Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #721
hurtin_albertan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Torts is being lauded for protecting his players by playing his goons. Really? He was putting their heads in the way of his pride. He couldn't back down and had to one up Hartley. I've asked a million times with no response. What was the risk of starting his first line? A face wash for a Sedin? I don't get it.

When in history has a goon hurt a start player after a face off?
Well he didn't get hurt, but the Kessel/Scott situation applies here doesn't it?

Regardless, of all the goons there have ever been, McGrattan is the last guy that would fight or try to fight an inferior opponent. I wasn't familiar enough with Westgarth prior to Saturday to have said the same for him, but even he didn't throw punches at baby Bieksa, who is more than big enough to be able to handle himself. Being a coach as long as he has been, Torts would have had to have known that there was literally no risk in starting the sisters. I don't buy the "protect your players" argument for one second, and quite honestly I'm shocked to hear guys like Olczyk agreeing with it.
hurtin_albertan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #722
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtin_albertan View Post
Well he didn't get hurt, but the Kessel/Scott situation applies here doesn't it?

Regardless, of all the goons there have ever been, McGrattan is the last guy that would fight or try to fight an inferior opponent. I wasn't familiar enough with Westgarth prior to Saturday to have said the same for him, but even he didn't throw punches at baby Bieksa, who is more than big enough to be able to handle himself. Being a coach as long as he has been, Torts would have had to have known that there was literally no risk in starting the sisters. I don't buy the "protect your players" argument for one second, and quite honestly I'm shocked to hear guys like Olczyk agreeing with it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Scott just facewash Kessel trying to goad someone else into fighting him? All I remember is facewashes and wrestling with Kessel. If Scott really was going to hurt kessel he would have
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #723
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone who says Westgarth and Grats would have jumped the sisters isn't thinking logically. Westgarth didn't even jump bieksa. Look at Big Ern's fight card and tell me he's jumped anyone.

Meanwhile the canucks had jumped two players in the two preceding games. Tell me who is protecting who then? Frustrating that some can't seem to think this through rationally.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #724
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought this in response to McGrattan's hallway policing and overall conduct. Love that guy

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #725
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Anyone who says Westgarth and Grats would have jumped the sisters isn't thinking logically. Westgarth didn't even jump bieksa. Look at Big Ern's fight card and tell me he's jumped anyone.

Meanwhile the canucks had jumped two players in the two preceding games. Tell me who is protecting who then? Frustrating that some can't seem to think this through rationally.
To add to what you're saying.
Isn't it just as valid to argue that Calgary had to start the fourth line out of fear Vancouver was going to start theirs? They had last call after all, and as you point out, they have a history of jumping smaller players... what would have happened had Hudler and Stajan started? stupid argument, i know, but no more stupid then what all the Vancouver pundits are saying... in my humble opinion.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #726
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, technically Westgarth did jump Bieksa. But he didn't throw any real punches and left the coward alone when he fled the scene.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #727
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Kassian would kill SOB, SOB isn't a very good fighter anymore, not sure what happened to him.

It'd be interesting to see if Bouma could take Kassian though. Odds will still be heavily in favour of the caveman though.

I don't understand why Torts didn't start Kassian instead of Lain. If you knew there was gonna be a fight, does it really matter that Kassian wasn't a centre?

Again, a whole bunch of BS from the Canucks and Torts, playing the victim card. He could have "saved" Lain by simply putting Kassian in that position, but he chose not to.
Its not like Kassian is a great fighter either. His strategy is... hope the guy doesn't know I'm a lefty... throw one lefty punch off the start... then get pummeled unless he's going against a smaller or non-fighter.

PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #728
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1105150/va...orts-t-shirts/
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #729
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksmasher View Post
Ha, first glance when I read "Vancouver Canucks order" I was thinking that organization might just be low enough to order some of the T-Shirts.

But seriously, that victim mentality of the idiot shirt maker. "Why can't I use another person's face without permission on my shirt to make a profit? You guys must hate the little person." Woe is me.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #730
gradin-23
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtin_albertan View Post
I wasn't familiar enough with Westgarth prior to Saturday to have said the same for him, but even he didn't throw punches at baby Bieksa, who is more than big enough to be able to handle himself.
Bieksa is 40 lbs lighter, 4 inches shorter and plays 20 minutes a night. Westgarth wouldn't be playing hockey if it wasn't for fighting.

Now if Bieksa had put Monahan through the boards then he should expect to answer to Westgarth, but fighting a slug of the face off is just stupid.
gradin-23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #731
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Not posted yet but...

Quote:
Calgary Flames’ Brian Burke on brawl with Vancouver: ‘We all know the Canucks started#it
Quote:
In an earlier statement, Burke said he was “perplexed” by Hartley’s fine.

“I stand behind Bob Hartley completely in this regard, and remain confident that he acted properly in every aspect of this game,” he added.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...ks-started-it/
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #732
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice jab by the Phoenix Coyotes forward Rob Klinkhammer:

Quote:
Rob Klinkhammer ‏@RobKlinkhammer 4h
Wouldn't want to upset Canuck coaching staff & start the wrong line-up tomorrow night. #Emotional #Repeat
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #733
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradin-23 View Post
Bieksa is 40 lbs lighter, 4 inches shorter and plays 20 minutes a night. Westgarth wouldn't be playing hockey if it wasn't for fighting. .
Which is exactly his point. Bieksa, despite lining up against Westgarth, decided not to fight him and he didn't have to. Westgarth realized Bieksa didn't want to fight and decided not to even attempt to throw a punch. So the entire argument that McGrattan and Westgarth would have had the Sedins going to the ICU is faulty because we know they wouldn't have touched the Sedins.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #734
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Its not like Kassian is a great fighter either. His strategy is... hope the guy doesn't know I'm a lefty... throw one lefty punch off the start... then get pummeled unless he's going against a smaller or non-fighter.

Stewart and Clowe are probably two of the toughest light heavyweights in the league.

I hate the Canucks more than I love the Flames but Kassian would kill anyone on the Flames not named McGrattan or Westgarth.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #735
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Stewart and Clowe are probably two of the toughest light heavyweights in the league.

I hate the Canucks more than I love the Flames but Kassian would kill anyone on the Flames not named McGrattan or Westgarth.
O'Brien's being overlooked. This is a guy who went after Boogard. Got beat, but went after him.

He would easily hold his own against Kassian. Probably not win, but wouldn't be killed.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 01-25-2014 at 11:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #736
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Burke's hair could beat the #### out of Bieksa.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to normtwofinger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #737
gradin-23
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Which is exactly his point. Bieksa, despite lining up against Westgarth, decided not to fight him and he didn't have to. Westgarth realized Bieksa didn't want to fight and decided not to even attempt to throw a punch. So the entire argument that McGrattan and Westgarth would have had the Sedins going to the ICU is faulty because we know they wouldn't have touched the Sedins.
Actually the point was that Bieksa is "big enough". He isn't and he isn't unimportant enough either.

Back to McGratton / Westgarth. After watching McGratton concuss Alberts with a perfectly clean hit in which we all know Alberts embellished, I think it's a pretty smart move not to put out the Sedins. It isn't about them fighting, it's about the obvious message / tone the Flames were trying to set. I don't give a **** who the Flames start but to listen to the flow of stupid claiming what the Canucks "should have done" is comical at best, tragic at worst. Canucks won the game and Flames didn't prove a thing starting their 4th line.

To put it simply, there is no point putting out the Sedins on the first shift in that situation. You are free to disagree with that. The result speaks for itself.
gradin-23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #738
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradin-23 View Post
Actually the point was that Bieksa is "big enough". He isn't and he isn't unimportant enough either.

Back to McGratton / Westgarth. After watching McGratton concuss Alberts with a perfectly clean hit in which we all know Alberts embellished, I think it's a pretty smart move not to put out the Sedins. It isn't about them fighting, it's about the obvious message / tone the Flames were trying to set. I don't give a **** who the Flames start but to listen to the flow of stupid claiming what the Canucks "should have done" is comical at best, tragic at worst. Canucks won the game and Flames didn't prove a thing starting their 4th line.

To put it simply, there is no point putting out the Sedins on the first shift in that situation. You are free to disagree with that. The result speaks for itself.
What result? 3 staged fights and 2 other pairs of non-fighters fighting for the heck of it?

What does that have to do with the Sedins? Torts could have done whatever he wanted. The Flames were obviously trying to send a message, it's the same message every team is sending when they put out their fourth line, but it has never stopped Torts from playing his skill lines against them. It's been overblown, especially by Torts, because there's simply 0 proof the fourth line of the Flames would have fought anyone who didn't want to. Would they have hit hard if given the opportunity? Yes, because they do every time they are out there.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #739
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Ha, first glance when I read "Vancouver Canucks order" I was thinking that organization might just be low enough to order some of the T-Shirts.

But seriously, that victim mentality of the idiot shirt maker. "Why can't I use another person's face without permission on my shirt to make a profit? You guys must hate the little person." Woe is me.
Actually, the person who came up with the shirts is the only smart one. They are taking advantage of the victim mentality of Canuck fans. And, as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #740
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Actually, the person who came up with the shirts is the only smart one. They are taking advantage of the victim mentality of Canuck fans. And, as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.
Depends on how many shirts were left in the inventory. He's donated the left overs to a shelter, if he's donating a lot it's reasonable he could be down.