Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #41
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is the phantom still what people are recommending? I've been looking to get a drone for some time and am about to pull the trigger.

I have zero experience flying drones so would it be hard to learn on the phantom?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #42
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Another question I have is I checked Kijiji for any Phantoms on sale and there were a couple "lost" ads up. Are these easy to lose? Would hate to shell out that kind of money only to lose it.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #43
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Another question I have is I checked Kijiji for any Phantoms on sale and there were a couple "lost" ads up. Are these easy to lose? Would hate to shell out that kind of money only to lose it.
Not easy per say but it is a possibility with any aircraft of this nature that are guided or assisted with GPS. I'm not 100% familiar with that model but from what I've read, most flyaways are usually a result of the operator failing to activate a number of failsafes. Early models had issues with their software too but the more recent versions are much better.

I was down in BestBuy last night and found that they sold the new Solo from 3D robotics and I believe I saw a Phantom as well and one from another manufacturer. They seem like good systems. They do seem pretty easy for the novice to fly as the radio is not a typical radio. You only get what you need for that particular aircraft so the controls aren't overwhelming.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 05-17-2016 at 10:24 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #44
canadianmoosette
Draft Pick

Quote:
Is the phantom still what people are recommending? I've been looking to get a drone for some time and am about to pull the trigger.

I have zero experience flying drones so would it be hard to learn on the phantom?
My husband and I just bought a Phantom Pro 3. Here is the video of our first flight out this past weekend (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ntCvzUqNwU). So far we are loving it and find it very easy to fly. The hard part is trying to remember to use slow and steady camera movements while flying it around. The controls are very touchy.
canadianmoosette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canadianmoosette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #45
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, damn. Not bad for a first flight. Well done.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #46
canadianmoosette
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Lol, damn. Not bad for a first flight. Well done.
Thanks! Our first videos of the day were not as good. This was after a bit of practice with the controls. haha
The Following User Says Thank You to canadianmoosette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #47
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmoosette View Post
My husband and I just bought a Phantom Pro 3. Here is the video of our first flight out this past weekend (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ntCvzUqNwU). So far we are loving it and find it very easy to fly. The hard part is trying to remember to use slow and steady camera movements while flying it around. The controls are very touchy.
That's some amazing video! Where did you buy it?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #48
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was in your shoes, I'd take a look at Amazon.ca Lots of vendors seem to have them. Also Staples of all places has them as does BestBuy. They all appear to be around the same price.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #49
canadianmoosette
Draft Pick

Quote:
Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows
The Following User Says Thank You to canadianmoosette For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #50
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So are you airborne yet?

Just finished putting together my first mini quad, a 250frame. No GPS, just a barebones system but quite cheap to build. Just trying to figure out how to mount my FPV cameras to it, get the mobius camera strapped on and do some ripping around. Fun hobby.

Next project will be installing the same hardware into a fixed wing aircraft.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #51
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yep. Bought the Phantom drone standard and I love it. Just need to buy some extra batteries to fully take advantage of this drone.

I'll post a video later on.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #52
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice! Congrats!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far. Yep, having a bunch of batteries is a good idea. So is having some extra props.

What is the size of the battery that comes with those aircraft?
Old 06-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #53
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Nice! Congrats!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far. Yep, having a bunch of batteries is a good idea. So is having some extra props.

What is the size of the battery that comes with those aircraft?
4480mAH. Lasts about 23 minutes.

It's been nice for my first drone. Hopefully next year will upgrade to the professional.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #54
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the advice in this thread. Got a Phantom 3 Standard for Father's Day and it is great. Easy to fly and lots of fun with the camera.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #55
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good man! Was at the apple store yesterday and much to my surprise, they carry them so got to give it a good look over. I was impressed with it. Lots of good features that make it easy to fly.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #56
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You were right about the fly-away issue being due to turning some controls off. From my initial messing around, you would have to ignore several warnings and have turned off a couple of fail safes (which I'm not sure you actually could) to have it fly away. I was messing around with mine and once the battery got to 20 percent the Return to Home kicked in and it basically self landed right in front me.
This unit is supposed to have a 1000 m range. I started getting nervous when the control app said it was 125 M away from me. It has plenty of range for my purposes.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #57
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely. I think due to the flyaway issue with earlier models, the fail safes became hardcoded into the firmware. They are there for a reason and can save your bacon.

Isn't it amazing the way they can fly themselves like that? First time I sent one of my first quads off on a pre-determined flight plan, I was completely floored watching it go to each waypoint. And landing all by itself? Mind melted. That was one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

Testing ranges is spooky, no? I just finished building my first FPV quad where you are basically flying it manually using a flight camera mounted to the front. The range of the video transmitter is rated for 1.5KM but environmental factors can reduce that so each time I fly, I go out just a bit further than last time. Think the furthest I've got at this point is 500 meters and I start to get a bit nervous. Nothing worse than losing your video signal on a quad that has not GPS functionality.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 06-21-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #58
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am trying to upload some videos to this thread, anyone know the best way? youtube?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Upload them to youtube, then post the embed here. To do that(if you don't know), it looks like this:

[youtube]bUtzDNDiHyk[/youtube}

with the last bracket square instead of curly. The string of text in the middle is the last bit of your youtube URL after the = sign. Make sure you make the video public.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #60
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am not very good at using the camera yet and it is was hard to see my screen with the glare of the sun so the video isn't perfect.

After the flight a park warden notified me drones were banned in all of Banff but was nice about it and let me keep my video. I didn't have much memory so the video isn't that long.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:

Tags
don't drone me bro! , nerdgasm , remote control