Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2024, 04:06 PM   #14821
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

It GMG when disrespectful jerks get their way. I showed up for a 3 PM appointment, there were a few of us with 3 PM appointments there. Most of us were early, then this old boomer comes in 5 minutes late for his, and immediately starts howling about how he has to wait for a bit. Of course he gets called back before any of us who were early and quietly waiting.

Like what's the message there? Be loud and rude and you get what you want? Ridiculous...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 04:14 PM   #14822
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
It GMG when disrespectful jerks get their way. I showed up for a 3 PM appointment, there were a few of us with 3 PM appointments there. Most of us were early, then this old boomer comes in 5 minutes late for his, and immediately starts howling about how he has to wait for a bit. Of course he gets called back before any of us who were early and quietly waiting.

Like what's the message there? Be loud and rude and you get what you want? Ridiculous...
Not a surprise. One of my top five life lessons after 50 years is that being the early guy is a huge net negative to your life. No one but your jr High teacher cares if you are late.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 04:21 PM   #14823
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Not a surprise. One of my top five life lessons after 50 years is that being the early guy is a huge net negative to your life. No one but your jr High teacher cares if you are late.
Oh I agree, not accommodating people being early isn't my issue. It's more that they accommodated the late person who immediately started being a loud disrespectful jerk to the staff as soon as he walked in. They just bumped him ahead of us when he did that and he went straight in. He's just going to keep doing it because it clearly works. Bad message to send.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:22 PM   #14824
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
To chime on the WFH angle. I was at Suncor for over a decade and worked downtown Calgary for the majority of that time. I didn't really realize it but the time I spent commuting, walking to the bathroom, going for coffee etc, was so unproductive and costly.

So when we started working from home (covid) it was a game changer for me. No time or money spent on commuting, no random coffee breaks with someone even though I just had a coffee. And then theres the work life balance. Throw a load of laundry in, have the slow cooker going, see my kid go to school and come home from school. It was amazing.

Then ol Rich Krueger came in as CEO, started letting people go, implemented a hybrid schedule (minimum 3 days a week in the office) and just right back to that old school business model. As soon as he announced the hybrid, I knew it was a matter of time before it was just 100% back to the office. I also knew that was no longer for me.

So while my co-workers and even my boss silently complained, actively did less work, and just generally accepted their misery; I decided it was time to look elsewhere.

Took a little while but got a job outside of O&G that is 90% WFH, and 10% travel to various site locations. Felt like winning the lottery. I've had more than a few Suncor colleagues reach out asking if my current company is hiring etc.

I know WFH may not be for everyone, but I didn't even know that was a thing until covid, and now I just cant see me ever going back to an office setting.

Point is, once you know what works for you just do that. You dont owe any company or employer anything, they have no loyalty to you whatsoever, you are employee # 498626 and thats it.

Now if you're self-employed, thats a different ball game I'm sure.
Again, on the WFH, I still think people need to take a wee step back about extolling it's unlimited virtues.

Its a more nuanced issue than that.

Look at the demographics of this board.

Largely:

- Experienced
- Educated
- Homeowners
- With families

What if you're the 23 year old kid that just graduates? You never see your co-workers in person, never hit the pub?

You don't own your own home and you've got an apartment with unruly roommates who come home at all hours.

For the middle-aged, experienced worker with his own home and family, sure WFH seems like a god-send.

But it isnt for everyone.

That person has their own office, their own home, gets to see their children off-to and home-from school. Its a wonderous experience!

But at one point we make a great deal of our social connections through work? Whats going to be the knock-on effect of removing that?

I'm not saying WFH is bad, not at all, I'm just saying that lets not Canonize it's Sainthood until the real dirt has shaken out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 04:24 PM   #14825
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Oh I agree, not accommodating people being early isn't my issue. It's more that they accommodated the late person who immediately started being a loud disrespectful jerk to the staff as soon as he walked in. They just bumped him ahead of us when he did that and he went straight in. He's just going to keep doing it because it clearly works. Bad message to send.
I know exactly what you mean. I would have done things different. I’d stare at my phone and loudly but discreetly say ‘diculous. Coughunt loudly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 04:30 PM   #14826
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. I would have done things different. I’d stare at my phone and loudly but discreetly say ‘diculous. Coughunt loudly.
My wife has caught on that I do this. At the airport, late family trying to push through. I’ll coughunt loudly. I’m staring at my phone. She now knows and says don’t.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:59 PM   #14827
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i know it's the gear grinder thread, but after reading thru the last bunch of posts i'm so thankful i've been self-employed for the last 25 years!
I think I probably speak for most of the corporate slugs when I, respectfully and with all the love in the world, tell you to go #### your hat, which you probably put the logo on.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:03 PM   #14828
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
My wife has caught on that I do this. At the airport, late family trying to push through. I’ll coughunt loudly. I’m staring at my phone. She now knows and says don’t.
All I can get out of this is coug(ar) hunt, which is odd to do with your wife. Maybe you mean you hope to C that person on Tuesday with a cough in between to sort of cover it up?
Old 04-26-2024, 05:15 PM   #14829
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Definitely the c word. It’s the best word. Fotze is the German word for a C.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:11 PM   #14830
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Again, on the WFH, I still think people need to take a wee step back about extolling it's unlimited virtues.

Its a more nuanced issue than that.

Look at the demographics of this board.

Largely:

- Experienced
- Educated
- Homeowners
- With families

What if you're the 23 year old kid that just graduates? You never see your co-workers in person, never hit the pub?

You don't own your own home and you've got an apartment with unruly roommates who come home at all hours.

For the middle-aged, experienced worker with his own home and family, sure WFH seems like a god-send.

But it isnt for everyone.

That person has their own office, their own home, gets to see their children off-to and home-from school. Its a wonderous experience!

But at one point we make a great deal of our social connections through work? Whats going to be the knock-on effect of removing that?

I'm not saying WFH is bad, not at all, I'm just saying that lets not Canonize it's Sainthood until the real dirt has shaken out.
“The real dirt”? You act like this is a new concept in any way but the fact that it being adopted more widely is new. Whether you’re talking about fully remote teams or giant (international) companies where you may rarely see someone you work with or depend on for something, this concept of not being able to walk over and have a pointless conversation with someone is not new and pretty easy to figure out.

Plus I’m pretty sure 8sPOT said things like “I know WFH may not be for everyone” and “Point is, once you know what works for you just do that” and “Now if you're self-employed, thats a different ball game I'm sure” - hardly canonizing it’s sainthood.

If we’re going to acknowledge the board demographics before we praise WFH, we should probably do the same before we criticize it. How many 23 year olds want to go grab a beer with a 45 year old dad with kids who is scared of his boss? How many of them want to come to the office just so he can talk about the latest season of survivor while they’re trying to get something done?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 06:12 PM   #14831
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually heard someone say "You Got This!" in person this week. Thought that #### was only in unfunny commercials. That's some corny white people who love sitcoms garbage.

I almost vomited.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM   #14832
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Safety Committee sent out an email and greeting addressed us all as "Safety Champions."
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote