Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #161
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the guy apparently responsible for the gaffe is a Matt Damon look alike. Pretty hilarious.

http://ew.com/article/2016/02/28/osc...rian-cullinan/
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #162
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think it is hilarious how mad people are getting that one random guy didn't want to watch Moonlight.

On a related note, for those of you who said La La Land was boring, you're scum. Below scum. You clearly have no souls.
I just assume that PepsiFree is the director. He's taking it pretty personally.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #163
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think it is hilarious how mad people are getting that one random guy didn't want to watch Moonlight.

On a related note, for those of you who said La La Land was boring, you're scum. Below scum. You clearly have no souls.
To be fair, I was actually on OoC's side (I haven't seen Spotlight or Birdman and probably never will out of a lack of interest) but then he said it "looked boring," because the main character is black and gay (I assume, based on his comment about finding human dramas perfectly likable otherwise), which is just ridiculous.

"I don't like human dramas" - sure, whatever, different spokes
"I like human dramas, but not one with a gay black man" - ALRIGHT I GOT A QUESTION

Last edited by PepsiFree; 02-27-2017 at 03:24 PM.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
V
Old 02-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #164
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
To be fair, I was actually on OoC's side (I haven't seen Spotlight or Birdman and probably never will out of a lack of interest) but then he said it "looked boring," because the main character is black and gay, which is just ridiculous.
I thought I would hate Birdman but ended up liking it. I can totally understand why some people would hate it but there is brilliance in it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #165
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair, I was actually on OoC's side (I haven't seen Spotlight or Birdman and probably never will out of a lack of interest) but then he said it "looked boring," because the main character is black and gay, which is just ridiculous.
Actually he said:

"Hey now. Moonlight won best picture. Why pick movies that you think look entertaining when you can pick one that looks boring that won best picture?"

Then you commented about how he liked fantastic mr fox instead of wanting to see Moonlight.

His other comment came after you belittled his opinion on liking FMF but not wanting to see moonlight.

Last edited by Weitz; 02-27-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #166
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Actually he said:
As always, excellent recap.

Your recapping skills of a post that happened in this thread are second to none!
Old 02-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #167
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, again, you're just blindly reading things and re-stating them to fit your own thoughts. What I've said is: The movie looks boring, totally aside from the characters. And also, the premise of the story (a gay black man growing up and grappling with his sexuality) does not appeal to me in the slightest. Thus, I understandably have no interest in watching it. I'm not sure what about any of that is ridiculous.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #168
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Nope, again, you're just blindly reading things and re-stating them to fit your own thoughts. What I've said is: The movie looks boring, totally aside from the characters. And also, the premise of the story (a gay black man growing up and grappling with his sexuality) does not appeal to me in the slightest. Thus, I understandably have no interest in watching it. I'm not sure what about any of that is ridiculous.
Today you learned what constitutes ridiculous can be subjective (to borrow your line).

We'll disagree about it "looking boring" because I'm not sure how you can make that judgement from a 30 second trailer (if you watched the trailer? you at least watched the trailer...) so yeah, I do find it ridiculous. That's just me.

I've never met anyone who has zero interest in coming-of-age stories, considering how omnipresent they are... but fine, we won't make a movie date any time soon.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #169
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair, I was actually on OoC's side (I haven't seen Spotlight or Birdman and probably never will out of a lack of interest) but then he said it "looked boring," because the main character is black and gay (I assume, based on his comment about finding human dramas perfectly likable otherwise), which is just ridiculous.

"I don't like human dramas" - sure, whatever, different spokes
"I like human dramas, but not one with a gay black man" - ALRIGHT I GOT A QUESTION

You know, I've seen the film, and I didn't actually pick up on the gayness.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #170
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only category that I'm going to have to watch a couple of movies to decide on is the foreign language film. Did the Salesman win because it was an easy way to get a dig in at Trump? Toni Erdmann was running away with it up until the director of Salesman made a political statement by not traveling to the Oscars as a result of Trumps ban.

As for Best Picture, I kind of got the feeling that it wasn't the strongest year for 'films that will defy the ages'. They could have flip flopped the winner three or four times on stage, and my reaction would have been, 'Uh, Ok."
Old 02-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #171
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The only category that I'm going to have to watch a couple of movies to decide on is the foreign language film. Did the Salesman win because it was an easy way to get a dig in at Trump? Toni Erdmann was running away with it up until the director of Salesman made a political statement by not traveling to the Oscars as a result of Trumps ban.
Toni Erdmann was a dazzling film and was one of the best films of the year, foreign or not. The Salesman was a fine film though and Asghar Farhadi is a known commodity amongst Academy members as he has won an Oscar previously. And his films do pretty well commercially in North America to boot. So The Salesman's win was not surprising, with or without the travel ban.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #172
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And also, the premise of the story (a gay black man growing up and grappling with his sexuality) does not appeal to me in the slightest. Thus, I understandably have no interest in watching it. I'm not sure what about any of that is ridiculous.
Obviously you must be a racist homophobe. That's the only possible explanation for your refusal to watch this film. Way to expose yourself, you bigot.

Anyway...

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:30 PM   #173
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Lion should have got the best picture award.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #174
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

It seems whatever is a hot political or social topic these days will help you win an oscar.when you look back over the years you almost can instantly tell what was going on during that time period by watching the movies that came out.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #175
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 AM   #176
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
It seems whatever is a hot political or social topic these days will help you win an oscar.when you look back over the years you almost can instantly tell what was going on during that time period by watching the movies that came out.
Which makes perfect sense. What better to engage people with than timely deeply felt issues
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #177
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You know, I've seen the film, and I didn't actually pick up on the gayness.

I can't comment more for fear of spoilers, but there's a pretty clear homosexual act depicted in the film. Did you go to the bathroom during that scene?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #178
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

I can't comment more for fear of spoilers, but there's a pretty clear homosexual act depicted in the film. Did you go to the bathroom during that scene?
pants got tight
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #179
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, but sometimes the simplest stories/premises make for great films. One of my most favorite films ever is Cinema Paradiso, and it's really not much more than a coming of age film detailing the relationship between a young boy and an older man who is the projectionist at a theatre. What makes it great is the careful depiction of that relationship between those two people AND their relationship with the cinema. It's a love anthem for people who LOVE movies.

Fun side note, during the segment where they ask people around the world why they love movies, they showed this clip from Cinema Paradiso. If you haven't seen it, I highly, highly recommend it.

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #180
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

You could just as easily say that Moonlight was a coming-of-age movie that grapples with how young men meet society's view of what it means to be masculine. Basically, how we're shaped by the world around us and how we find ourselves despite it.

I get what peter is saying about the "gayness," though, I don't believe it to be a defining characteristic of the movie because I think the story is universal. Hi-lighting it happens to add to the political relevance of the film.

None of my comments were meant to inquire on OutoftheCube's personal beliefs, but the main point was that it's so much more than a story of a black man grappling with his sexuality, it's so much more universal. So to categorize it as that and say it's not interesting is to sell it short and not understand the film (which, how would you without seeing it?).

Similar to Blue is the Warmest Colour. If you haven't seen it, it's excellent, but I have a hard time labeling it an LGBTQ film when it's story and themes go so far beyond that to the point where they aren't reliant on the sexuality of the characters at all.