Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Justin Trudeau running for Liberal leadership

Do you think he can ignite passion for the Liberal party like his pop? More importantly, do you think he can learn from his dad's mistakes?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/justin-trud...120642180.html
Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, heard this news this morning. Both my wife and I, two long-time Liberal voters, just shook our heads. If he wins (and barring a star candidate like Mark Carney entering the race, he's very likely to), I feel like I'll be completely in the political wilderness. I don't support the Conservatives because of their backwards social policies (see re-opening the abortion debate in the HoC today), and I don't support the NDP because of their ill-advised economic polices. During the Chretien/Martin years, the Liberals ideally matched my values: progressive on social issues while balancing the budget and creating an environment that allowed the economy to flourish. I have absolutely zero confidence that Justin Trudeau can/will do the same.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Ugh, heard this news this morning. Both my wife and I, two long-time Liberal voters, just shook our heads. If he wins (and barring a star candidate like Mark Carney entering the race, he's very likely to), I feel like I'll be completely in the political wilderness. I don't support the Conservatives because of their backwards social policies (see re-opening the abortion debate in the HoC today), and I don't support the NDP because of their ill-advised economic polices. During the Chretien/Martin years, the Liberals ideally matched my values: progressive on social issues while balancing the budget and creating an environment that allowed the economy to flourish. I have absolutely zero confidence that Justin Trudeau can/will do the same.
This is the second time I've heard Mark Carney come up. I would be shocked and amazed if he were to do that! I would also definitely support him, but do you really think he would?
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

How would Trudeau do in QC? I got the impression that he wasnt overly liked there? If he can win back QC then for the Libs isnt a win-win isnt it?

Last edited by mykalberta; 09-26-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This is the second time I've heard Mark Carney come up. I would be shocked and amazed if he were to do that! I would also definitely support him, but do you really think he would?
The story on CBC radio this morning mentioned that some un-named prominent Liberals are privately trying to convince Carney to run. I highly doubt it happens, but he'd be a much better alternative to Trudeau.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
How would Trudeau do in QC? I got the impression that he wasnt overly liked there? If he can win back QC then for the Libs isnt a win-win isnt it?
Trudeau is personally quite popular in Quebec and Ontario. With him holding the leadership of the party, the Liberals would stand a pretty good chance to win many of the Quebec seats that went to the NDP last election.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The story on CBC radio this morning mentioned that some un-named prominent Liberals are privately trying to convince Carney to run. I highly doubt it happens, but he'd be a much better alternative to Trudeau.
He would be a conservative killer IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Is Carney even a Liberal? Does he support that brand of politics?

I honestly don't know.

Just from looking at his background (working for Goldman Sachs, appointed by the PCs) I wouldn't know it if he was.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I find in general people don't like him because of his dad. What is it about his policies that people don't like? I'd be more interested in the opinion of MarchHare and other Liberals.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

The name Trudeau would be bad optics for a lot of the western provinces. Some people here have fairly long memories here after all. Wasn't he the one that said he was pro-Quebec separation?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that he is running because he becomes a brand name alternative to the NDP which should split the left-central vote and block the disaster that a Muclair government would be.

I will wait and see on my opinion on his policy until it is unveiled.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I find in general people don't like him because of his dad.
That's really only true in Western Canada (Alberta especially). In Ontario, Quebec, and the Atlantic provinces, Pierre Trudeau is generally well-liked. He was, afterall, voted as the third greatest Canadian a few years ago.

Quote:
What is it about his policies that people don't like? I'd be more interested in the opinion of MarchHare and other Liberals.
I think he's too young and inexperienced. His brand and popularity is almost entirely based on his father's name recognition. Many people throughout the country will vote for/against him solely because of that, not on Justin's own merits (or lack thereof). As far as I know, he's represented the citizens of his riding well enough as a member of the opposition, but he's never served in cabinet or held any kind of executive leadership position. In Canada, there's an incredible amount of power centralized in the PMO, and I think he'd be in over his head. It's one thing to represent a riding of ~100,000 people from the opposition side of the aisle, it's another thing altogether to lead a country of ~35 million. I'm not 100% opposed to him ever leading the Liberals, but I'd prefer if someone more experienced led the party back to power first and allow Trudeau to gain some seasoning in a prominent cabinet posting (say Foreign Affairs, Health, Labour, or House Leader).

Caveat: all of those comments applied equally to Stephen Harper before he became PM in 2006. YMMV if you consider Harper a success as PM.

Last edited by MarchHare; 09-26-2012 at 10:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not a fan. Can't Chretien just come back? he isn't that old!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Not a fan. Can't Chretien just come back? he isn't that old!
Yeah, Sponsorship Scandal part deux!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was only a matter of time. It will be interesting to see where this leads, but given where the Libs are currently sitting, I can't see it doing them any harm...
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Yeah, Sponsorship Scandal part deux!
who cares. it was just a drop in the bucket. Everyone who needed to goto jail went to jail. Look at the fighter jet scandal. that is going to cost us way more. I was watching W5 the other nite. like $50 billion is the total price tag!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I read that as Justin Timberlake.

Confusion has faded.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trudeau is going to win because the Liberals will treat this as a popularity contest. NDP should be the most worried because a strong Liberal presence in Quebec could send them to back to meager 3rd party status.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
He's from the west (not Quebec), he will never win the Liberal leadership.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
see re-opening the abortion debate in the HoC today
Talk is one thing - and I don't like it either - but the instant that it looks like they're taking steps on social issues, I stop voting for them and never vote for them again, and so does a large portion of the country. They like their majority and aren't going to throw it away on that stuff.

Personally I can always be persuaded to vote Liberal. I just haven't been persuaded lately. So whoever the leader is next go-round, I will listen. I don't like what I've heard so far on Trudeau (coverage hasn't been flattering) but if he does take this role he will have plenty of opportunities to convince me to vote for his party.
Closed Thread