Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
anyone that thinks a 50 pt two way center should be compensated at 6.5 million dollars is insane.

another bullet dodged by Feaster, but its pretty clear he going to do something stupid and cripple this franchise further...
Avs do
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What I find very interesting about this club is that we are on par with the Boston Bruins scoring depth, numbers wise.
http://flames.nhl.com/club/stats.htm
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

I would say we're almost at the level that the Blackhawks are at, again, numbers wise
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Then we look up and down the roster, trying to find who to blame. So we point to goaltending.
And, when you compare our stats to a successful team like Anaheim, goalie wise, you see a huge difference.
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Goaltending and center depth are our issue.. as EVERYONE knows. When Kipper gets back.. hopefully the goaltending situation changes. How I can find these problems with proof in 5 minutes and how Feaster hasn't done anything about them when they are so damn obvious.. is just pathetic.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
What I find very interesting about this club is that we are on par with the Boston Bruins scoring depth, numbers wise.
http://flames.nhl.com/club/stats.htm
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

I would say we're almost at the level that the Blackhawks are at, again, numbers wise
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Then we look up and down the roster, trying to find who to blame. So we point to goaltending.
And, when you compare our stats to a successful team like Anaheim, goalie wise, you see a huge difference.
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Goaltending and center depth are our issue.. as EVERYONE knows. When Kipper gets back.. hopefully the goaltending situation changes. How I can find these problems with proof in 5 minutes and how Feaster hasn't done anything about them when they are so damn obvious.. is just pathetic.
Why is it such an easy fix to you?

What C has slipped through Jay's fingers that would have fixed this problem? CP was SCREAMING for Jay to do something about ROR and he did. CP was SCREAMING for Jay to try and snag Richards and he tried.

Our starting G is injured and we have a few talented prospects in the wings. The trade he's criticized for in the article brought in our (IMO) best option to replace Kipper. C and G are the toughest positions to fill, and from what I've seen Jay has (albeit unsuccessfully) made attempts to fill that roster spot.

Neither failed attempt however I can hold Jay accountable for. Richards chose another team despite a generous offer from Calgary, and ROR was signed by the Avs... not much more Jay could have done.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #24
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's easy and chicken bleep of Cox to point the finger after knowing the result.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cox is responsible for 500 words. He often fails to do that job well.

Feaster has much larger responsibilities, including deferring it to some people that are supposed to know hat they are doing, I have an easier time forgiving him.

Feaster set himself up for this but it will pass.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #26
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It infuriates me that the Toronto media are so self centred and lazy that they can only refer to the Leafs situations to frame anything.

The 2013 Flames are not the end of Sundin Maple Leafs and Feaster is not JFJ.

Cox and the rest of the eastern media can just go suck eggs.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
It infuriates me that the Toronto media are so self centred and lazy that they can only refer to the Leafs situations to frame anything.

The 2013 Flames are not the end of Sundin Maple Leafs and Feaster is not JFJ.

Cox and the rest of the eastern media can just go suck eggs.
Easy there. It's a Toronto publication bud. More a food for thought for Toronto readers - why the xenophobic attitude?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #28
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Surely this much hysteria and riddicule is too much for the ownership to ignore?
I hope they don't make decisions based on what Cox thinks
Old 03-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #29
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I'm taking from this is that we have moved from boring and irrelevant to laughing stocks of the league. From Wilds Canada to Leafs West.

I'm not even mad.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being from Toronto (though a Flames fan), I don't see the Flames as a laughing stock, though many of the moves reek of ownership not willing to do a proper rebuild. Getting into the playoffs isn't good enough, but to ownership, as long as they make the playoffs, that's money in their pockets. While I really really hate Cox's writing (because he is an egomaniac), there are parallels to the Leafs teams while Sundin was here. Signing guys past their prime (Lindros, Allison, etc) and refusing to deal their captain because of he was the face of the franchise, was a huge step back. The only team that I can think of that hasn't had a real rebuild that has been consistently successful has been Detroit, but they've also built through smart deals, and of course, drafting. No doubt Sutter left this team in a really bad situation with 14 or whatever, no movement clauses (!), but with a so-so aging team, and some decent prospects in the pipeline, this is the perfect year to start the rebuild. Baertschi, Gaudreau, Jankowski are guys who'll take time to develop but are solid prospects. Dealing Iggy will get a great return at the deadline in a year where mediocre teams in the thick of things will make an overpayment hoping to make the playoffs. Without question he could get picks and a high-end prospect. Kiprusoff could probably get a bit more on a team desperate for goaltending. Bouwmeester, if he keeps up his play could probably net a mid-first rounder. Other guys like Tanguay and Cammallari can get decent returns too. If ownership wants to take a step back to move a few steps forward, they'd set the Flames up for a much better future. The fans have shown they don't mind a few years to retool (as witnessed in the early 2000's). Time for ownership to step up and do the right thing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #31
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Sad and depressing. The worst is that you're powerless to affect change. You can only watch these clowns dance around the bonfire.
The only way to affect change is through apathy, empty seats, and cancelled season tickets. When the organization runs into difficulty filling the arena, change may come.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen in the short-term. In the long-term, it won't happen either because with a new building on the horizon, people will be clamouring to get in on that action.

Short of miracle drafting of superstars in later rounds, this team is going to be floudering for many years.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Avs do
This move by the Avs is as an FU to any teams trying to raid their organization...

I find it amusing that Feaster pundits laud this as a masterstroke that will now cripple the Avs longterm.

ummm, so if the Avs didn't match, how would this signing have been good for Calgary? If the same contract is now 'crippling' to the Avs?
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #33
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This move by the Avs is as an FU to any teams trying to raid their organization...

I find it amusing that Feaster pundits laud this as a masterstroke that will now cripple the Avs longterm.

ummm, so if the Avs didn't match, how would this signing have been good for Calgary? If the same contract is now 'crippling' to the Avs?
The line of reasoning is that if the Avs really wanted to pay ROR that much, they would have done so two months ago. While I don't have any evidence to back it up, I don't see the Avs as a team that wants to spend a lot of money. This is understandable, given that they've been pretty bad for a few years now.

A contract that one team doesn't want to have on the books is another team's bargain. Surely that's not that hard to understand ...
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #34
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

At first I thought this was pretty good article. But then I thought about it some more and frankly Damien Cox is editorializing on an issue without all of the facts. He gets a bunch of people riled up and excited but no one ever comes back to hold him accountable for omissions or errors. It's all too easy for people like this to hide behind the banner of an editorial.

Journalism in this country is in a sad state. All he did was consolidate all whole bunch of rumors and speculation and add a ton of hot sauce and then stand there proudly watching the chaos unfold.

If he was a journalist of any value whatsoever he would just pick up the phone and talk to his sources at the players Association and or the league and get a definitive answer on the subject from them or at a minimum present their altering viewpoints on the issue. But he didn't do either.

I mean seriously how easy is it to write 500 flame inducing words every day? There are trollers on this site that do a better job for free.

He is a cynical 9-to-5er with no pride in his work. His articles practically scream this.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #35
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
At first I thought this was pretty good article. But then I thought about it some more and frankly Damien Cox is editorializing on an issue without all of the facts. He gets a bunch of people riled up and excited but no one ever comes back to hold him accountable for omissions or errors. It's all too easy for people like this to hide behind the banner of an editorial.

Journalism in this country is in a sad state. All he did was consolidate all whole bunch of rumors and speculation and add a ton of hot sauce and then stand there proudly watching the chaos unfold.

If he was a journalist of any value whatsoever he would just pick up the phone and talk to his sources at the players Association and or the league and get a definitive answer on the subject from them or at a minimum present their altering viewpoints on the issue. But he didn't do either.

I mean seriously how easy is it to write 500 flame inducing words every day? There are trollers on this site that do a better job for free.

He is a cynical 9-to-5er with no pride in his work. His articles practically scream this.
Agree that he's a cynical pompous ######, but he is right about the Flames being in a dire state. Agree 1000% that he is an absolute moron though - I really don't like the guy.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

That is my complaint as well - not just Cox but many shabby journalists who make aggressive assertions just to make a name. Then there is absolutely no accountability if they turn out to be wrong.

I don't mind journalists being bold and making unpopular opinions. But I would like to see more accountability.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #37
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
The line of reasoning is that if the Avs really wanted to pay ROR that much, they would have done so two months ago. While I don't have any evidence to back it up, I don't see the Avs as a team that wants to spend a lot of money. This is understandable, given that they've been pretty bad for a few years now.

A contract that one team doesn't want to have on the books is another team's bargain. Surely that's not that hard to understand ...
In case you forgot, we are pretty close to the cap ourselves, so there is a pretty strong case that it wouldn't be a good contract for us either
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In case you forgot, we are pretty close to the cap ourselves, so there is a pretty strong case that it wouldn't be a good contract for us either
so the Flames would drop an older player and easily cover the 5M cap hit...there are lots of candidates
Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #39
PloKoon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have no problem with cox. Living in Ontario he is spot on 99% of the time on the leafs and other topics in the league. Maybe a perspective from outside Calgary is a good thing once in a while, especially when a franchise is in denial over what the right thing to do is at a time like this.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #40
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
so the Flames would drop an older player and easily cover the 5M cap hit...there are lots of candidates
Ha ha ha... well if there are so many 5M veterans that the Flames can "drop" easily, perhaps you would like to throw out several names... and methods of "dropping" them.
vanisleflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote