Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Flames Announce Plans For 2008 Genesis Jersey Auction

FLAMES ANNOUNCE PLANS FOR 2008 GENESIS JERSEY AUCTION
13th Annual Event Scheduled for February 22nd at the i wireless Center

For Release on Friday, February 1st

Moline, IL – The Quad City Flames today announced plans for the 13th Annual Genesis Jersey Auction entitled “A Shot for Charity”. The event will follow the Flames’ 7:05 p.m. game on Friday, February 22nd vs. the Peoria Rivermen. Proceeds from this year’s event will benefit the Genesis Compassion Fund, which raises money for many causes with a focus on providing flu shots for children in area schools.

Quad City hockey teams have participated in the Genesis Jersey Auction since 1996. The event has raised over $525,000 during its history. As a part of the 2008 festivities, the Flames will wear specialty jerseys that will feature the Flames’ secondary, or scripted, logo. Following the game, players will entertain fans while having their jerseys auctioned.

This year’s edition of the Genesis Jersey Auction will also feature a new component as jerseys will be available in an on-line auction for the first time ever. Eric Nystrom and Dustin Boyd jerseys will be auctioned on-line along with a 2007 Quad City Flames team jersey. The on-line auction begins on February 13th and runs through February 20th at qcflames.com.

“The Genesis Jersey Auction continues to be one of the highlights of our promotional schedule,” said Flames President Tim Taylor. “We are very proud of our partnership with Genesis due to their many wonderful causes. This is yet another example of their commitment to bettering our community.”

“The proceeds to the Genesis Compassion Fund will positively impact the lives of young Quad Citians who receive these much needed flu shots,” said Ken Croken, Vice President of Corporate Communications and Marketing for Genesis. “We want to thank the Flames and all the fans who will participate.”

Tickets for the Flames game vs. Peoria on February 22nd, and all Flames home games, are available now at the i wireless Center Box Office, via phone at (563) 326-1111 or on-line at ticketmaster.com.

The Flames continue a five game road trip this weekend in Houston. Game time is 7:35 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Game can be heard on 93.9 FM WYEC beginning at 7:10 p.m. with the Hayman’s Ace Hardware Pre-Game Show. After the game, the Kinetic Fitness Post-Game Show is on the air.

-Ben Stein
Hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Five bucks says they're gonna be ugly.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
Five bucks says they're gonna be ugly.
I'm hoping the owners realize that what the Mallards did will not fly in the AHL. I've been oh-so-wrong before though. Maybe Calgary can demand approval before going to Reebok, or at least ask us here to chose betwen options.

OK, you're right...they will be ugly.

Hoody

-Ben Stein
Hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

No way... QCs tradition is awesome. Keep it up!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
jamesteterenko
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd be interested in bidding on one of these. That is they are not ugly. Then again, if it is really ugly like some of the others, I might be interested just because of the novelty.
jamesteterenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Given our track record, I'm voting for ugly. There hasn't been an auction jersey in years that I've even wanted to bid on!

But most of those were Howard. Maybe these will be better??!
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Prototype

Exp:

Am I wrong, or are you to bid on the jersey before the player actually wears it? Looks like the auction ends on the 20th and the game is on the 22nd?

How pissed would you be if you bid big money on a Nystrom or Boyd, and then they get called up before the game. It wouldn't be game worn anymore...

I'm surprised that the auction is before the game itself. Looks like it might just be Boyd and Nystrom on the online auction, but still...
Old 02-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prottotype View Post
Am I wrong, or are you to bid on the jersey before the player actually wears it? Looks like the auction ends on the 20th and the game is on the 22nd?

How pissed would you be if you bid big money on a Nystrom or Boyd, and then they get called up before the game. It wouldn't be game worn anymore...

I'm surprised that the auction is before the game itself. Looks like it might just be Boyd and Nystrom on the online auction, but still...
I agree. Last year they did the online post-game and they drew some big bucks. Boyd is already in Calgary so, unless he's back down for the game, his won't be game-worn no matter what.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prottotype View Post

I believe their thinking on that is the Boyd and Nystrom jerseys probably have a chance of selling higher to someone online(IE - someone from Calgary) than someone here in town.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nice. I doubt Ill be betting on one, simply because I'm a broke college student.
Does anyone know why so many "minor" league teams do this though? Where did it start?

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Nice. I doubt Ill be betting on one, simply because I'm a broke college student.
Does anyone know why so many "minor" league teams do this though? Where did it start?
Many minor league teams do it as a source of extra income. Figure $120-$180 per jersey, and the rest is profit. However, a lot of teams(Quad City for instance) do it to support charities.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody View Post
I'm hoping the owners realize that what the Mallards did will not fly in the AHL. I've been oh-so-wrong before though. Maybe Calgary can demand approval before going to Reebok, or at least ask us here to chose betwen options.
That's a tough one to predict. I'm sure Ken King and Sutter are fully behind the principal, but those Mallard Jerseys were ugly. But it is tradition and King and Sutter are all about tradition and anything that establishes tradition in QC is most likely be supported by Flames upper management. Let's just hope they have a sense of humour about it.

If anything an ugly farmer team jersey for one game, might bring some cool exposure for the team in Calgary. It's shocking how many "hardcore fans" have no idea where or that we even have a farm team.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
pioneer98
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Would this even be a concern if they were still called the Mallards or had some other name entirely? I realize since they went with "Flames" for the QC team, that Calgary would want to protect the identity a bit. But I think they will be able to keep this tradition going, no problem. They might just have to keep the jerseys a little more conservative, like in the earlier Mallards days.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

my birthday is on the 22nd so if anyone wants to bid on a jersey to give me for my birthday , i wouldnt not accept it .... IM JUST SAYIN !!
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #15
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

i'm going to be following this with interest. I really want to see if they will go ridiculous or not. Will the AHL try to keep this more professional then some of the years past that were described before?
DrunkSkunk can you message me when details about this go up? I'm not in this forum enough
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #16
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If they do this auction like they have in the past, it's a blast. The players do "skits" or something to raise the price of their jersey. Fans of the opposing teams even loved staying for it....and it lasts a couple of hours.

The guys on this year's team are a fun group....whatever Sutter does should be classic! (He and two other guys showed up at a Christmas party in women's Christmas sweaters that they got at Goodwill!!)

We'll take pictures. I'll even try to learn how to use the video on my camera better by then!!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
pioneer98
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
my birthday is on the 22nd so if anyone wants to bid on a jersey to give me for my birthday , i wouldnt not accept it .... IM JUST SAYIN !!
I tried that schtick on the other message board. My birthday in on the 23rd.

I think there is a connection between having a winter birthday and being a hockey fan. It seems like there are an awful lot of Jan and Feb birthdays on the message boards.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #18
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyOne View Post
If they do this auction like they have in the past, it's a blast. The players do "skits" or something to raise the price of their jersey. Fans of the opposing teams even loved staying for it....and it lasts a couple of hours.

The guys on this year's team are a fun group....whatever Sutter does should be classic! (He and two other guys showed up at a Christmas party in women's Christmas sweaters that they got at Goodwill!!)

We'll take pictures. I'll even try to learn how to use the video on my camera better by then!!
Just saw in today's paper....
Quote:
Following the game, players will entertain fans while having their jerseys auctioned.
We still get the skits! This is a fun group of young guys....should be a blast!!