Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #221
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Major death? Wasn't he in one episode, over 20 years ago?

Should have just killed Frank Grimes again instead.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #222
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought it was pretty terrible, and bought together two franchise who are way beyond their best before date.

I lost interest about 3/4 of the way in.

I really really hate Brian now.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #223
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

Should have just killed Frank Grimes again instead.
He also appeared in the Mr. T episode a few years back as well. But he's obviously not someone would consider to be a "major death".
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #224
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I thought it was pretty terrible, and bought together two franchise who are way beyond their best before date.

I lost interest about 3/4 of the way in.

I really really hate Brian now.
I was amused. Nothing groundbreaking. Didn't laugh all that much, but it was amusing. But as you say, beyond their best before, so wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking either. I enjoyed all the other cross-over gags, including the one with Bob and the one with Roger.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #225
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highlight of the night was definitely the Hertzfeldt couch gag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #226
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Phil Hartman and Marcia Wallace are the only Simpsons deaths that have mattered.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #227
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget Doris Grau! Lunch Lady Doris for those who are wondering, who died back in 1997.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #228
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
He was actually in 11 episodes as well as the Simpsons Movie.

Completely agree though, this isn't a major death and the episode itself was terrible. How poor this was, I'm surprised the writers didn't pull a last minute switch and make the death Edna and do something respectful for a long time Simpsons character. She's been there since the second episode and the "response" to her death was to have Ned daydream about a dance, wear an armband and mention briefly how he will miss her. They never outright came out and said she was deceased, just dropped subtle hints in one episode shortly after her death. In my opinion, she should have had a much bigger sendoff and that was a good opportunity to do it.

Edit: The video in the article shows how they sent her off http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/1...-Simpsons.html

The Family Guy and Simpsons episode was also terrible. I can't believe I wasted an hour of my life on that. The fight scene at the end was the worst of it. I got bored of it after the first couple minutes, got up and got a drink and used the washroom and came back and it was still going on. That went on a lot longer then it needed to.

Last edited by Drury18; 09-30-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #229
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The simpsons/family guy episode was pretty much running through every old running gaga from each franchise and mashing them together. From the koolaid gag, to the neighbors "no no no no" thing to the extended chicken versus peter fight with Homer instead of the chicken, to Stewie ball gagging Jimbo.

There was nothing new or exciting or creative.

I thought in a epic concept like this I would have at least a few lol surprise moments, but there were a few internal chuckles but thats about all.

I've been saying for a long time that Family Guy should have pretty much ended the show with the Meg goes to prison episode, that was the last truly funny Family Guy episode if you find incest shower rape funny. Its gotten to the point where Brian and Stewie have been changed so far from their original concepts that they're unrecognizable stumbling idiots, and they thought it would be funny to up the Peter is a ###### personality. Even their clips which used to be the best part of the show are worn out.

The Simpsons ran out of gas a long time ago, and should have ended after the two hour movie where they expended the last of their gags. Even their characters aren't lovable any more, Homer lost his redeemable qualities years ago, Marge is an annoying shrew, Lisa is a annoying vegetable eating over inflated ego, Bart has been redeemed so many times that there is no rebel left in him.

When you look at the other quality animated shows out there like an Archer or a Robot Chicken or a fuggit about it or some of the others, these two mega franchises are more then frayed around the edges.

Its time to retire them to the Smithsonian
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #230
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The simpsons/family guy episode was pretty much running through every old running gaga from each franchise and mashing them together. From the koolaid gag, to the neighbors "no no no no" thing to the extended chicken versus peter fight with Homer instead of the chicken, to Stewie ball gagging Jimbo.

I thought in a epic concept like this I would have at least a few lol surprise moments, but there were a few internal chuckles but thats about all.

I've been saying for a long time that Family Guy should have pretty much ended the show with the Meg goes to prison episode, that was the last truly funny Family Guy episode if you find incest shower rape funny. Its gotten to the point where Brian and Stewie have been changed so far from their original concepts that they're unrecognizable stumbling idiots, and they thought it would be funny to up the Peter is a ###### personality. Even their clips which used to be the best part of the show are worn out.

The Simpsons ran out of gas a long time ago, and should have ended after the two hour movie where they expended the last of their gags. Even their characters aren't lovable any more, Homer lost his redeemable qualities years ago, Marge is an annoying shrew, Lisa is a annoying vegetable eating over inflated ego, Bart has been redeemed so many times that there is no rebel left in him.

When you look at the other quality animated shows out there like an Archer or a Robot Chicken or a fuggit about it or some of the others, these two mega franchises are more then frayed around the edges.

I thought even Bojack Horseman was more enjoyable than Family Guy recently
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #231
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:

Well, that's not the point though.

Surprised so many people didn't like it. I went in with low expectations and enjoyed it. It's not a classic, or super memorable, but it is what it is. A bunch of inside jokes and mugging. Maybe it's just an expectations thing. Like how so many people who review a crap action movie and say 'just turn off your brain', I guess that's how I'd look at it. There were some definite slow points, but as I said, to be expected.

As for the two shows, yeah, they are both due to be canned. Family Guy really annoys me. The Simpsons hasn't been fresh for many years, but at least it isn't outright annoying. I think The Simpsons is just wanting to hit their 25 year mark, that's when the voice actors contracts are up, and they almost didn't get signed last time. As far as Family Guy goes, dear god, I don't know what it's so popular, but I sure hope it's put out of it's misery (and ours!) soon.

Agree with everyone who says there are far better animated shows out there. These two have run their course. Everything else you wrote CC is pretty much on the mark. Just bolded that one part cause I'm not sure what people expected out of the crossover.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #232
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Just saw the season premiere for South Park. It's still running on all cylinders. They weigh into the Redskins controversy with lots of other shots and parodies too.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #233
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Just saw the season premiere for South Park. It's still running on all cylinders. They weigh into the Redskins controversy with lots of other shots and parodies too.
Even South Park is so different than what the show was originally. I think South Park is still good, but I far prefer seasons 3 to like 8, rather than the pure pop culture mash-up it is now.

I think the Krusty episode of the Simpsons showed a lot of what was wrong with the series right now. In it's prime the Simpsons could make you cry as easily as it could make you laugh. No other show in history could do it like the Simpsons.

But it's all become so lazy. Instead of developing the plot, it's shoved in your face. Like when Krusty took up philanthropy in the episode, and then for some reason it doesn't bring him any satisfaction. We are literally told by a news reporter that this was the case, breaking down the third wall. Ha. Good one, Simpsons. Telling me what to feel instead of setting the stage and building the plot to let me decide on my own.

It's honestly like like some taxidermist stuffed my favorite pet as a kid and is displaying it in the middle of my living room.

Last edited by Ashasx; 10-01-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #234
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
In it's prime the Simpsons could make you cry as easily as it could make you laugh. No other show in history could do it like the Simpsons.
I found Futurama to be able to do that better than the Simpsons ever could.
So many episodes with truly sad moments just to turn around and be hilarious again.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #235
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to a Simpsons Trivia thing last night on Whyte Ave, and I couldn't believe how many people were there (and apparently there are more people most nights). It's crazy to see how rabid the fanbase is to this day, even if almost all the questions were based on older content.

I would consider myself to be almost the biggest fan of the show there is, and I still watch much of the newer content. The show was awful around seasons 12-16, and had some rough patches in-between then and now, but I think it's still a much better show than some of you are giving it credit.

Admittedly the new seasons are a shell of its former self, but that's comparing them to what many consider to be the best show ever. If seasons 1-9 (well really 3-7) are considered to be The Godfather of television, then I'd consider the newer seasons to be Godfather III. It will never again reach the heights of its former self, but if you are still passionate enough of a fan you can still find enough to like about the show to watch it most weeks.

I would agree with Ashax in part, but there are still quite a few jokes to be had in many episodes. They maybe fewer and far between than in previous years, but still enough of an improvement over prior seasons that I actually make an effort to watch new episodes. I was at my wits end only 10 years ago (around the age of Dude Where's My Ranch, Three Gays of the Condo, and The Regina Monologues), but since the movie the writing has noticeably improved.

It's a far superior show to Family Guy, and I think is even better than American Dad (which has fallen off recently). I don't think comparing it to South Park is all that fair as South Park has become a completely different show, and is not heavily reliant on plot, and is just thrown together on a week to week basis. Stone and Parker also have free rein these days as well, which allows them to take any approach they want. I still prefer the earlier seasons of SP though, only because I preferred it back when it was more about the characters, rather than just commentary on political and/or social satire. It's a shame writers for The Simpsons try to force similar commentary in newer episodes, as I often find those to be among the weaker efforts (that and "Bart/Lisa search for friend" episodes).

Oh and for those wondering our team finished second last night, but only because I missed the first round, and I was forced to answer like 80% of our questions (How can you not know who Dennis Franz is?).

Last edited by trackercowe; 10-01-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #236
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those interested the Simposns/Futurama crossover is on tonight. I liked it more than The Family Guy one. It didn't force as much into one episode like the other one, since it wasn't an hour long, and didn't waste too much time comparing one to the other. I wouldn't mind it if they do another crossover every couple years or so.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #237
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Great episode.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #238
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calgary got a shout out in last nights episode.

Funny someone in the City Flag thread said we needed a city anthem, because they gave us one.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #239
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post

Funny someone in the City Flag thread said we needed a city anthem, because they gave us one.
It was probably a direct reference to the "Hello Calgary" song we had in the 80s. Especially considering there is a Calgarian writer on the Simpsons, Joel H. Cohen (his brother also wrote for the Simpsons).

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-could-tell-us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dbkvV7fZ0
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #240
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
It was probably a direct reference to the "Hello Calgary" song we had in the 80s. Especially considering there is a Calgarian writer on the Simpsons, Joel H. Cohen (his brother also wrote for the Simpsons).

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-could-tell-us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dbkvV7fZ0
Heh yeah, noticed that too, I actually posted it in the flag/anthem thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
AC