolutely terrifying.

I think this guy is garbage, but once again, just in principle, I cannot get behind the social media jihad thing that seems to have completely taken over culture generally. I'm really pretty glad that my online persona is either anonymous or extremely limited (i.e. keeping my facebook friends down to people who are actually my friends).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #80
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
but maybe internet justice will fit the crime a hell of a lot more then any judicial proceedings.
Just to put this into perspective, we have many posts in this thread calling for his life. There are thousands more death threats on the internet. We live in a country were there is no death penalty for the harshest of crimes yet people are calling for his life?

This isn't social justice, it's a modern day witch hunt.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post: