Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default QC Player Overview and Update

Im fairly interested in the progress of the various Flames players in the AHL this year. Problem is, I almost never get to see them play myself and the available AHL stats are bare bones: total-ice time by game and situation would be nice, for example. I tend to check out game threads and the post-game media stuff and pick up little pieces of updates that way. However, I think it would be great if some of the QC fans who get to see them regularly could give me a "fuller picture" of what's going on on the farm. For example:

- Who tends to play against the other teams better players? Who's the best defenseman to be out at the end of the 3rd when the Flames are leading by one for instance? Who kills penalties well and regularly?

- Who are the key cogs on the club and who are the passengers?

- Are there any "potential" difference makers that aren't quite living up to standards thanks to bad luck or circumstances (saddled with crappy linemates)?

- Is the team's general lack of offense caused by personnel (lack of skill) or systemic (defensive scheme) issues?

- Any other general comments on particular potential NHLers: Nystrom, Chucko, Pelech, Van Der Gulik, Stevenson, Ramholt...

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I will post my opinions as simply a fan who attends most home games.

So many of the players look great one night and terrible the next. Too many of them look great in the first period only to look awful in the second.

With that said, some thoughts off the top of my head.

Kolanos is a good offensive force. He never plays defense and rarely even attempts to back check. His physicality has at least picked up. He even dropped the gloves a few weeks back. He still isn't someone to be scared of while your on the wall, but he's been doing better. Also, for some reason, Kolanos thinks the only place to shoot from is at or behind the goal line. I think like 80% of his shots come from the corner at about a -5 degree angle!

Stevenson just seems to have that knack for scoring. In my opinion he never looks like he is skating circles around everyone. For being top 10 in league scoring he's amazingly low key. He's not a guy that makes the other team look stupid because he is so insanely good. But the guy puts the puck in the net, thats gotta be worth something!

Germyn hasn't been scoring this year. But he seems to try and be much more physical because of it. He is always finishing his checks and starting stuff in front of the net. He seems to be looking for a fight most of the time.

Chucko to me looks awful. This might be more of a personal perspective, but every time he's on the ice he just looks overwhelmed. Pucks continually jump off his stick, players skate out of his reach, he just looks a step slow or something. And then, after his terrible shifts, he crawls back to the bench at an insanely slow pace. The least the guy could do is show some hustle.

Van Der GUlik is a guy I like. He seems to put good effort into his shifts but not get the statistical payoff.

Nystrom hasn't been out there as much as I thought he would. They seem to put him on the 3rd or 4th line all the time and on the PK. I guess since he is that kind of player in the NHL, they just want to keep him in that mindset. But I thought they might let him play with the top line and try and get his offensive game together. At times you can see the NHL experience. He can just skate around the slower less experienced players. I am sure thats just something you have to be in the big show to acquire. Other times he looks more average, but seems like he has his game together enough to come back up.

Peters - my fiance and I love him. No one else seems to though. He doesn't seem to give 100% on all his shifts, but I do think he tried hard and gets decent results.

I like Prust. He puts it all out there and is a physical player. I wonder if he has enough to get to the NHL though? He seems to be comfortable with that agitator role, so possibly a good 4th line energy guy???

Maki is a guy I love to watch. He really skates hard and is in good position. He is normally playing down on the 3rd and 4th lines, but i think he could be a good guy to play with Stevenson and Kolanos.

I have read on here that people think Sutter is totally overmatched. I don't think he looks too bad out there. I am sure his last name is the reason hes out there, but he seems to be a decent contributor.

As far as D-men go, to me, Hambly and Ramholt look really good at times, but bad at other times. Though they both get a lot of ice time, I never really feel safe if the other team is coming into the zone and they are back there. Never know if they are going to make a great play or get worked over.

I like Palin and Pelech. They both seem to work hard and play within their game.

Pardy is a big guy and uses his body well. He is just one of the slower guys out there and that works against him sometimes.

As for goalies, they all seem to let in stupid goals at times. Perhaps its the rust from shuffling around so much and platooning in different situations. Can't argue with McElhinney as he has the lowest GAA in the league, but he also doesn't look like the second coming of Martin Brodeur or anything...

Just my opinions. I never followed these guys before this year. I am a Red Wings fan traditionally and used to hate the Flames thanks to that playoff series a few years ago. We also just moved to the QC this fall, so we got here when the new team did. Weren't around for the QC's old team, or the whole Omaha debacle. Also, this is my first post. I was waiting to be approved for a few days.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thanks and welcome dobbles and good first post. I don't know about that Red Wing history though.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanks for the update.

Chucko - starting to look like a weak candidate to be an NHLer. Maybe he still is that slow developing power forward that can "stick handle in a phone booth", but i doubt it. I usually like Sutter's draft picks (i like Pelech where he got him), but I think he blew the Chucko pick.

I have a sense that Sutter had Green targeted for a post 1st pick that he wanted, but saw him go in the first round. I will try to dig up the article.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I have a sense that Sutter had Green targeted for a post 1st pick that he wanted, but saw him go in the first round. I will try to dig up the article.
It was speculated that Sutter wanted Chipchura and traded down when he went to Montreal one pick ahead of where we would have drafted. We did get Boyd and Prust out of the deal though.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

yeah, i do have a different perspective since i really have no idea who is supposed to be good or not. i hope it allows me to have a bit more unbiased opinions. i have heard that chucko was supposed to be a pretty good prospect, but what i have seen of him says otherwise.

i will most likely catch both games this weekend and will try to let you guys know what i see.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It was speculated that Sutter wanted Chipchura and traded down when he went to Montreal one pick ahead of where we would have drafted. We did get Boyd and Prust out of the deal though.
Ya.....i remember that. But i remember reading something that there were a few defensemen that Sutter thought he would be able to finagle after taking Chucko with his 1st rounder. They (Sutter or Button...can't recall which) were surprised that a bunch of D went bang bang bang right after the Chucko pick. It sounded like they might have played it a little different with 20/20 hindsight.

27 Schultz
28 Fistric
29 Green
30 Rogers
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks very much for the detailed response. Quite useful.

Don't feel confused about your perspective on Chucko. Everything you said squares with everything I've ever seen of him whenever he's played in town. Slow, not particularly good at anything, seemingly confused a lot of the time. I have no idea what our scouts saw in him way back when.
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

^Rogers - now there's a kid that also isn't turning out. Totally forgot about him really - part of the 'ol Hitmen curse.

I've not watched a lot of Chucko but from what I've seen he has to figure out what the big body of his should be used for. Would love to see him emulate Dustin Penner but I don't know if he has that in him.

I don't think his speed would be a huge issue, if he stopped doing things that fast guys typically do. Best I've seen him is when he's on the boards, in the net and in the corners.

When he's around the perimeter, or worse yet - being expected to carry the puck - he's not useful at all.

Certainly not writing him off, but of Sutter's first rounders he's the guy that isn't looking the best right now.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only missing one home game this year and seeing 7 away games I have seen alot of Kris.

My thoughts of this player is he shows some skill but hes still rough around the edges. when he carries the puck he is stiff as a board. He looks like hes not comfortable with the puck. He does well down low but he doesnt know his role on the team yet and you can see that.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will also say I am completly impressed with Pelech. Hes big he is physical and hes hardly out of position. I also like Palin kinda the same type of player.

Now Sutter has started to impress me. He seems to be finding that agitator role on the team to take the pressure off of Prust and Germyn. those guys need to score not agitate other teams players. let sutter get beat up i dont care but hes kinda like watching Nystrom in the NHL. hes not going to score but he puts up good energy and hes willing to take a beating for his teammates by taking the body giving a hit or fighting.

BTW I got a picture with Eric and Bob Nystrom last night. I was so stoked.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
loknessmonsters
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
yeah, i do have a different perspective since i really have no idea who is supposed to be good or not. i hope it allows me to have a bit more unbiased opinions. i have heard that chucko was supposed to be a pretty good prospect, but what i have seen of him says otherwise.

i will most likely catch both games this weekend and will try to let you guys know what i see.
Thanks Dobbles, I hope that you continue your posts. Most interesting and informative.
LOK
loknessmonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Two things about Matt Pelech:

One, he already has a nasty disposition. It took Robyn Regehr about four seasons to become The Robyn Regehr.

Secondly, Regehr had a lot of growing pains and those were made glaringly in the NHL spotlight perhaps owing largely to the Flames blueline depth of the time. Pelech has the luxury of honing his game in the AHL.

Glad to hear the QC fans chiming in with first-hand accounts of Pelech's progress.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #14
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Kolanos is a good offensive force. He never plays defense and rarely even attempts to back check. His physicality has at least picked up. He even dropped the gloves a few weeks back. He still isn't someone to be scared of while your on the wall, but he's been doing better. Also, for some reason, Kolanos thinks the only place to shoot from is at or behind the goal line. I think like 80% of his shots come from the corner at about a -5 degree angle!
Wow, Kolanos = Oleg Saprykin.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow, most of the QC Flames are minus players but Palin is a +17. Is this an anomalous stat that can't have too much read into it or is it an actual indication of his defensive game?
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
Wow, most of the QC Flames are minus players but Palin is a +17. Is this an anomalous stat that can't have too much read into it or is it an actual indication of his defensive game?
Palin is by far one of our better defensive players. He, Pelech and Pardy are by far our strongest d-men. I think Burke deserves more ice time. He's a big body and isn't afraid to use it.

McGill had Ramholt and Pardy together in Rockford on Friday for a while and they didn't look too bad. They were paired together last night and we didn't fare so well. Good to see Burke out there tonight. (And Sutter sitting!)

I swear, though, if I have to watch Ramholt chase down one more puck that he either misses on the PP or is out of position on....he has been absolutely brutal this weekend!
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #17
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

I don't know why Prust gets so much attention. I think he's highly over-rated as a physical player. He fights a lot, yes, but that's pretty much it when it comes to the physical game. He rarely actually checks someone. More often then not it's just a little shoulder bump. He takes incredibly stupid penalties and doesn't keep his yap shut when he gets them. Tonight, for example, he took a ridiculous penalty in overtime that could have cost his team the game.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #18
chris lindberg
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who all fights besides Nystrom and Prust, Couture and Cunning?

Why is Burke on the team and Baldwin is not?
chris lindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #19
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris lindberg View Post

Simple answer.

Hes better.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #20
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris lindberg View Post

One big guess would be experience--Burke has it and Baldwin doesn't. Not a lot of AHL experience, but he's made it to the playoffs twice with ECHL teams, so he knows what it takes. And we need that kind of experience during this push to make the playoffs. But I don't really know.

What I do know is that I started really paying attention to Burke before the Canada trip. He does the little things right on the ice...and he's usually doing his job so well that you don't even always notice that he's out there! He's in the plus column on a team that has a lot of minuses on D....and we win more than we lose when he's in the lineup.

As for fights, Chucko has had a few and Sutter has had a couple lately, but nothing earlier in the season. I honestly don't pay all that much attention to who's fighting. I pay more attention to who's taking needless or stupid penalties!
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote