Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #941
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a question and I thought this would be he place to ask it.

A friend picked up Mice and Mystics and it is awesome. What are some other games like it? My group is into the whole fantasy RPG over Sci-fi. I'm looking for something in the 1-2 hour playtime area.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #942
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post

A friend picked up Mice and Mystics and it is awesome. What are some other games like it? My group is into the whole fantasy RPG over Sci-fi. I'm looking for something in the 1-2 hour playtime area.
There's a few games, but 1-2 hours is tough. Descent second edition fits the theme, after a few plays you maybe able to keep it under 2 hours.

Myth is another game that would work, I haven't played it though.

Level 7 Omega Protocal is very popular and can be played under 2 hours however it's a Sci fi theme.
This post is terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to This post is terrible For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2016, 12:43 AM   #943
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by This post is terrible View Post
There's a few games, but 1-2 hours is tough. Descent second edition fits the theme, after a few plays you maybe able to keep it under 2 hours.

Myth is another game that would work, I haven't played it though.

Level 7 Omega Protocal is very popular and can be played under 2 hours however it's a Sci fi theme.

I use the 1-2 hour timeframe loosely. When we play Firefly games usually take 4 or more hours, despite calling for 2-3.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #944
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never liked the original Pandemic, it was too easy for one player to tell everybody what to do. Does Legacy remedy that in any way?
I find it allows for quite a bit of discussion. Things are constantly changing and new rules and mechanics are coming up. But that being said, no one in our group is really passive, we all play a lot of games together, and aren't afraid to speak up haha.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #945
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post

Myth was a kick starter game that had a ton of problems out of the gate and I stopped paying attention to it, not sure if they got it working well yet or not.

Descent is a great game, tactical dungeon crawler. Not as much exploration as you might like or story line development, but there are definitely RPG elements and it is heavily fantasy influenced.

Descent requires an Overlord though, until the new Co-Op app I just posted comes out in a few weeks anyway.. And if you want to play it with a campaign it will require several 2-4 hour sessions to get through the entire story line. You can however just pick random quests and buff your characters accordingly OR create your own campaign. There is also a bunch of fan made maps available through their official website with a map builder tool they released.

Another one that looks pretty good right now for a co-op fantasy RPG style is Sword and Sorcery on kickstarter, but it won't be out until the fall.

Other than that I think Arcadia Quest might be a good pick, up another dungeon game. The miniatures a bit more arcadeish or cartoonish, but I have heard the game is pretty solid. Tom Vassal is a Descent fanboi but he was raving about it, top 25 games he's ever played. You kind of play against each other in this one though while fighting against the monsters.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #946
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Yeah my friend said he found it for $40 at Chapters. I was more shocked at the $1000+ for the 3D one more than anything. Outrageous.
That's because anything 3-D will be custom made. Catan doesn;t actually make/sell them, they are just nerdy fans working tireless hours for their hobby.

My brother has been making a 3D version of the board and the work involved to make it look decent is pretty staggering, messy and time consuming. Basically, each individual piece is molded by hand and carved, baked, painted, varnished, etc...

Unless you have a kiln and a few child laborers, $1000 seems pretty much right for me.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #947
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Damn, why don't they mass produce a version of it? It looks so much better than the original.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #948
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Damn, why don't they mass produce a version of it? It looks so much better than the original.
Yeah, they could pretty easily make some molds and mass-produce some 3D models.

Even then, you probably wouldn't be able to get it for under $3-$400.

At the same time, part of the fun of the 3D ones is that you can make it any way you want. You could make a space one, a LOTR one, a contemporary one with cities and different resources, etc...

I think there are probably people who will make a custom one for you, but yea, not cheap.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #949
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Other than that I think Arcadia Quest might be a good pick, up another dungeon game. The miniatures a bit more arcadeish or cartoonish, but I have heard the game is pretty solid. Tom Vassal is a Descent fanboi but he was raving about it, top 25 games he's ever played. You kind of play against each other in this one though while fighting against the monsters.
Arcadia is a good choice, I pretty much went all in on its last Kickstarter, it feels more like a Free for all against the other players yet you still need to beat up the monsters. It has that odd semi co-op feeling like Legendary.
The Following User Says Thank You to This post is terrible For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #950
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I've yet to try it but its on my list, Imperial Assault and soon this new Descent app eat up a lot of time already. But there will always be time at a later date. To get such a high rating from Vassal though admittedly makes it bump a few notches up on the waiting list.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #951
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Locally designed and published semi-abstract strategy game Santorini is doing gangbusters on kickstarter. 100K (CAD) in a little over 24 hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ay-it-for-life
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #952
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Locally designed and published semi-abstract strategy game Santorini is doing gangbusters on kickstarter. 100K (CAD) in a little over 24 hours.

That's awesome

Calgary actually has a few published designers. Paul Saxberg, whose developing this game also has a title called Coven he designed.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #953
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Paul's a good guy and someone I've been fortunate to learn a lot about game design from. There's a great local community of designers who are really generous with their time and (often strong) opinions.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #954
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, Paul's a good guy and someone I've been fortunate to learn a lot about game design from. There's a great local community of designers who are really generous with their time and (often strong) opinions.
I've met up with that game designer group a couple of times, but Monday is such a bad day for me, I never get to go anymore. Yeah I've felt those opinions, play testing is always the hardest part
Old 03-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #955
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2016, 12:56 AM   #956
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I dunno, I kind of think that letting new players make mistakes helps them learn the game at a deeper level than just telling them what to do.

I mean, I'll intervene if someone is doing something early that will make the rest of the game not fun, but often giving too much advice ruins the exploration phase of learning a game and you can be kingmaking if one noob's interests go against another's.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #957
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Looks fun - I'm kicking it.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #958
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Just bought this:

Extended gameplay after round 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tZw_H1M7s0
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #959
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Just bought this:
It's a sweet game, I was impressed how well it translated from the card game. The expansion didn't do a whole lot for it but it was still nice to have.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #960
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
It's a sweet game, I was impressed how well it translated from the card game. The expansion didn't do a whole lot for it but it was still nice to have.
Alright, which regular poster in this thread is it?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote