Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2016, 12:38 AM   #61
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Rafikov still has a valid KHL contract for next season.

Barring any special out clauses he negotiated in, he won't be able to get out of his contract unless

1. team terminates his contract
2. someone buyouts his contract

It is not uncommon for KHL players to buyout their own contract. Even been rumored that some NHL teams have paid to buyout KHL players out of their KHL contract (i.e. Radulov)
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:12 AM   #62
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Mangiapane doesn't have a contract, so no he couldn't.

Andersson could, but I don't see why the Flames would do that when they have several guys on the farm who should warrant NHL time before bringing a guy up from junior.
After the trade deadline, you can only make 4 recalls from the AHL, but you can bring in a junior player without any limit. That would be one reason to do it.

Barrie is the second-best team in their Conference right now, so it's unlikely either of them will be available before the end of the season even if the Flames wanted them. Last season, Bennett got the call-up on April 3, and that was after Kingston was swept in the first round. Barrie would likely have to get swept in the first round too in order for either Mangiapane or Andersson to be available.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #63
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Can Mangiapane and Andersen play a game or two for the Flames, Backlund style, if their OHL post-season is cut short?
Much more common for junior players to join the AHL team on ATOs after their season ends. Stockton would have to go on a run to make the playoffs so players on good teams may be out of luck.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #64
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know where I can find out which prospects are no longer waiver eligible this season and next?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #65
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Does anyone know where I can find out which prospects are no longer waiver eligible this season and next?
cap friendly has a waiver calculator iirc
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #66
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
After the trade deadline, you can only make 4 recalls from the AHL, but you can bring in a junior player without any limit. That would be one reason to do it.
You can only recall guys from junior in-season on an "emergency" basis. So unless we hit a large injury/suspension bug that won't happen.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #67
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it possible for Mangiapane to be signed to a contract at the end of this season, and is he expected to turn pro next year?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #68
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Is it possible for Mangiapane to be signed to a contract at the end of this season, and is he expected to turn pro next year?
Mangiapane can sign a contract whenever he and the Flames want. He is not limited to any time frame, nor does signing a contract make him ineligible to play in the OHL.

And because he is averaging 1.70 pts / game you can make a pretty convincing argument that he should be going pro, he should be ready for the next level offensively.

I suspect the Flames will sign him to a ATO and assign him to Stockton if Barrie gets eliminated before Stockton's season is done.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #69
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
You can only recall guys from junior in-season on an "emergency" basis. So unless we hit a large injury/suspension bug that won't happen.
The original question was if they could be brought to Calgary after their OHL season ends.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #70
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stats Updated to 3/16/16

Looking at the Heat stats is depressing. Only one active player has a positive +/- rating. Despite even missing a month updating, there was only a couple players with significant stat changes. The rest were maybe a point or two. I am almost to the point I can't watch the games anymore as the team plays boring hockey and I just keep seeing over and over how Huska has no place coaching in the AHL and until we fire him, we aren't going to develop players. Ward and him have the same amount of time in and Ward is MILES ahead of Huska in developing NHL ready players. Huska can't take credit for anyone whose moved to the NHL this year.

Rafikov continues to get buried in the KHL. Olias Mattson is still injured (broken leg). Not much to update on the European front.

Mangiapane...what's left to say about this kid that hasn't been said above? It's worth sending him to Stockton if we can (although seemingly unlikely as Barrie is a GOOD team this year) to see how his play translates to the AHL. Plus, it's a worthy reward for his excellent season.

Andersson also keeps putting up impressive numbers. Very curious to see how he translates to the AHL as well.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #71
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Stats Updated to 3/16/16

Looking at the Heat stats is depressing. Only one active player has a positive +/- rating. Despite even missing a month updating, there was only a couple players with significant stat changes. The rest were maybe a point or two. I am almost to the point I can't watch the games anymore as the team plays boring hockey and I just keep seeing over and over how Huska has no place coaching in the AHL and until we fire him, we aren't going to develop players. Ward and him have the same amount of time in and Ward is MILES ahead of Huska in developing NHL ready players. Huska can't take credit for anyone whose moved to the NHL this year.

Rafikov continues to get buried in the KHL. Olias Mattson is still injured (broken leg). Not much to update on the European front.

Mangiapane...what's left to say about this kid that hasn't been said above? It's worth sending him to Stockton if we can (although seemingly unlikely as Barrie is a GOOD team this year) to see how his play translates to the AHL. Plus, it's a worthy reward for his excellent season.

Andersson also keeps putting up impressive numbers. Very curious to see how he translates to the AHL as well.
The difference here is that Ward had his systems and was a very technical coach, using code and abbreviations to help players analyze situations at a faster rate. Ward wanted to use his systems and only his systems. When he was told to streamline the systems to match Hartley's, I don't think it went over very well.

Thus, we have Huska - a very young coach with (obvious) dreams of being an NHL coach one day, but isn't given the autonomy to use his own systems, and frankly, he's too inexperienced to enact the systems he's told to teach.

So it's a catch-22. Most veteran coaches won't be a puppet for someone else's systems and rookie coaches probably don't demand the type of authority and are too inexperienced to teach them.

That's just my observation anyways. I have no solution.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #72
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

What? Why on earth why can't Huska take some credit for how well Wotherspoon, Nakladal, Hathaway and Agostino have come up and fit in? He surely can. The players look a lot more NHL ready than the players called up in the Ward era. Seems like a lot of unnecessary trashing of Huska to me, you have something personal against him?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #73
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing personal at all. You are overreacting to comments.

I've covered junior hockey for quite some time, I'm not just an armchair observer here. I've watched lots of coaches and Huska and his player development is not on par with other coaches and certainly not Ward. I wasn't the biggest Ward fan either, but there's no dispute he developed players.

Wotherspoon has regressed under Huska. Hathaway hasn't changed his style since moving from college, his game is still exactly the same. Nakladal is 28 and has played professionally overseas. None of these are Huska's doing.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #74
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Wotherspoon has regressed? From what to a guy who looks like an NHLer? If that's Wotherspoon regressing then I hope all our players regress like that!
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #75
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Wotherspoon has regressed? From what to a guy who looks like an NHLer? If that's Wotherspoon regressing then I hope all our players regress like that!
If Wotherspoon was the most NHL ready, why is Nakladal currently on the team and sticking?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #76
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the basis of why I think Troy Ward developed more players. Him and Huska now have the same amount of time in. The players under Ward who turned into NHL regulars (in any form) greatly outnumber the players under Huska who have.

Players developed by Troy G. Ward with more than 40 NHL games (2011-2014)

Lance Bouma - 3rd Line Player with Calgary
Paul Byron - 4th Line Player with Montreal
Roman Horak - Top Line in KHL
T.J. Brodie - Top Pairing Defenceman in Calgary
Joni Ortio - 2nd/3rd Goaltender in Calgary
Sven Baertschi - 2nd Line Player with Vancouver
Michael Ferland - 1st Line Player in Calgary
Markus Granlund - 4th Line Player in Vancouver
Josh Jooris - 3rd Line Player in Calgary

Players developed by Ryan Huska with more than 40 NHL games (2014-2016)

None
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #77
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's the basis of why I think Troy Ward developed more players. Him and Huska now have the same amount of time in. The players under Ward who turned into NHL regulars (in any form) greatly outnumber the players under Huska who have.

None
I'm usually critical of Huska, but don't you think that's a bit disingenuous when one guy has a two year head start? Does Huska get zero credit for the development of Ferland, Baertschi, Granlund, Ortio when they played for him too? Josh Jooris made the team after Ward was let go vs Garnet Hathaway or Kenny Agostino who are being given a shot with the team during Huska's second year and look polished and know the system very well (regardless of their natural talent)? Do you not think Kulak, Kylington, Culkin, Wotherspoon have progressed under Huska (not statistically, I mean actual on-ice play)? Does the fact that TJ Brodie played his rookie year under Playfair not mean that Playfair gets the credit for Brodie? Does a coach control natural talent?

I just think that's a flawed, confirmation-bias driven analysis. It's not unlike saying "Troy Ward was the reason Ryan Howse didn't pan out".

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-16-2016 at 12:36 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #78
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

None
I'd put Bouma and Brodie as Playfair developed players. As for Ward's handling of his goalies such as Ortio and Irving, it was perplexing. Ortio had to go back to Finland for a year and a half to get his game back and I'd put some of Irving's failure on Ward's doorstep as well.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #79
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Does Huska get zero credit for the development of Ferland, Baertschi, Granlund, Ortio when they played for him too?
Ferland played equal amounts of time under Ward and Huska. However, Huska only got Ferland AFTER he played in the NHL and AFTER the concussion set him back (as well as addiction issues). So no, I don't believe Huska gets credit as Ferland was down on a conditioning stint.

Baertschi has 73 games under Ward and 32 under Huska. Baertschi also had lower NHL time and points after time with Huska. Huska had the opportunity to help turn his game around and didn't, hence the trade.

Granlund's development was 100% Troy Ward. Huska got Granlund because he was an easy waiver guy to send down. Granlund was pretty much an NHL guy at that point.

Ortio is Jordan Sigalet. I suppose Ward and Huska are irrelevant here.

Quote:
Josh Jooris made the team after Ward was let go?
Ward had the patience with Jooris to help him overcome the college hump. Absolutely Ward is the reason Jooris could make the jump.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #80
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heck, give Joe Piskula a ton of credit for Brodie, too.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adirondack thunder , chl , flames prospects , ncaa , stockton heat