Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 01:38 PM   #2601
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its too bad Mcqueens been injured, was really looking forward to seeing how he stacks up
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:43 PM   #2602
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1786050359053652114

This is the type of mistake I hope we don't make again.

This guy has also talked about working with the Flames on prior drafts.

He also has some interesting models on stars, and who will be stars going.

His model is also the reason I have a lot of hope the Oilers won't win the cup because they don't have the star power outside of the 2 guys.

What mistake?

Stankoven definitely looks vastly more promising. Lots can still happen.

Also, is it always a "mistake" when you don't draft the best available player in every round? That seems like you expect a draft to work out perfectly. These are 17 year old kids for the most part and there is a tremendous amount of noise. What you should be doing as an organization is going back and reading notes and adjusting as some of your players bust and some other considerations that you had were bypassed in favour of those busts.

With that kind of an argument, was it a mistake that Calgary took Jiri Hrdina in the 8th round of the 1984 entry draft, allowing the Kings to snag Luc Robittaile 12 spots later? Do you know what I am getting at?

I might be wrong here - and I apologize if I am - but I think you are trying to insinuate that the Flames are passing on undersized players in favour of larger ones. If you just look at how many undersized players have been taken by this organization throughout the past decade, then that's where the argument should die.

As for some other posts:

Silayev would NOT be rated this high by basically every major publication if it was for his size alone, or for him being a defence-ONLY prospect. His offensive upside is QUESTIONABLE, not completely absent. It is questionable because the KHL is notorious for not giving opportunity to young players, and it is a lower-scoring league as is anyway. You can't begin to undestand his offensive ability by stat-watching. You have to watch video on him. The more I see, the more I think there is something more to his offensive ability. He makes great passes and seems to have decent vision, and he has a nice shot that he often gets through. I think he could actually be competent offensively - competent enough to be on a top pairing without needing him to play alongside an offensive rover-type like Tanev should play with.

Regehr was a critical piece for the Flames for a long time and was easily a top-pairing guy here. At 9th, I would be fine with that. However, it sure seems that Silayev is ahead of where Regehr was at the same age. I get (and actually share) the notion that the Flames need an offensive catalyst this draft either in a C, W or D, but I would also be very happy in drafting this guy at 9th. Very few outlets have him lower than 9th, and most of them have him going before. He could be a player who, in his prime, is killing the other team's offence and helping Calgary transition from defence to offence quickly. Maybe he isn't Chara (though he may be), but maybe he is like a more agile Regehr with better puck skills and a better wrister (Regehr had a great slap shot that he never used much).

I quite share Bingo's attitude here - almost every player in the top 12 I would be excited to get this year. There are some that I would prefer (cough Tij cough), but there isn't a single one that I outright wouldn't want. There are some that I have questions about - for instance, Lindstrom who I think will be a winger in the NHL rather than a centre since I think he is not dynamic enough with the puck and suffers from tunnel vision too much, and has question marks about his back. However, even then, if the Flamed draft him, I would assume that they took a deep dive into his injuries to make sure that he is ok, and I would be super excited to see his speed, size, phenomenal shot and mean streak develop in Calgary. Catton migh also be a winger rather than a centre, but he is a so dynamic. Parekh has question marks with effort (defensively), but if is at the Fox/Hughes level, that's something you can work with. Yakemchuk I have issues about with his skating - slower offensive defencemen may have more trouble translating in the NHL, but that's quite the skillset. The list goes on, really.

I prefer Tij because I feel you just know this kid is going to be an important player. He may not be the best player out of the bunch in the first 12, but I think his bust potential is incredibly low. This kid has a high floor, and the more you watch him the more he looks like he is taking more steps and becoming more dynamic. Having the support of Jarome really helps - having a HHOF tell him: "When I first started, I started questioning my ability to score at this level, and though that maybe I would end up as a role player. I kept at it, and the scoring came along with it. Maybe it will for you too, so don't stop working." --- I totally picture that kind of a conversation happening through the trails and tribulations of these kids developing over the next few years.

Just my thoughts anyway. Only time will tell who was right and wrong.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 03:36 PM   #2603
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Hedman put up 4 points in 39 games in the Swedish Elite League in his age 17 year. There's a lot more about a young 17 year old playing against grown men that can be evaluated over points
It's worrisome though that Silayev hasn't put up points against kids his own age either. Compare their Jr & U16/17 International Tournament production:

Silayev-MHL 68GP 2G 11A 13PTS
Hedman-J20 50GP 17G 16A 33PTS

Silayev-U16/U17 13GP 0G 0A 0PTS
Hedman-U16/U17 14GP 6G 7A 13PTS

Edited to include playoff numbers. Also noticed though - when Hedman had 4pts in 39GP of pro, that was his D-1 year. In his draft year, he actually had 43GP 7G 14A 21PTS +21.

Last edited by The Fonz; 05-02-2024 at 04:36 PM.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 03:39 PM   #2604
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
His model would have also led to this team drafting Ayrton Martino and Sasha Pastujov over Stankoven in the 2nd round as they were his 13th, and 14th rated prospects in that draft. His model had Mason McTavish at 22. His model didn't have Wyatt Johnston as a 1st round talent. I could go on and on. An NHLe/purely production driven model is borderline useless in my estimation, but of course it will have it's "hits" along the way too..

Julien Gauthier was used as a draft year comparison for Stankoven for crying out loud.
You're doing it wrong. Hindsight is the best sight!
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:39 PM   #2605
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
It's worrisome though that Silayev hasn't put up points against kids his own age either. Compare their Jr & U16/17 International Tournament production:

Silayev-MHL 41GP 2G 6A 8PTS
Hedman-J20SE 34GP 13G 12A 25PTS

Silayev-U16/U17 13GP 0G 0A 0PTS
Hedman-U16/17 14GP 6G 7A 13PTS
That's fair. I don't have any context on those leagues or the teams he was on then
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:47 PM   #2606
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I would bet Mckenna gives the record (whatever Hagens ends at) a good run next year
I wouldn't bet against him demolishing it. McKenna is just completely unreal, just an absolute wizard out there... I really really really want Vegas to just absolutely suck in 2026.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:54 PM   #2607
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I wouldn't bet against him demolishing it. McKenna is just completely unreal, just an absolute wizard out there... I really really really want Vegas to just absolutely suck in 2026.
It also bring up the question of which players in Medicine Hat have inflated stats because of McKenna. Is there an online source that has that information? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Basha and Lindstrom are highly projected prospects on the team, and Mrsic is no slouch either.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:56 PM   #2608
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stromgren is doing alright developmentally. He's become one of the better forwards since he figured out North American ice. Don't think he'll become a Stankoven but I got no qualms with their pick. IIRC, Aatu Ratu was passed over as well at that pick which I at the time I'd have wanted him taken over anyone else available.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Stromgren see some NHL games next season .

Just another reason to trade a winger as we want to give ice to the youth.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:59 PM   #2609
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It also bring up the question of which players in Medicine Hat have inflated stats because of McKenna. Is there an online source that has that information? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Basha and Lindstrom are highly projected prospects on the team, and Mrsic is no slouch either.
It's been covered in this long thread but Lindstrom saw very little time with McKenna and I think it was also noted that his production came without McKennas help.

During the playoffs though I did see the coach load up Lindstrom, McKenna and Basha a few times to get something going, which ultimately didn't materialize
Old 05-02-2024, 04:40 PM   #2610
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking, we don't talk enough about Michael Brandsegg-Nygard in this thread. He's one of my favorite players in this draft, even though he's a winger, and I wouldn't mind at all if we took him at #9. He's a 6'1"(I think he'll play at 6'2") power-forward with a bit of a mean streak, but he's also an explosive skater, and one of the best defensive performers in the draft. He's a top offensive player too, with 5 points in 5 games at the WJC for a weak Team Norway, and is third overall in scoring by U-20 players in the AllSvenskan (a men's league) with 18 points in 41 games. 12 points in 7 games in the J20 as well. He'll be a difference-maker at the next level.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 05:06 PM   #2611
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
With that kind of an argument, was it a mistake that Calgary took Jiri Hrdina in the 8th round of the 1984 entry draft, allowing the Kings to snag Luc Robittaile 12 spots later? Do you know what I am getting at?
Absolutely not!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 05:58 PM   #2612
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I've been thinking, we don't talk enough about Michael Brandsegg-Nygard in this thread. He's one of my favorite players in this draft, even though he's a winger, and I wouldn't mind at all if we took him at #9. He's a 6'1"(I think he'll play at 6'2") power-forward with a bit of a mean streak, but he's also an explosive skater, and one of the best defensive performers in the draft. He's a top offensive player too, with 5 points in 5 games at the WJC for a weak Team Norway, and is third overall in scoring by U-20 players in the AllSvenskan (a men's league) with 18 points in 41 games. 12 points in 7 games in the J20 as well. He'll be a difference-maker at the next level.
Yep, super high on him since the start of the year.
Definitely a power forward with speed.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 06:31 PM   #2613
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
McKenna played mostly with Weisblatt and St.Martin at even strength, but Weisblatt is no passenger.

The Tigers first PP unit was 5 forwards, Basha and Lindstrom (until his injury) saw time with Mckenna on that unit, but again those two drive play at the junior level and weren't really leaching off of McKenna.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:04 PM   #2614
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I like him but not at 9. If we get another in the top 15 I’d love to grab him too, but imo their are 10-12 guys ahead of him
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 07:59 PM   #2615
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I'll let you check back with those rankings in about a month sigh.
Sure, still don't see Iginla ranked higher than 10 on most lists.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:18 PM   #2616
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think we all can disagree on whom we should pick, but the one common bond all Flames fans share is that we all know with 100% certainty, that if we pick Iginla, he’s gonna be terrible, and if we do not, he’s gonna change the world.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:51 PM   #2617
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Sure, still don't see Iginla ranked higher than 10 on most lists.
Curious about what lists you follow for “expert” opinions.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:27 AM   #2618
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (U-18 Edition, Vol.1):

Though he's not getting a lot of ice time in the U-18's, C/RW Adam Hesselvall has caught my eye. He had some draft buzz early on in this campaign, but his season has hit some potholes along the way. He recorded 10 goals and 30 points in 43 games for Sodertalje SK of the J20, to go with 38 penalty-minutes, which earned him a 1-game call-up to the Allsvenskan. Hesselvall started the season with 10 points in his first 10 games in the J20, but hit a slump in early October where he went 11 games with only 1 point, and then put up 19 points in his next 22 games. In limited minutes at the U-18's, Hesselvall is currently sitting at 1 goal in 5 games., but he registered 3 points in 6 games at the World Junior A Challenge, where he was tied with Melvin Fernstrom for 10th on Team Sweden. The 6'0"190lb winger can play center and both special teams, but is largely a complimentary player, and doesn't really push pace or drive play.

It's very difficult to describe Hesselvall's style. His one goal at the U-18's had him appearing out of thin air to swat in a pass from his teammate behind the net- which pretty much encapsulates his routine in the offensive zone. He often looks like he's floating around aimlessly, but he's actually stalking the puck by lurking around undetected, exploiting open space and time. He's like a ghost down low and around the net, sneaking in and out of soft spots and high-danger, unbeknownst to his enemies, getting open and waiting for the right moment to strike. It's not like he's waiting for the play to come to him, he's just extremely opportunistic with excellent hockey sense and impeccable timing. When entering the zone off-puck though, he will break hard for the net once the puck is over the line, and on the forecheck, he's disruptive and causes havok. Though he flashes high-end playmaking and passing skills, he is always looking to shoot, and perhaps relies too much on his shot. He does have a hard, accurate shot though, with a quick release and a skillful use of deception, and he's always putting himself in prime positions to unleash. He uses that shot as a playmaking tool as well, firing low and hard to provide rebound opportunities for his teammates, and to cause havok in the crease. He's not afraid of the greasy areas, and will muck and grind for possession. He's also not afraid to apply a bit of physicality in order to dislodge pucks.

When he takes the opportunity to make a play via the pass, he shows soft hands and good vision, with the ability to thread the needle through traffic with crisp, accurate passes. Hesselvall is an above-average skater with a good top-speed, but he needs work on his explosiveness and acceleration, as he can be beaten in short-area races and arrive a split-second too late to grab loose pucks. He handles extremely well, and the puck often looks like it's glued to his stick, but he makes his decisions quickly and doesn't carry the puck for too long. Against attackers 1-on-1, he makes them miss with his slick moves, exhibiting patience and poise. He's very slippery with his ability to dodge checks, and roll off of hits. Off the puck, he skates smart routes to stay available for passes, and to support the rush. Hesselvall demonstrates awareness and anticipation on both sides of the puck, and although he's not a stalwart, he works hard defensively to be disruptive and support his D. He always seems to be ahead of the play mentally, reading and reacting with an active stick and exemplary positioning.

Hesselvall is not a shoe-in to be drafted, and his production throughout the year might have cost him. He shows some impatience, and will opt for a low-percentage shot on net, when he should delay and wait for more options. This is tied to his shoot-first mentality, but he will need to learn to use his playmaking skills better, to diversify his attack to be less predictable. He has to change his style a bit, and learn to play with pace, or he'll be left behind when he gets to the pros. He's very streaky and inconsistent, which will have to change, and he needs to upgrade his skating. In the current U-18's, he's being used on a bottom-6 energy line, and he doesn't look out of place which gives me hope that he could fulfill that role at the next level, if all else fails. Hesselvall could be a long-term project, and will have to wait until later rounds to be picked, if he is picked, but I like the kid.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-04-2024 at 01:15 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 02:31 AM   #2619
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Am I the only one who just realized Carter Yakemchuk, a defenseman, scored 30 goals this year in the dub???

That's wild.
You have to consider he's also one of the oldest players in the draft though, he had 19g-47pts last year, for instance he's 9 months older than Dickinson, 6 months older than Parekh and a full 11 months older than Iginla.

Not always a big deal but it usually amounts to an extra year in the CHL which can be huge in the development curve.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 02:35 AM   #2620
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (U-18 Edition, Vol.2):

Future fan-favorite Brendan McMorrow is playing down the lineup for Team USA at the U-18 Tournament, but despite having no points in 5 games, he's been noticeable. It should feel familiar to the 5'11",190lb left-winger, who has been playing a similar role all season on a talented NTDP team, with 8 goals and 22 points in 58 games. I feel like he would have benefitted from playing in the USHL instead, where he would be playing more minutes in better situations with more of an opportunity to show off his offensive ability. He was chosen in the second round of the WHL US Prospects Draft, 29th overall by the Spokane Chiefs, but chose the college route.

BMM plays like a 6'2" power-forward who forechecks with ferocity, battling tooth and nail for every inch of real estate- he is able to create turnovers against top defensemen. He's a puck-hound who chases down carriers and makes their life miserable, and despite his lack of size, he's a force down low. He does more than just finish his checks, he hits everything, and plays a physical brand of hockey with amazing discipline, as he only had 16 penalty-minutes. McMorrow is gritty and hard-nosed, and a bit of an agitator, as he's constantly buzzing around in his opponents' faces- giving them fits, and getting them off their game. He wins battles along the wall, and isn't at all afraid of the greasy areas down low, in corners, and around the net. Though he plays hard, he manages to find the soft spots on the ice, and has offensive upside with passing skill- though he isn't a high-end playmaker or creator. There's also flashes of a useful deception game to manipulate defenders into giving up space. As one would suspect, he's a net-front presence who gets most of his scoring opportunities in-close, and will look for rebound chances and tips. He can also lean into his hard, heavy one-timer to get the job done.

McMorrow is an excellent skater with smoothness and agility, which makes him even more dangerous. He can spin off of checks, or make sharp cuts to the front of the net from below the goal-line- he plays with pace, and has an explosive short area burst. Of course, he plays with relentless motor and a sky-high compete level, giving 110% each and every shift. He's a high character kid, and a team-first player who accepts his role and sets an example for his teammates, playing with high energy and giving them some jump. His bread and butter is his sound defensive game, where he demonstrates keen awareness and high IQ to force even the best players to make mistakes. He doesn't cheat, and shows good attention to detail. McMorrow anticipates the play well, and makes stops proactively by intercepting passes, blocking shots, and disrupting lanes- he will also throw his body around to dislodge pucks. Wherever he goes in his career, his coaches will trust him in man-down situations, as he'a a superb penalty-killer. There's upside here, and I think scouts will recognize it, so I believe he'll be taken in the fourth, or fifth round. He's still likely to be a bottom-6 forward in the future, but he will have the opportunity to develop his offensive game at the University of Denver this fall, with a long runway.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-03-2024 at 02:38 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft