Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2024, 10:42 AM   #1641
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the few things that I really like about modern Refereeing.

That Spurs shot that skipped across goal looked for all intents and purposes over the line, but the defender clears it.

Of course the Spurs players protest, I can't blame them, that looked in as hell to me too. But the Ref just taps the watch and shrugs his shoulders.

"Goal-Line Tech says it wasnt over the line."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:48 AM   #1642
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sheffield throwing away a 3-1 lead against Fulham, Luton also losing to Spurs after being up 1-0. Killer results in the relegation battle.

maybe Burnley can hold on to a draw at Chelsea (lol), but even that doesn't really help them.

Last edited by devo22; 03-30-2024 at 10:54 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:57 AM   #1643
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Damn this is an exciting Matchday Live. Lots of back and forths.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 10:58 AM   #1644
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cole Palmer is one of the most important signings in recent history, because without him Chelsea would be getting relegated. Absolute clown shoe club.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:58 AM   #1645
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
if anyone is looking for a horseshoe, they are all up Leverkusen's collective asses this season

another 2-1 win thanks to goals after 88 and 91 minutes respectively. Really can't make this up lol
Again, people are saying that Bayern are bottling it, but Leverkusen are just untouchable this season.

Luck, skill, whatever you want to call it. Thats just an amazing team to watch.

Boo for a Spuds lead. But yay! For an Everton loss on an own-goal!

Pickford is just so unlikeable. One of the most punchable faces on the planet.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-30-2024, 12:57 PM   #1646
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
One of the few things that I really like about modern Refereeing.

That Spurs shot that skipped across goal looked for all intents and purposes over the line, but the defender clears it.

Of course the Spurs players protest, I can't blame them, that looked in as hell to me too. But the Ref just taps the watch and shrugs his shoulders.

"Goal-Line Tech says it wasnt over the line."
The goal line tech is so good. It’s not something you can argue, basically immediate and seems like it’s accepted by everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Cole Palmer is one of the most important signings in recent history, because without him Chelsea would be getting relegated. Absolute clown shoe club.
Love to see it though. Palmer aside, it’s been great to see them sign all these guys and have almost nothing to show for it. I also love that they’ve got no easy way out. Like they can’t sell guys and fix their FFP conundrum easily, unless it’s homegrown players.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 04:48 PM   #1647
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The goal line tech is so good. It’s not something you can argue, basically immediate and seems like it’s accepted by everyone.
Thats the kind of reffing we want. That is glorious.

No muss, no fuss, no debate and almost immediate and universally accepted. The watch says it didnt go in. Keep playing.

Again, I'm not going to rag on the Spurs players, in the heat of the moment I'd have probably been the same because that looked like it was in.

But the Ref's watch didnt go off which means it wasnt completely over the line and everyone just got on with the game. Perfect.

We need that kind of fast, linear simplicity for off-side. But they have to figure off-side out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 07:28 PM   #1648
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats the kind of reffing we want. That is glorious.

No muss, no fuss, no debate and almost immediate and universally accepted. The watch says it didnt go in. Keep playing.

Again, I'm not going to rag on the Spurs players, in the heat of the moment I'd have probably been the same because that looked like it was in.

But the Ref's watch didnt go off which means it wasnt completely over the line and everyone just got on with the game. Perfect.

We need that kind of fast, linear simplicity for off-side. But they have to figure off-side out.
We used to have it. A guy would raise a flag if you were offside and that was that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 10:59 AM   #1649
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, this City/Gunners game has been scrappy. Its actually been a lot of fun.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:09 AM   #1650
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just keep firing blanks for a few more minutes.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:24 AM   #1651
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good day for Liverpool
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 11:24 AM   #1652
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a Liverpool fan it was obviously the ideal result, but only an accountant could find that game "fun" lol. But both games this season between these two were pretty bad, hopefully we don't get these two in the UCL semis if that is the quality we can expect. Although to be fair to them it's more or less the standard in big games these days, teams play timid to avoid making mistakes, which usually makes for a drab affair.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:29 AM   #1653
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As a Liverpool fan it was obviously the ideal result, but only an accountant could find that game "fun" lol. But both games this season between these two were pretty bad, hopefully we don't get these two in the UCL semis if that is the quality we can expect. Although to be fair to them it's more or less the standard in big games these days, teams play timid to avoid making mistakes, which usually makes for a drab affair.
Well here goes your Helicopter Ride invitation.

It was scrappy at times, but kind of in that hilarious 'middle-school' way? You want to be involved and provoke...but just only a little bit so you dont get in trouble?

There were moments where each team got into it but not many.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:35 AM   #1654
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsenal came to not lose, which is the be expected, so I'm somewhat inclined to give them a pass. Although what does it say about their mental fragility that avoiding losing trumped winning? They've lost control of their destiny now by not winning. But Man City really needed that win and they were at home, they should have been the more willing side to lose this, but really didn't generate much. Dominated possession, but so what?
Old 03-31-2024, 11:39 AM   #1655
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Arsenal came to not lose, which is the be expected, so I'm somewhat inclined to give them a pass. Although what does it say about their mental fragility that avoiding losing trumped winning? They've lost control of their destiny now by not winning. But Man City really needed that win and they were at home, they should have been the more willing side to lose this, but really didn't generate much. Dominated possession, but so what?
"Senator, meet Pep....Pep, meet Mr. Clay Davis."

Possession is all Pep cares about.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:44 AM   #1656
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah they usually generate an xG over 2 with all that possession and not the 0.8 they did today. Today wasn't even like a lot of their games this year where they generate a ton, but didn't convert with poor finishing. It was just a bad game that we should all try and forget ASAP.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:24 PM   #1657
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah they usually generate an xG over 2 with all that possession and not the 0.8 they did today. Today wasn't even like a lot of their games this year where they generate a ton, but didn't convert with poor finishing. It was just a bad game that we should all try and forget ASAP.
Except...Liverpool remain in 1st.

And the race continues.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 01:04 PM   #1658
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Arsenal has 8/12 points vs the top 3 this season.
City have 3/12
Liverpool have 3/12

The only club to pull off a win(2) in these fixtures has been Arsenal.

City do not even have a win vs the top 5 this season; but it's Arsenal who are too mentally fragile to avoid losing and play for wins?

Laughable take
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 01:34 PM   #1659
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Arsenal has 8/12 points vs the top 3 this season.
City have 3/12
Liverpool have 3/12

The only club to pull off a win(2) in these fixtures has been Arsenal.

City do not even have a win vs the top 5 this season; but it's Arsenal who are too mentally fragile to avoid losing and play for wins?

Laughable take
I disagree on the mental fragility part, but they didnt play for the win

Average positioning shows that, everyone was behind the half line, brought me back to conte's spurs
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 02:04 PM   #1660
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
I disagree on the mental fragility part, but they didnt play for the win

Average positioning shows that, everyone was behind the half line, brought me back to conte's spurs
I agree they didn't play to win today. Even the subs were defensive.
They likely started wanting to, but adjusted to the match and tactically did what made sense. The wingers had to support and drop off, and everyone bought in because City were controlling.

For a team that always plays on the front foot, that in itself is mentally mature to adapt and play that way with discipline for 90+ minutes.
A clean sheet against the best club in a world who hasn't been held scoreless at home in 3 years is good.

If Arsenal opened up and lost 4-1, the same people criticizing would be saying same old Arsenal, defensively weak. Then if City won the league by a point, they'd look back at this match and say Arsenal should have defended better. You can't win with Arsenal haters.

Sometimes playing Conte football against City at the Etihad is ok; just don't give me Conte every match
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: