Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
DataDoxy
Bingo's Better Half

Exp:
Default Would you support a STEM school in Calgary?

I work in the field of Math Education. I am specifically trained in the science behind teaching and learning mathematics. One of my jobs is to work with teachers to help them develop and hone their skills to teach math optimally to all learners. I believe this is a very important job because far too many students struggle with mathematics in school today and sadly, math is the gatekeeper to many jobs and/or educational opportunities. Thus, the doors of opportunity are closing for many kids who highly capable but just do not "get" math in school. I would love to work at a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Learning Academy where science, technology, engineering, and mathematics are taught to all kids in creative ways that engage and excite them. For example, I think it would be very cool if kids could learn math and science in ways that enable them to connect what they learn to the real world around them.

If a STEM Academy existed, would you send your kids to it? If so, what elements do you think would be important at this kind of school?

Do you see value in offering an after-school Math, Science, Engineering and/or Tech Program for kids in Calgary? If so, what service would you be most interested in? Math? Tech skills? Science Activities? Engineering or Maker Camps?

Questions and comments are welcome!

Last edited by DataDoxy; 10-19-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would stem focus on gifted students or would it focus on students who don't learn math in the traditional setting. I think in general more focus on math, science and literacy over other subjects is a good idea.

As for would I send my kids? Depending on location I would definately consider it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a STEM Academy/school was available and easily accessible for my kids I would certainly be signing them up. STEM is very important to myself and my family (my mom did Sports/Physical Therapy, my dad did engineering, I did Geology and my brother did Soil Sciences.) I was very interested in the Calgary Science School for my kid because it seemed like a great option and we lived pretty close to the Lakeview school. Calgary Science School has become Connect though and I'm not sure how their program has changed (we moved out of the area though so busing my kid that far isn't an option.)
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

An after-school club or something would be great if that is what the kid wanted or if they needed more help with a subject.

But a whole school just to those few subjects? I would want the kids to be getting a better more rounded education.

The Following User Says Thank You to Temporary_User For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
An after-school club or something would be great if that is what the kid wanted or if they needed more help with a subject.

But a whole school just to those few subjects? I would want the kids to be getting a better more rounded education.
Sports and science is all that a kid needs (maybe some understanding of finance as well.)
Old 10-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Sports and science is all that a kid needs (maybe some understanding of finance as well.)

Arts are important, as is english, and social science.

I think that student's should get a well rounded education is school. University/College is where an individual can have a tighter focus on their education.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
DataDoxy
Bingo's Better Half

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Would stem focus on gifted students or would it focus on students who don't learn math in the traditional setting. I think in general more focus on math, science and literacy over other subjects is a good idea.

As for would I send my kids? Depending on location I would definately consider it.
I see a STEM school as a school for all kinds of learners. The classes would be designed to ensure all students can access and understand mathematics (and other subjects) deeply so they can connect what they learn to the real world.

I would also like to see this school as a place where kids who want to work at a faster pace are able and encouraged to do so, while kids that need extra support or just take more time to cement ideas can work at the pace that works best for them.

Overall, I see a STEM school as a high-tech school where students get to create, innovate and problem solve while engaging in a lot of hands-on activities that integrate the whole curriculum, while focusing on science, tech, engineering and math.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
DataDoxy
Bingo's Better Half

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
If a STEM Academy/school was available and easily accessible for my kids I would certainly be signing them up. STEM is very important to myself and my family (my mom did Sports/Physical Therapy, my dad did engineering, I did Geology and my brother did Soil Sciences.) I was very interested in the Calgary Science School for my kid because it seemed like a great option and we lived pretty close to the Lakeview school. Calgary Science School has become Connect though and I'm not sure how their program has changed (we moved out of the area though so busing my kid that far isn't an option.)

I am heading to Connect (formerly the Calgary Science School) tomorrow for their Innovate West Conference; I will inquire about the change in program and let you know!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #9
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our Schooling System did not really work for me. I was without a doubt one of the smartest kids in all of my grade school classes, but a was rarely interested and made no effort to get good grades until grade 12 when I was trying to bolster my transcripts for university.

My kids are both under 4 years old right now, and I have started looking into any options for them that will not include regular public schools in the 2016/17 year. I think regardless of the specialty of the school I will look for a place that is vary focused on project based work, group work, active learning.......... and gives lecturing/notes/practice assignments a much smaller role. I don't believe my kids will need the repetitive nature of our public schools to grasp concepts, and I don't want them to grow the indifference towards school that I had.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:33 AM   #10
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

STEM schools are a great idea, I don't know how they would work, but here in Iceland we have a few very popular small schools, one in particular gets young kids excited about computers, programming, which I wish we would teach all kids since they can pick up basic programming much easier than when they get older.

One thing that will be a huge boost for any kid born today is to learn and be proficient in computer programming, the language of the devices we know should be a mandatory early education class in my humble opinion.

STEM is always a bit of a stigma for girls for example, and I worry about having a school that will likely have trouble attracting girls, and therefor continuing the stigma and opinion kids have about STEM.

I still like the idea though.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My daughter is doing a STEM event in girl guides at the end of the month.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
stormwolf
Draft Pick

I think its a good idea, but I definitely wouldn't send my kids to it.

I think math and science education in this province is quite excellent right now, and this is coming from an engineer. It's the arts that's lacking - every budget cycle, the arts department in schools are gonna get another huge cut.

Balance and personal development should be a focus in K-12 education, and putting extra focus on STEM isn't going to achieve that. The only parts of jr and sr high school I actually remember (and liked) are the art projects, band trips, and phys-ed outings, and I don't ever want to deprive my kids of those experiences.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are already specialized CBE science schools. Something for some of you to look into if STEM interests your children.

Last edited by Shazam; 09-04-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #14
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Our Schooling System did not really work for me. I was without a doubt one of the smartest kids in all of my grade school classes, but a was rarely interested and made no effort to get good grades until grade 12 when I was trying to bolster my transcripts for university.

My kids are both under 4 years old right now, and I have started looking into any options for them that will not include regular public schools in the 2016/17 year. I think regardless of the specialty of the school I will look for a place that is vary focused on project based work, group work, active learning.......... and gives lecturing/notes/practice assignments a much smaller role. I don't believe my kids will need the repetitive nature of our public schools to grasp concepts, and I don't want them to grow the indifference towards school that I had.
Inquiry based schools are your friend.

You were probably gifted or at the very least "bright". There were some alternatives for you back in the day but these days the CBE is much more on the ball about coding kids properly.