Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Sportsnet Toronto Changes

http://www.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet-bo...-radio-lineup/

Interesting that Tim & Sid are so popular, they seem to be getting a big push. Also, everyone seems to be getting an upgrade except for Andrew Walker...not doing so well in T.O? I've never heard of Dean Blundell before. It would be nice if some fresh talent came out west to liven up the FAN 960? Sports radio/TV seems like a tough gig.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Co-hosting the morning show in Toronto is a pretty good gig in terms of Canadian radio.

I like Tim and Sid for the most part, but I find that Sid goes overboard on his rants a little too often. It doesn't come across as genuine, it comes across as playing it up for the cameras.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of weird that they moved them to TV only.

They get good radio ratings and already broadcast that on TV.

I guess them hosting more of a talk show/ sports highlight show could be pretty good too though.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odd that a sports radio channel would hire a guy who got fired for being too controversial at his last job (and got into trouble numerous times)
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can I nominate Leah Hextall to take over on the radio and move away from hosting Flames broadcasts?!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Blundell got booted off of the radio (102.1) for a number of offences but he had a massive audience. He's more of a shock-comment comedic type so a little puzzling to me personally however.

Last edited by Dr. Doom; 01-20-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Can I nominate Leah Hextall to take over on the radio and move away from hosting Flames broadcasts?!
Why? She does a fine job
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
Blundell got booted off of the radio (102.1) for a number of offences but he had a massive audience. He's more of a shock-comment comedic type so a little puzzling to me personally however.
Maybe to go head to head with Mike Richards.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
RisebroughRuinedMyYouth
Draft Pick

I'm worried the move from radio/podcast to TV will hurt Tim & Sid. A move from a less restrained medium to a more restrained medium can really hurt a show -- compare the podcast/Youtube videos of Bill Simmons & Jalen Rose to the Grantland Basketball Hour.
RisebroughRuinedMyYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Oops, I started a similar thread in the Entertainment forum (delete if necessary Mods).

Really gonna miss Tim & Sid. I'm a cord cutter so I won't get to hear them anymore after March.

That said, this is an opportunity for the Fan 960. Everyone has internet access that likes sports nowadays. Create a good show with good hosts and guests and people will tune in to listen. Fat chance I know, but I'd love to see it.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
D-Red
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Follow a lot of Toronto beat writers because of my love for everything Jays. A lot of people are really upset that they are giving him a job, many even declaring their listening days are over. Most common things I see him being described as are a homophobe and sexist. Really unfortunate if that's the case.
D-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blundell was awful on the radio over here. 17 year olds may find him funny with his quasi-English hipster accent, but the guy makes a living off being a ###### and immature but unfunny jokes. I for one won't be listening. He just comes off as immature and amateur. At least comedians are funny. This guy is just throwing rubbish out there and giggling thinking someone out there is laughing. It's unfunny and amateur. Odd choice by Rogers.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Red View Post
Follow a lot of Toronto beat writers because of my love for everything Jays. A lot of people are really upset that they are giving him a job, many even declaring their listening days are over. Most common things I see him being described as are a homophobe and sexist. Really unfortunate if that's the case.
I saw this linked yesterday, seems to be the case

Quote:
Listening to the podcast of Blundell's show, which runs 5:30 a.m. to 10 a.m., made me numb – as numb as I felt when I first heard reports yesterday Pelss has gone missing was feared drowned. I'll resist the urge to mount the soap box here and let Blundell's routine speak for itself.

WHAT HE SAID

"Edmonton Oilers prospect Kristians Pelss disappeared without a trace after reportedly jumping off a bridge in his native Latvia. Pelss, who played two seasons with the Edmonton Oil Kings of the WHL is believed to have jumped into the dark of a river in the capital city of Riga, Latvia early Tuesday morning," said Blundell, reading the first part of the item in straight news style. "Rescuers have seen no sign of him, according to a news agency.

"His clothes were found on the scene but a search of the river failed to turn him up. Edmonton Oil Kings organization along with the Edmonton Oilers and AHL Barons ba-da-ba-da-ba-da said that reports of him going missing are being looked at this week. There's been contradictory information reported at times. They are hoping he returns to the Edmonton Oilers and Oil Kings organization shortly."

Then, the item takes a sickening turn.

"How much must it suck playing hockey in Edmonton when you . . . I'm not going back. I mean, you'd rather jump off a bridge in like a war-torn country in a freezing cold river than go back to Edmonton. Shame. I hope they find him. I've been to Edmonton. I know what that guy's talking about (laughs)."

Last edited by d_phaneuf; 01-21-2015 at 10:17 AM.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #14
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Red View Post
Not just the writers. Seems nobody publicly supports his hiring. we'll see what the ratings say though.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #15
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. We had a radio guy in Calgary that said he hoped the Riders plane would crash on the way to Calgary.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote