Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #221
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For those on the Bishop bandwagon, does reduction in the size of goalie equipment factor into your decision?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #222
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will take a combo of MAF and Gillies please!
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #223
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

A potential Bishop contract really scares me tbh. It's going to be high dollar and long, and I just can't get over him being pretty mediocre this season. He's not exactly going to be playing behind a defensive bulwark if he comes here.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #224
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
I we include Saros in this grouping...which one is considered to have the highest upside?
I would say Saros.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #225
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
For those on the Bishop bandwagon, does reduction in the size of goalie equipment factor into your decision?
I think it will affect him, whoever gives him over 3 years is going to regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
A potential Bishop contract really scares me tbh. It's going to be high dollar and long, and I just can't get over him being pretty mediocre this season. He's not exactly going to be playing behind a defensive bulwark if he comes here.
Very true.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #226
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
I we include Saros in this grouping...which one is considered to have the highest upside?
Saros would probably have the highest upside but also the highest acquisition cost. He's exempt from the expansion draft so Nashville has no reason to want to trade him (and probably see his as their internal replacement for Rinne).

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2016/1...hville-protect
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #227
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What teams need a new starting goalie next year?

Calgary
Winnipeg
Dallas

Would any of these teams give Bishop a 5-7 year deal at huge dollars? I personally can't see it

Elliott actually makes sense for the Stars who have so much cap tied up in their current situation which definitely has one of those goalies erring bought out
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #228
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What teams need a new starting goalie next year?

Calgary
Winnipeg
Dallas

Would any of these teams give Bishop a 5-7 year deal at huge dollars? I personally can't see it
Philadelphia too I believe. Probably the only team Calgary would really need to fight with for a contract offer, aren't Dallas and Winnipeg up against it with a lot of cash tied up in net already?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #229
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Not a major factor for me. Bishop won't be losing his size. He covers most of the net even if his equipment is reduced slightly.

I'd be more scared for average to below average sized goalies as I think the change could hurt them more than the huge goalies. Not sure why people seem to feel the reverse.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #230
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yep. A big guy in slightly smaller equipment is still a big guy.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #231
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bishop will cost too much and had a down year. Contract could be a huge anchor in years to come.

Much prefer a guy like Scott Darling who will be much cheaper and perform better.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #232
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

When .910 save % playing for two non playoff teams is a down year you must be a pretty damn good goalie.

did you guys watch the playoffs? with Ben Bishop we would be getting pumped for a game tonight
Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #233
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Not a major factor for me. Bishop won't be losing his size. He covers most of the net even if his equipment is reduced slightly.

I'd be more scared for average to below average sized goalies as I think the change could hurt them more than the huge goalies. Not sure why people seem to feel the reverse.
Yup. Ryan Miller says hi.

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #234
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Dat ass.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #235
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL just ridiculous how the league has let goaltender equipment get out of control like this. He's essentially doubled his ass in size with his pants.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #236
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
Saros would probably have the highest upside but also the highest acquisition cost. He's exempt from the expansion draft so Nashville has no reason to want to trade him (and probably see his as their internal replacement for Rinne).

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2016/1...hville-protect
Not sure why such a love for Saros who has played 22 games in the NHL. You might as well give the starting job to Gillies and hope for the best.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #237
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
When .910 save % playing for two non playoff teams is a down year you must be a pretty damn good goalie.

did you guys watch the playoffs? with Ben Bishop we would be getting pumped for a game tonight
.910 save pct is pretty close to an average goaltender stats for the year. 7 million per season for average is not good.

.924 save pct is Darlings stats. He also has a .936 career playoff save pct.

Way cheaper and way better.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #238
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've thought about this topic quite a bit lately. Here are my final thoughts on the matter in order of priority:

1) Re-sign Johnson as the backup. At the very worst he's an average backup with lots of NHL experience who wants to play in Calgary and be part of a winning team. At best he can be a 1B goalie who will steal some games for you. He won't demand a large salary, and I bet he can be had short term. Seems like the ideal guy to retain while our young goalies develop.

2) Investigate the trade price for Marc-Andre Fleury. He's showing in these playoffs that he's still a quality goaltender who is losing his job to an exceptional young player in Murray. He's not the top goaltender he was when he was younger, but there's still tread on those tires. For 2 years remaining at a decent price, he's the ideal stopgap until guys like Gillies/Parsons etc. look ready for a job in the NHL.

Do NOT under any circumstances give a lot away to get him. Anything more than a 3rd round pick or B prospect would be too much since the Penguins are likely to buy him out and he can be had as a UFA anyway.

3) Sign a legitimate starting goalie in the UFA period for no more than 3 years and $6 M per year. In order of preference: Scott Darling, Jonathan Bernier, Ben Bishop, Marc-Andre Fleury, Ryan Miller, Brian Elliott, and Steve Mason.

4) Trade for one of the goalies at risk of being drafted by Vegas before the expansion draft. Nothing higher than a 2nd round pick or "A" prospect. In order of preference: Jimmy Howard, Jaroslav Halak, James Reimer, Philip Grubauer, Aaron Dell.

5) If need be (say if none of the above scenarios works out....which is EXTREMELY unlikely), have a competition in camp between Johnson, Gillies, Rittich, and to a lesser extent Parsons and McDonald. Best two are the goalies for the year in a tandem.

Additional: Run a tandem in the AHL between Parsons and Gillies, giving them equal starts. If one of them looks ready we trade or waive Johnson and make them the backup for the rest of the year.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #239
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
.910 save pct is pretty close to an average goaltender stats for the year. 7 million per season for average is not good.

.924 save pct is Darlings stats. He also has a .936 career playoff save pct.

Way cheaper and way better.
Haha.

Darling has 75 NHL games in his career behind the best team in the modern era, and he's 28 years old. His .936 playoff save percentage, while impressive, comes from a grand total of 5 playoff games.

He will definitely be cheaper than Bishop, and he might just blossom into an excellent starter, but his body of work to date does not qualify him for being considered better than Ben Bishop.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #240
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lehtonen and Niemi get my votes. Make it happen Tre.

Last edited by Ruttiger; 04-21-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote