Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #701
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I still maintain that wasn't an elbow. Looks like he just got his hands up high.

The fact that he faced no supplemental discipline reinforces that notion. Funny that the Sportsnet panel kept trying to claim it was on par with the major elbowing suspensions we've seen this year already... larf.

Last edited by AC; 01-22-2014 at 03:05 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #702
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
The Oiler cheerle...I mean broadcasters made a little fun of Bieksa tonight. After he took a healthy run at Gazdic (who unsuccessfully tried to fight Kassian all game) they said he Gazdic/Gadzic? got Bieksa's number.

Something like, "well he wont get to fight Bieksa because Bieksa is a spot picker"
Be interesting to see if Kassian will fight SOB or someone tough on the Flames after his little routine last game.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #703
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Richard Sherman thinks we're thugs!

http://deadspin.com/richard-sherman-...cal-1506821800

Quote:
For the first time since breaking football, the media, and the internet, Richard Sherman addressed the reaction to his postgame interview, and his critics' use of the word "thug."

"The only reason it bothers me is because it seems like it's the accepted way of calling somebody the N-word nowadays. Because they know."
Quote:
"There was a hockey game where they didn't even play hockey, they just threw the puck aside and started fighting. I saw that, and said, 'Oh man, I'm the thug? What's going on here?'"

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #704
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Be interesting to see if Kassian will fight SOB or someone tough on the Flames after his little routine last game.
Kassian would kill SOB, SOB isn't a very good fighter anymore, not sure what happened to him.

It'd be interesting to see if Bouma could take Kassian though. Odds will still be heavily in favour of the caveman though.

I don't understand why Torts didn't start Kassian instead of Lain. If you knew there was gonna be a fight, does it really matter that Kassian wasn't a centre?

Again, a whole bunch of BS from the Canucks and Torts, playing the victim card. He could have "saved" Lain by simply putting Kassian in that position, but he chose not to.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #705
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kassian proved he is a little punk last night when he wouldn't fight Gadzic even though he was lipping him from the bench all game. I would seriously like to see Kassian get Ivanan'ed
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #706
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I still maintain that wasn't an elbow. Looks like he just got his hands up high.

The fact that he faced no supplemental discipline reinforces that notion. Funny that the Sportsnet panel kept trying to claim it was on par with the major elbowing suspensions we've seen this year already... larf.
That's fair, but Alberts has still missed almost a month of hockey from the hit.

My point is more that McGrattan and Westgarth following The Code™doesn't mean there aren't risks in sending out skill players against them to start a game where they've been given the task to set a physical tone.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #707
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Kassian proved he is a little punk last night when he wouldn't fight Gadzic even though he was lipping him from the bench all game. I would seriously like to see Kassian get Ivanan'ed
Why would he fight a scrub in a close game? How would that trade off benefit his team?
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #708
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That's fair, but Alberts has still missed almost a month of hockey from the hit.

My point is more that McGrattan and Westgarth following The Code™doesn't mean there aren't risks in sending out skill players against them to start a game where they've been given the task to set a physical tone.
What are the risks?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #709
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Why would he fight a scrub in a close game? How would that trade off benefit his team?
Dude should have awnsered for breaking Ganger's jaw in the pre-season. I'm not an Edmonton fan but I still think he should..........

northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #710
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it often happens in hockey that after you have injured someone on a team, you end up fighting later that game or in the future.

Kassian injured Gagne. Oilers wanted him to answer.

You earlier talked aboutMcGratton hurting Alberts. He has now fought the Canucks heavyweight twice since, once immediately after.

I am sure if you tried you could find dozens of examples.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #711
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Skilled players are sent out against the 4th line all the time why is the time in the game relevant now? There is no issue with who was out on the ice the issues are with the whining, complaining and excuse making coming from a certain sector.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #712
TriCitiesHockeyFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bieksa:

Quote:
“It was just clear, when you see (Calgary’s) Blair Jones asking a guy to fight — and he’s afraid of his own shadow — you see (Ladislav) Smid and a couple of those guys just looking for it, it’s hard to say no.”
Old 01-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #713
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The annoying thing is that Hartley, and rightfully so, is being called out for his BS story of why he did what he did, but Torts is just as guilt of making up crap about his reasons.

In what world does a 6'6" enforcer, who has had many pro hockey fights (sure AHL, but is there really that big of a drop off in fighters?) need protection? We're not taking about a teenager coming out of Jr.

Torts got his knickers in a twist because the Flames choose to dictate how this was going to go, and pushed him into a corner. Hartley made him look like a fool.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to metroneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #714
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bieksa is just an idiot, if there's a guy thats afraid of his own shadow its looking back at him in the mirror that he's shaving in front of.

and if the flames were really out to initiate fights then Smid and Jones wouldn't have been out there. SOB certainly would have been out there.

And based around the last few weeks its more then likely that the Canucks are out to hurt good players, but not in straight up fights but in chicken crap cheap shots.

Torts has certainly upped the cowardly slimeball factor on that team. They're not only still monumental divers but now they're gutless back biters.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #715
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post
The annoying thing is that Hartley, and rightfully so, is being called out for his BS story of why he did what he did, but Torts is just as guilt of making up crap about his reasons.

In what world does a 6'6" enforcer, who has had many pro hockey fights (sure AHL, but is there really that big of a drop off in fighters?) need protection? We're not taking about a teenager coming out of Jr.

Torts got his knickers in a twist because the Flames choose to dictate how this was going to go, and pushed him into a corner. Hartley made him look like a fool.
Hartley is getting criticized rightly so because he has a history of stuff like this

that's what the media are picking up on

Torts has a reputation of outbursts to the media but Hartley has a much poorer one for his tactics, the Marek/Wyshinski podcast tuesday covered it pretty well
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #716
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought scrubs fight scrubs all the time.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #717
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Kassian would kill SOB, SOB isn't a very good fighter anymore, not sure what happened to him.

It'd be interesting to see if Bouma could take Kassian though. Odds will still be heavily in favour of the caveman though.
While Bouma may be game, i don' t think he's that good of a fighter either. I think SOB woul fair better than him against kassian.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #718
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funny thing is, every other coach in the NHL would have looked at that as a prime opportunity to get the ball rolling in the right direction by putting out your #1 line and gaining some momentum on home ice. Any of the top teams would have looked at that starting lineup and walked over to the dressing room to say thank-you, not to try and pick a fight.

The Canucks organization is such a joke and is lost looking for what kind of team they should be. They can't bang with the big boys and they can't gun with them either but as long as they continue to not realize this their downward spiral will continue...awesome
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #719
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post
The funny thing is, every other coach in the NHL would have looked at that as a prime opportunity to get the ball rolling in the right direction by putting out your #1 line and gaining some momentum on home ice. Any of the top teams would have looked at that starting lineup and walked over to the dressing room to say thank-you, not to try and pick a fight.

The Canucks organization is such a joke and is lost looking for what kind of team they should be. They can't bang with the big boys and they can't gun with them either but as long as they continue to not realize this their downward spiral will continue...awesome
Torts is being lauded for protecting his players by playing his goons. Really? He was putting their heads in the way of his pride. He couldn't back down and had to one up Hartley. I've asked a million times with no response. What was the risk of starting his first line? A face wash for a Sedin? I don't get it.

When in history has a goon hurt a start player after a face off?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #720
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Hartley is getting criticized rightly so because he has a history of stuff like this

that's what the media are picking up on

Torts has a reputation of outbursts to the media but Hartley has a much poorer one for his tactics, the Marek/Wyshinski podcast tuesday covered it pretty well
Tortorella also has a history of sending his goons out to engage in brawling at the start of games then spoiling his diaper over it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote