Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #10141
Computerjungle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’ve asked this several times. But has a Canadian team ever won a trade with the leafs?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #10142
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computerjungle View Post
I’ve asked this several times. But has a Canadian team ever won a trade with the leafs?
Dion Phaneuf (173 GP), Matt Frattin, Casey Bailey, Ryan Rupert, Cody Donaghey
for
Jared Cowen, Colin Greening (30 GP), Milan Michalek (18 GP), Tobias Lindberg, 2017 2nd round pick (selected Eemeli Rasanen)

Or when the Flames traded a conditional 4th for Colborne? Colborne played 228 games for the Flames, registering 103 points.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #10143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
If you compare Ryan Johansen to Seth Jones which player has more value? Yet one of the best GMs in the league made this deal and it's been a really good one for his team.

Values always come down to the individual people making the deals and how much they think it will help their team.
Rare trade that worked out for both teams equally well. Preds had so much blue line depth that they could afford to let Jones go and Johansen gave them that skilled center they badly needed. To me if you are looking at it player for player I think Jones has more value. He's starting to trend up into a franchise defenseman and Johansen is a good player but I don't believe he's an elite center.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #10144
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd have to think the caps are going to to make one of their goalies available for help on the back end. Grubeaur would be an amazing addition to the Flames IMO
Old 04-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #10145
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
You'd have to think the caps are going to to make one of their goalies available for help on the back end. Grubeaur would be an amazing addition to the Flames IMO
I feel Grubauer would be the goalie the Caps keep Move Holtbys contract and maybe be able to keep Carlson
Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #10146
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

We don't need to spend more big money on goaltending when there are more important issues to address
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #10147
Knut

Exp:

Grubbauer is gone. Holtby- Samsonov will be the tandem next season.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #10148
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the caps do a rebuild/retool then they might be dumb enough to make some bad trades, if grubeaur can be had at a decent price I think it would be worth it. The kid looks like he could be the real deal.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #10149
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The real question is will they be willing to revisit that Bennett / Kyllington / 1st for Ovie deal that was being bantered about last off season?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #10150
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

wrong thread
Old 04-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #10151
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
If the caps do a rebuild/retool then they might be dumb enough to make some bad trades, if grubeaur can be had at a decent price I think it would be worth it. The kid looks like he could be the real deal.
He might turn into a number one but the thing is I don't think the Flames really know what they have in Rittich and Gillies. I would come back next year with Smith and Rittich with Calgary and Gillies in the minors. Gillies can still clear waivers and Rittich can't. More pressing needs up front as others have pointed out. I would move Frolik for picks, find a new coaching staff and buyout Brouwer if Flames can't trade him.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #10152
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Geez. The Habs have FOUR 2nd rounders in this draft.

Brodie for Pacioretty and a 2nd (Habs, Hawks, Leafs, Caps) works for me.
Nope.

The only Habs player I would be interested in is Gallagher for the right price. If we want someone cheaper, I would love Byron back.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #10153
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Grubbauer is gone. Holtby- Samsonov will be the tandem next season.
Grubbauer put up pretty solid regular season stats but that was a pretty awful playoff performance. I have no idea how much stock GM's put in a small sample size like three playoff games but his performance wasn't very confidence inspiring that he could be a franchise goaltender.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #10154
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Dion Phaneuf (173 GP), Matt Frattin, Casey Bailey, Ryan Rupert, Cody Donaghey
for
Jared Cowen, Colin Greening (30 GP), Milan Michalek (18 GP), Tobias Lindberg, 2017 2nd round pick (selected Eemeli Rasanen)

Or when the Flames traded a conditional 4th for Colborne? Colborne played 228 games for the Flames, registering 103 points.
Not gonna lie if those are the best examples I think his point stands.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #10155
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the consensus on the Flames trying to sign Grabner in the off season? Seems like the kind of player the Flames need, a scoring winger. Still, I hate the idea of the Flames spending lots on a player over 30. if Brouwer gets bought out, the Flames will have a little money to throw around.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #10156
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see Grabner being like Raymond. Gets signed to term and money then falls off a cliff after salvaging his career from the brink of retirement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #10157
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
What is the consensus on the Flames trying to sign Grabner in the off season? Seems like the kind of player the Flames need, a scoring winger. Still, I hate the idea of the Flames spending lots on a player over 30. if Brouwer gets bought out, the Flames will have a little money to throw around.
Only sign veteran UFAs on one year deals so that if the season goes south, you can trade them for picks.

NEVER sign a veteran UFA for big term and big money. They rarely ever work out, and usually end in disaster.

I'd be more than happy having the Flames pass on guys like Grabner and Vanek and give prospects like Mangiapane, Foo and Dube some more rope. I think all 3 of those guys, with a little patience, could solve some of the secondary scoring issues next year.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #10158
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Only sign veteran UFAs on one year deals so that if the season goes south, you can trade them for picks.

NEVER sign a veteran UFA for big term and big money. They rarely ever work out, and usually end in disaster.

I'd be more than happy having the Flames pass on guys like Grabner and Vanek and give prospects like Mangiapane, Foo and Dube some more rope. I think all 3 of those guys, with a little patience, could solve some of the secondary scoring issues next year.
I agree, it is hard to imagine that any solutions will be found in signing UFAs. If the Flames want sustainable success it has to come from homegrown talent. Granted I would like to see a D man get traded for a winger who can score.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #10159
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I agree, it is hard to imagine that any solutions will be found in signing UFAs. If the Flames want sustainable success it has to come from homegrown talent. Granted I would like to see a D man get traded for a winger who can score.
There is one UFA I really want (but so does every team), another you could make an argument for (and there are plenty of arguments against as well) and a bunch of guys who have been decent but are on the cusp of a sharp decline in their careers (like Brouwer).
Old 04-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #10160
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computerjungle View Post
slim pickens.

Colborne I guess. Dave Gagner?

Edmonton probably won Damphousse/Richardson/Thornton for Anderson/Berube/Fuhr

Kordic to Montreal for Russ Courtnall?

Jarvis to Montreal for some guy I never heard of.
Closed Thread