Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #41
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've actually found marijuana fairly common among older professionals. Lots of older people keep a stash. They are just very secretive about it.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #42
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Not true, they test for alcohol as well to ensure a safe work environment.
Yeah, my mistake, was more thinking along the the lines of having a a few drinks the day or two before the test. As compared to having a joint the day or two before.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #43
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought all you needed to fail a drug test was to walk into a room where there was second-hand marijuana smoke. That's what Ross Rebagliati told me.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #44
dhc-2
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I seem to have ruffled a few feathers.

I don't agree that my statement was narrow-minded. Perhaps it was worded as more of an attack than it should have been, I apologize to Jets4Life. Yes, what I wrote was a generalization. In my experience, the adults I know that are drug users are generally immature and unintelligent. Yes, I do know some adults that do partake and yet are intelligent, but that doesn't mean that their decision to do drugs isn't stupid. You'll be hard-pressed to convince me that it isn't. There is no advantage to doing drugs, even 'harmless' ones such as pot. They would be just as intelligent and productive if they did not do drugs.

My point was that if you work in a field where the expectation is that you refrain from drug use as a condition of employment, and you willfully jeopardize that by using drugs and you have to try to cheat or beat a drug test, then you've made a decision that's not very smart. Doesn't seem like one bong hit would be worth the hassle, really. Think of it this way, would you want your surgeon or lawyer or airline pilot to have the occasional toke? I wouldn't.

Hilch, I do not smoke (don't get me started on that idiocy...). I have the odd drink. Now the difference there is that those things are legal and refraining from them on my own time is not a condition of my employment. Alcohol, when moderately consumed, has health benefits. Yes, pot does have medicinal properties but the long-term effects of smoking pot are negative. Smoke damages lungs, THC negatively affects the brain. I smoked in my younger days, I've felt the effects first-hand, and I maintain that it was stupid and pointless. I can guarantee you I'm no more enlightened and my mind is no more expanded for having done it. Waste of money and brain cells. I really wish I had never touched the stuff.
dhc-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #45
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I thought all you needed to fail a drug test was to walk into a room where there was second-hand marijuana smoke. That's what Ross Rebagliati told me.
Admit that you had to google him, in order to spell his last name.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #46
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Admit that you had to google him, in order to spell his last name.
I wonder if he has trouble with that too?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #47
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc-2 View Post
There is no advantage to doing drugs, even 'harmless' ones such as pot. They would be just as intelligent and productive if they did not do drugs.
Some people's perspective on what an enjoyable life entails extends beyond their productive capacity as a member of the economy.

Quote:
Think of it this way, would you want your surgeon or lawyer or airline pilot to have the occasional toke? I wouldn't.
As long as they are partaking in these activities in their personal time, I would be indifferent or moderately supportive.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #48
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I don't agree that my statement was narrow-minded. Perhaps it was worded as more of an attack than it should have been, I apologize to Jets4Life. Yes, what I wrote was a generalization. In my experience, the adults I know that are drug users are generally immature and unintelligent. Yes, I do know some adults that do partake and yet are intelligent, but that doesn't mean that their decision to do drugs isn't stupid. You'll be hard-pressed to convince me that it isn't. There is no advantage to doing drugs, even 'harmless' ones such as pot. They would be just as intelligent and productive if they did not do drugs.

My point was that if you work in a field where the expectation is that you refrain from drug use as a condition of employment, and you willfully jeopardize that by using drugs and you have to try to cheat or beat a drug test, then you've made a decision that's not very smart. Doesn't seem like one bong hit would be worth the hassle, really. Think of it this way, would you want your surgeon or lawyer or airline pilot to have the occasional toke? I wouldn't.

Hilch, I do not smoke (don't get me started on that idiocy...). I have the odd drink. Now the difference there is that those things are legal and refraining from them on my own time is not a condition of my employment. Alcohol, when moderately consumed, has health benefits. Yes, pot does have medicinal properties but the long-term effects of smoking pot are negative. Smoke damages lungs, THC negatively affects the brain. I smoked in my younger days, I've felt the effects first-hand, and I maintain that it was stupid and pointless. I can guarantee you I'm no more enlightened and my mind is no more expanded for having done it. Waste of money and brain cells. I really wish I had never touched the stuff.
If you're drinking more than 2 drinks in one session, there are definitely no health benefits.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #49
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...THC negatively affects the brain.
This is alarming to me. Can post some information on this?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #50
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap it's HOOT.

Hi HOOT!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #51
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's cute that you think that people like surgeons, lawyers (especially this profession) and pilots never have the occasional toke.

Last edited by valo403; 03-26-2012 at 04:05 PM.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post: