Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #21
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If you buy it used from a store, then the store gets all of your money (while the seller gets much less).

Also, with how many games are tying themselves to your accounts now, you can't sell them.
can you explain? I've bought many used games and have never heard of this.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #22
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
can you explain? I've bought many used games and have never heard of this.
It's a new trend publishers are trying to start where your games get tied to your Xbox Live, PS3, EA Online, etc. etc. accounts. I wouldn't worry about it too much on console yet but it's more prevalent on PC at the moment and it will increase on consoles in the future.

This is because they've all basically come out and said they want to kill the secondary game sales market because they make no money on used games and want everybody to just buy new games.

Think of it how PSN games are tied to your account and can't be resold. There are efforts to get disc games tied to accounts also.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not so much "tying" the game to an account, but adding in additional content for those who purchase it first hand.

Mass Effect 2 was a prime example; you bought the game new, and you got access to the Cerebus Network, free of charge. If you were to buy the game second hand, you would have to pay the $10 or $15 charge that was required to access the Cerebus Network, for those that didn't have the initial activation code.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #24
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
It's not so much "tying" the game to an account, but adding in additional content for those who purchase it first hand.

Mass Effect 2 was a prime example; you bought the game new, and you got access to the Cerebus Network, free of charge. If you were to buy the game second hand, you would have to pay the $10 or $15 charge that was required to access the Cerebus Network, for those that didn't have the initial activation code.
Yes, that's another way they are doing it. The first purchasers get a code that unlocks things that are tied to their account.

The secondary market purchases then have to pay to get those things.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #25
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

^^ at least that way wouldn't impact the re-sellers in a way that might see them retaliate (not carry a type of game or system).
Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #26
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks great

I know some people got tired of the WWII games and such and like the new ones, I hope they don't abandon the COD WWII games though

at least 1 every couple of years would be nice
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #27
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
looks great

I know some people got tired of the WWII games and such and like the new ones, I hope they don't abandon the COD WWII games though

at least 1 every couple of years would be nice
I don't know, there have been too many, plus all the other WWII games from all the other game companies as well...and all the movies and TV series. It's just so oversaturated and you know that nobody will have the balls to really do something different like do a WWII game from the perspective of a Japanese or German soldier properly...or even a French resistance fighter who gets put into a POW/death camp. COD was always best at putting you in the shoes of people who went through horrific things in war. How about put you in the first person shoes of a Japanese pilot getting trained and indoctrinated and cultimating in a kamikaze attack?

Or just do WWI for once, or a Boer War, or the Napoleonic Wars, etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #28
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, there have been too many, plus all the other WWII games from all the other game companies as well...and all the movies and TV series. It's just so oversaturated and you know that nobody will have the balls to really do something different like do a WWII game from the perspective of a Japanese or German soldier properly...or even a French resistance fighter who gets put into a POW/death camp. COD was always best at putting you in the shoes of people who went through horrific things in war. How about put you in the first person shoes of a Japanese pilot getting trained and indoctrinated and cultimating in a kamikaze attack?

Or just do WWI for once, or a Boer War, or the Napoleonic Wars, etc.
Just so I'm clear ... You are arguing that the thing keeping back a game where you play as a nazi killing allies is over-saturation of the genre? Games have come a long way in the past few years, but that's reaching.

I think the market will naturally sort itself out. Once games that aren't titled COD start to fail they'll move on to bigger and better things.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Just so I'm clear ... You are arguing that the thing keeping back a game where you play as a nazi killing allies is over-saturation of the genre? Games have come a long way in the past few years, but that's reaching.

I think the market will naturally sort itself out. Once games that aren't titled COD start to fail they'll move on to bigger and better things.
I don't think that it is overreaching to say that Nazis are overdone. Nazis are the most overdone thing in all reaches of entertainment from movies to games which will invariably feature as part of their plots Nazis or Zombies or sometimes, even Nazi Zombies (Wolfenstein, Uncharted, etc...)

WWII is completely oversaturated in movies, film, videogames and even speaking only of the COD games, I guess as a console player you never played the original Medal of Honor Games and then the COD games (Infinity Ward started from developers splitting off from the Medal of Honor team) that started almost 10 years ago.

WWII Games from the Same Family

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
Medal of Honor: Airborne - AWESOME
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor: Underground
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun
Medal of Honor: European Assault
Medal of Honor: Vanguard
Medal of Honor: Infiltrator
Medal of Honor: Heroes
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2

Call of Duty - AWESOME
Call of Duty: United Offensive - AWESOME
Call of Duty 2 - AWESOME
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Finest Hour
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
Call of Duty: Roads to Victory
Call of Duty: World at War: Final Fronts
Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies

And that's only two game series! If there was one way to do a search of the percentage of war games that were based on WWII, I think it would be an overwhelming amount and the majority of all those games have to do with killing Nazis with a few of them offering glimpses into the Pacific War.

There needs to be something different, if they aren't going to touch WWI, then at least offer more glimpses into the different facets of WWII. Why are there so few Italian campaigns? (There was was in COD2 I think). COD's strength is putting you via first person into interesting situations. The most interesting WWII gaming experiences I've had were in Call of Duty: United Offensive and Call of Duty 2 where they put you into more interesting situations as being inside a bomber as it flies over enemy territory and you are scrambling between the gun turrets trying to hold off the Luftwaffe. Totally different from the normal gameplay as you frantically try to survive as your plane is getting shot up and you are climbing around inside of it.

The other interesting experience was playing Darkest of Days where I actually got put into a concentration camp (obstensibly Auschwitz by the architecture). Things like this, where a game can cause you to relive history and feel a tinge of the brutal impact of things is really what is important.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-03-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #30
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I still play Wolfenstein Enemy Territory daily.

Best WW2 multiplayer game ever.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #31
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
COD has been going downhill for a while. The story for MW2 was horribly written, not paced well, and had one of the worst levels I've played in a FPS (Brazil = baaaaaaaaaaad).

I'm not big on the multi player either, it's really unrealistic, and encourages camping over team based tactics. Counter Strike still is the benchmark for online shooters IMO.
Nah, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is better.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #32
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Nah, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is better.
RTCW is a great game too! Do you happen to know if there still is an online community for it?

The thing that impresses me about CS is that between Source and 1.6, the peak today saw roughly 150,000 users playing (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/). That's an insane statistic for a game that old.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #33
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
RTCW is a great game too! Do you happen to know if there still is an online community for it?

The thing that impresses me about CS is that between Source and 1.6, the peak today saw roughly 150,000 users playing (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/). That's an insane statistic for a game that old.
I played the xbox version and as an xbox original game, it no longer has online. I don't know about the PC community, you could probably find 1 or 2 games.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #34
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some of my best gaming memories are from waking up early before school and playing games of Quake II jailbreak and Unreal Tournament. Those have been just as fun as the original Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, and the old Battlefield games were.
LOL those were fun times. Such good memories. I really miss those glory days.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #35
RockOnRoberts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I also wouldn't mind seeing a WW1 video game.
I'm not sure how much people would like jumping out of a trench and getting shot by a machine gun or dying of disease in the trench . Not much in terms of entertainment value in regards to the First World War IMO.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #36
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOnRoberts View Post
I'm not sure how much people would like jumping out of a trench and getting shot by a machine gun or dying of disease in the trench . Not much in terms of entertainment value in regards to the First World War IMO.
My only thinking for a WWI game would be as an RTS. A FPS WW1 game, like you said would have terrible entertainment value. An RTS WW1 game could be the only thing that would work IMO. Like "Toy Soldiers" on the 360 arcade (maybe PSN too?).
Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #37
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I guess the games I want might have terrible entertainment value to the "I just want to shoot stuff crowd".

I want to live through history in first person through games and simulations, I could care less about shooting everything with a German accent.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #38
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I guess the games I want might have terrible entertainment value to the "I just want to shoot stuff crowd".

I want to live through history in first person through games and simulations, I could care less about shooting everything with a German accent.
That is why I suggested an RTS game, I just couldn't see a FPS with WW1 as its setting. WW1 was pure trench warfare, all soldiers did was chill in their respective trench and moved from trench to trench. Things didn't start picking up until the 1917's and above when chemical warfare was brought into the mix, and that was worse than trench warfare as it caused all the disease.

No offense but I don't see how sitting on the couch playing a game where all you do is chill in a trench getting sick for hours upon hours until you're called upon only to die, is very fun. Thus the RTS suggestion, as trench warfare was tactical (like an RTS game).

I have been pondering a game concept of a WW2 game that is unlike everything else ever made, but I don't know how to pitch it to a game studio.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #39
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOnRoberts View Post
Doesn't have to be trench warfare.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #40
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another teaser promoting an upcoming trailer during the NBA playoffs on May 18.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nb...call-of/100221
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black ops , call of duty , treyarch