Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary Radio Ratings

I hadn't seen this mentioned.
Quote:
Talk Radio ruled the airwaves this past fall with cBc aM and aM 770 emerging as, respectively, the no. 1 and 2 stations in the city in the BBM ratings period measured between sept. 1 and oct. 26.

Among calgary radio listeners aged 12 and up, 10.8 per cent tuned in to cBc aM during the ratings period while 10 per cent listened to AM 770.
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...0-96ab249e7737

I'm not sure what the heck is going on with the capitalization in that article.

I find it pretty strange that the top 2 stations are AM talk radio. I wonder how much the elections affected that result. I'm a little disappointed Fuel 90.3 isn't in the top 10. I don't want them to change their playlist any more than they already have, but if they can't get the ratings I'm afraid will need to change and there will be more stations that ll sound the same.

In Montreal next rating period they are going to use a small device that picks up the signal in radio broadcasts to measure ratings as opposed to the diary type system in use today. They are finding that people don't necessarily record everything, and sometimes they record what they think they should be listening to instead of what they are listening to. http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/i...issue=11192008
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I listen to QR77 in the car. In fact, the only time I ever change the station is when I'm driving and there's a hockey game on. It goes right back to QR afterward though.

Edit: To me, the disturbing item in that list is Country radio at #3. What the hell are you people thinking?!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I wonder how much the elections affected that result. I'm a little disappointed Fuel 90.3 isn't in the top 10.
TBQH I really didn't see a need to tune to them. Their ads really never indicated what they played, so I never thought to give them a try. It wasn't until I was in a friend's car and he had it on that I decided I liked it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the majority of music played these days, I find most FM radio barely listenable when I'm in town. (maybe CJSW). Talk radio itself is still fairly enjoyable, and let's you atleast hear about the issues of the day.

Then again, hearing old coots get riled about the gubment on QR77 isn't that great either.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Fan 960 is saying Mike Richards doubled his market share.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Edit: To me, the disturbing item in that list is Country radio at #3. What the hell are you people thinking?!
Country music is just really popular. On Satellite Radio, Howard Stern is the number one channel followed by New Country. That is North America ratings.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't lived in Calgary for years, but still listen to Rutherford in the morning when I can

talk radio is the only thing worth listening to on any radio dial
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

wow cjay beaten by both vibe and lite96. I had no idea vibe even had listeners.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Fan 960 is saying Mike Richards doubled his market share.

That's actually what made me curious to know what the results were. The Richards ratings story is mentioned in a William Houston Globe article.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Sports/?query=
Quote:
Market share for The Fan 590's morning show, with Gord Stellick and Don Landry, dropped to 4.6 to 5.4.

The Fan 590's mid-afternoon show, with new hosts Jack Armstrong and Doug MacLean, had a share of 4.4, down from Chuck Swirsky's 4.9 a year ago.

In Calgary, The Fan 960 morning show with Mike Richards had a share of 6.9 and jumped to fourth place in the market from eighth.

At The Fan 990 in Montreal, the market share of P.J. Stock's early-afternoon show increased to 8.3 from 6.3.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

The election definitely had a big impact on the ratings. I wouldn't expect CBC One to have both the top ratings and the top morning show next time around (although that is what I listen to in the AM).

As for Country 105 being #3? That's easy...only one country FM station in the market, as opposed to several rock stations. Put another country station in the market and 105's ratings would decline in the same way CJAY's has since the got more competition.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
With the majority of music played these days, I find most FM radio barely listenable when I'm in town. (maybe CJSW). Talk radio itself is still fairly enjoyable, and let's you atleast hear about the issues of the day.

Then again, hearing old coots get riled about the gubment on QR77 isn't that great either.
I have to agree that I'm not overly fond of the personalities on QR (except Mark Stephen). Is there a better talk station? I'm tempted to try CBC Talk, but I tend to not usually like things that they say...
Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's usually talk/news radio for me, as I'm only in the car 20 minutes each way for my commute. AM770, 660 News, Fan 960 take up about 90% of my radio time, and if I'm in the mood for music, Country 105.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I should also mention that I like Dave Rutherford's show too. I always forget to mention it since I rarely get to listen to it... but whenever I do, it always gets my attention.

Edit: Had Charles Adler instead of Dave Rutherford... although I do like Adler On Line as well.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does Mike Richards increasing his share have anything to do with the fact that they made the morning show on 960 an hour longer?
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

The few times I listen to the radio when driving (iPod plugs into my stereo woot woot) I put it on either the Fan or maybe CJSW. Other then that...maybe 770 once in a while. I find that talk radio does keep me more awake when I'm driving though...gets me thinking and all that jazz.

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Not at all surprised to see Cjay going down. Both X929 and Fuel are far and away better stations.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #17
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Satellite Radio is the best thing to happen to my car.

However, if need be, I will switch over to 660 to listen to the top stories at the top of the hour, but won't touch any of the FM stations. Who wants to listen to nothing but commercials?

Opie and Anthony (& Jimmy) all the way for me.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im mostly on the Fan. If I want to listen to music Fuel is where I'm at for the most part. Vibe isn't even one of my presets. Not even on the second set of presets. If Anyone even remotely suggests putting on Vibe while Im driving they are kindly asked to step out of the vehicle, but I do not stop.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

The current ratings system is pretty much a joke. There will be a new system implement next year and some believe that it will expose the huge flaws in how radio is currently measured.

You should all listen to 660News - three, four, five times a day.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #20
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The current ratings system is pretty much a joke. There will be a new system implement next year and some believe that it will expose the huge flaws in how radio is currently measured.

You should all listen to 660News - three, four, five times a day.
LOL! Shameless!!

habernac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio , ratings