Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Freeletics Intensive Bodyweight Workout

Anyone heard of Freeletics? It's apparently very popular in Europe.

There is a free version that gives a limited number of workouts, and there is a "Coach" version that you subscribe to (monthly, quarterly, yearly) that puts together a work out a plan for you each week. This is the basis of the app so not sure why it's called "Free"letics. There's no equipment involved except for a pull up bar and you can do it anywhere as long as you have 2m x 2m of space.

I've done a couple of workouts and they kicked my ass and I generally consider myself to be in decent shape.

Think it starts at about $15 a month, but if you sign up for a year it's like 48% off that price. I paid for a month just to try it out. If the app actually makes me stick to a plan and do the workouts, then I think it's a pretty good motivator and worth a small monthly fee.

I've been looking for other people in Calgary doing this program because you can "follow" people and see how their doing. It's a good source of motivation I think. Let me know if you're on there.

Kinda a cheesy video, but explains it:
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I jumped on there. I just moved to Cambodia for a few months so I needed something to keep me in shape since I don't plan on joining a gym for the time I am here.

I started out using it frequently, I like the "coach". I find it gives me motivation, tracking my stats.

As for the quality of the workouts, I find them to be quite high. I have been working out for years, and yeah, they kick my ass.

I would be glad to add you, I am just not sure how to do it.
something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What's the difference between this one and Bring Your Own Gym?
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure, I haven't used that app before. I think the attraction of freeletics is it creates a workout for you to follow which makes you push yourself because you want to finish.

Is Bring your own gym a collection of bodyweight exercises that you can choose from?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Free"letics because you can do the workout for free? Ie no gym or equipment required. Just yourself?

Seems like it would be good to do at home. I'm going to check it out.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can do a limited amount of workouts for free. But they push you to pay for the Coach. So I don't really know where the free comes from. Maybe because you are free to do it anywhere, not for the price.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:01 AM   #7
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
You can do a limited amount of workouts for free. But they push you to pay for the Coach. So I don't really know where the free comes from. Maybe because you are free to do it anywhere, not for the price.
I think that's what the poster above meant. It's free to do anywhere. Not free to use the app, but you're free in that you don't need a gym/equipment. Free... Like a bird...
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:02 AM   #8
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I think that's what the poster above meant. It's free to do anywhere. Not free to use the app, but you're free in that you don't need a gym/equipment. Free... Like a bird...
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haha yes that's what I meant.

I downloaded the app and tried it out today. Seems pretty good!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Haha yes that's what I meant.

I downloaded the app and tried it out today. Seems pretty good!
I might look into this for my wife.

Peanut, did you enjoy it?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like a good Calisthenics based work out. I'll download the app and give it a try.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #12
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Yeah, it seems sort of cross-fit inspired. I opted to try out the coach for a month. The first workout seemed a little easy but it's supposed to adjust the difficulty based on feedback you give the "coach" so I guess I'll see how it goes.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. That warning isn't joking. If you set your difficulty too high, watch out!

The suggestion is to complete the workout no matter how long it takes, even if you have to take breaks in between. I've seen comments about taking up to 40 minutes to finish a workout. I laughed at it.

On Prometheus (Newb! I thought), I took 6 minutes to make it to the halfway point then lay on the floor for like 20 minutes on the verge of passing out and couldn't finish the workout. I should have paced myself better. That first workout was a horrible misjudgment of my own capabilities. I probably would have been fine if I had slowed down and taken twice the amount of time to finish said 1/2 stage of workout.

I like it. I think I'll continue doing this, but I need to work on my pacing.

That first half was only 30 mountain climbers, 10 push ups, 30 sit ups, 30 squats and 50 jumping jacks. Consuming an alcoholic beverage just prior to giving the workout a shot and doing the above in 6 minutes wasn't the brightest idea.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just did the first Prometheus routine it spit out at me as well (3/5). I'm in decent shape, and finished the thing in about 11:30 minutes but I was definitely feeling it. I think I might get the coach just for the hell of it to change up the monotony of my current workout routine. My main problem is certainly nutrition, so I think I might try their guide for that as well to see how that goes.

Good find. I like the app so far.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #15
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I can't think of any kind of conversation with any woman that starts with 'have you thought about working out more?' that doesn't end up with prolonged sleeping on the couch and dirty looks from the friends.

Tread carefully my friend
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 03:53 PM   #16
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I just did the first Prometheus routine it spit out at me as well (3/5). I'm in decent shape, and finished the thing in about 11:30 minutes but I was definitely feeling it.
App told me to start with 2/5 Prometheus. Thought I did pretty well and could have done some more, but took me 11 mins, so reading you did 3/5 in 11:30 makes me feel like I dogged it. Need to try again. Definitely gets the heart rate up. 2/5 was a great warm up, then finished with some weights. 5/5 will be a killer.

I had music going so the app may have been telling me to speed up and I didn't hear. Does the app have voice prompts ?
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

add me on the app, would be good to see how you guys get on.

search Jefe Deltru, i'm level 3.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you guys using the coach? Recommended?
Old 02-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #19
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Are you guys using the coach? Recommended?
I'm using the coach. I'm still pretty new to the program, but just looking ahead at the remaining workouts I have for the week kinda makes me weak in the legs. I'm one of those guys who prefers to be outside or just working out at home, rather than in a conventional gym, so the coach appealed to me.

After I paid for coach it immediately took me to a fitness test to assess my skill and fitness to generate a program for me to progress on. After each workout you rate how tough the workout was, so I believe the coach may tweak your next workouts based on your feedback. I do exercise quite a lot, and I'm very confident looking at the workouts and progressions within the coach, everyone will see benefits if they stick to the program (no cheating!).

I have it currently set up to do 4 coach workouts a week and then on my own I'll be doing a few different workouts that I typically do any given week. I know the app has some running parts as well, but I'm not sure how that works yet (i.e. if they're endurance or sprints). I usually run a bit each week as well, so I'll play that by ear.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished my first week today. It's a good intro, not too difficult and the workouts aren't that long. I expect that to change in the upcoming weeks. I really look forward to the work outs each day which is great.

Tags
freeletics