Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #181
The Coppernian One
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Ralph Kruger added to coaching staff according to the presser.

Patronage and guilt appointment from the Hockey Canada coat-tail rider Lowe.
You're aware the Krueger actually comes with international credentials right? The guy has been a head coach in three Olypmic games as well as World Championships. The Swiss always seem to give Canada trouble at the Olympics so bringing him in to scout other teams and advise on how teams will be playing us seems like a good move.
The Coppernian One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #182
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Iginla's skating is not good enough for the large ice surface. Even if he's a point per game player and averages 0.5 goals per game he's not going. Babcock says they are looking for good skaters. Iginla obviously doesn't fit that description.
Skating, positional play, consistent effort level, defensive zone coverage, ability to out muscle players. These are all question marks on Iginla at this stage in his career. He's a shadow of the player he used to be. And based on how he starts most full seasons lately he's unlikely to put himself in the picture. Was it 2 or 3 years ago that he was basically the worst Flame player in October?

I like Iginla but if you base your opinion of him on the last few seasons he is not one the premiere Canadian players anymore.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #183
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Milan Lucic, joe thorton, Andrew Ladd, and Jordan eberle are around the same speed as iginla or slower and they all got invites. And anyone that watched the playoffs and payed attention this year could tell you that iginla played great all through the playoffs. If you go back and watch all of pittsburghs playoff games you'll see iginla doing everything right in both ends of the ice... Malkin was being a puck hog and couldn't win a face off to save his life against Boston. It was so frustrating how many times iginla was in the right spot at the right time ready to shoot and malkin just looked him off and tried to dangle through 3 guys.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #184
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Milan Lucic, joe thorton, Andrew Ladd, and Jordan eberle are around the same speed as iginla or slower and they all got invites. And anyone that watched the playoffs and payed attention this year could tell you that iginla played great all through the playoffs. If you go back and watch all of pittsburghs playoff games you'll see iginla doing everything right in both ends of the ice... Malkin was being a puck hog and couldn't win a face off to save his life against Boston. It was so frustrating how many times iginla was in the right spot at the right time ready to shoot and malkin just looked him off and tried to dangle through 3 guys.
Jordan Eberle slower than Jarome Iginla? Iggy had an outstanding playoffs? Man, Iggy is my favorite player of all time, but you are blind. With the bigger ice surface coming into play iggy should not be on this team.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #185
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouwmeester is getting quite a bit of love from TSN.

Hard to imagine that this is the same guy that was trashed on TSN and by Flames fans for 3 years.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #186
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Iginla's skating is not good enough for the large ice surface. Even if he's a point per game player and averages 0.5 goals per game he's not going. Babcock says they are looking for good skaters. Iginla obviously doesn't fit that description.
Forget the skating, Iginla's puck management in recent years has been pretty weak. He used to be impossible to get the puck from, today Olympic calibre defenceman would have a field day with him. Taylor Hall probably skates as well as anyone who could go to Sochi....his puck management is what could keep him from making the trip or having to sit in the press box. On that larger ice surface puck management to me is really important, because theres a lot of extra area to have to chase after the puck once you lose it.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #187
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

Hard to imagine that this is the same guy that was trashed on TSN and by Flames fans for 3 years.
You do realize the coaching staff wants 3 LD who actual play in their natural position, maybe 4. Bouwmeester more then likely has a good chance of making the team. He has excelled for Canada playing on the larger ice surfaces. I already know I can hear the groans.

Here was the line combos from the first session today of ball hockey:
Couture-Tavares-Stamkos
Eric Staal- Toews-Nash
St. Louis-Richard-Carter
Ladd-Getzlaf-Perry

Marc Staal- Doughty
Hamhuis-Subban
Phaneuf-Seabrook
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo-Hamonic (trio)

Luongo
Holtby
Smith.

Second session:
Kunitz-Crosby-Sharp
Marchand-Bergeron-Eberle
Lucic-Duchene-Neal
Hall-Jordan Staal-U of C player filling in ( That would be Joe Thornton who is missing, never showed up for personal reasons)

Keith-Weber
Vlasic-Boyle
Methot-Letang
Alzner-Green

Price
Crawford

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #188
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

Now that he's no longer a Flame, yeah TSN thinks he's pretty good.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #189
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Babcock inferred in his scrum after practice that they basically put the line combinations together at random to troll the Internet.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman

Last edited by Freeway; 08-27-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #190
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bottom line is this:

If Iginla has a strong start to the season, he has a shot at making the squad. He will have to be near the league leaders. He will also have to show great chemistry with Bergeron or Lucic, or both.

If Iginla has a slow start, his chances go to zero.

I will find it interesting to watch a highly motivated Iginla again.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #191
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it highly unlikely that Iggy makes the team, but I would hope that anyone who lights it up early in the season (Spezza, Marleau, hell, Comeau) should have at least a shot.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #192
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

They unvield the new Team USA jerseys today. Blagh!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 08-27-2013 at 09:45 AM.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #193
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
They unvield the new Team USA jerseys today. Blagh!

Looks like something that would make sense for the Women's team but not the Men's.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #194
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like something that would make sense for the Women's team but not the Men's.

Why?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #195
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think they are terrible, no matter who would wear them. But agree with the other poster, why for women?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #196
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well if they are using these as test linups for the turniment, my guess would be there penciled in roster right now is something like this. The guys in bold I think should have a spot to loss, I think the other lines don't have one of those guys.

Kunitz-Crosby-Sharp
Couture-Tavares-Stamkos
EStaal-Toews-Nash
Ladd-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron
Keith-Weber
MStaal-Doughty
Bouwmeest-Poetrangelo
Subban
Price
Luongo
Crawford
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #197
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Second session:
Kunitz-Crosby-Sharp
Marchand-Bergeron-Eberle
Lucic-Duchene-Neal
Hall-Jordan Staal-U of C player filling in ( That would be Joe Thornton who is missing, never showed up for personal reasons)

Keith-Weber
Vlasic-Boyle
Methot-Letang
Alzner-Green

Price
Crawford
Sounds like a dream!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #198
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Why?
Because it looks girly with the shiny little stars on it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #199
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

My main argument for Iginla to be in the picture is I think they need at least 1-2 old guys that have been through the good (Vancouver) and the bad (Turin).

Iggy, St Louis, Nash and Thornton (Boyle and Staal were alternates...not sure if they got in?)

St Louis did not play in 2010, but assuming he plays as well as last year, he is the obvious guy for that role. Should he be injured/playing poorly, perhaps it's a different story? Given the number of RH d-man, I don't imagine Boyle getting there.

Also, don't you dress 13 forwards and 7 defensemen in international play?

I'd probably prefer Iggy or Thornton as a 13th man over Carter, Richards, Sharp, Lucic, or one of the greasers in that roll. I'd take Iggy over Thornton based on fitness and true winger vs. the 12th centre on the team.

I think he would have the best chance of making a real impact if things are tough and they need to insert someone new to play on a top line.

This is all assuming he is on a 30 goal 70 point pace...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #200
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
My main argument for Iginla to be in the picture is I think they need at least 1-2 old guys that have been through the good (Vancouver) and the bad (Turin).

Iggy, St Louis, Nash and Thornton (Boyle and Staal were alternates...not sure if they got in?)

St Louis did not play in 2010, but assuming he plays as well as last year, he is the obvious guy for that role. Should he be injured/playing poorly, perhaps it's a different story? Given the number of RH d-man, I don't imagine Boyle getting there.

Also, don't you dress 13 forwards and 7 defensemen in international play?

I'd probably prefer Iggy or Thornton as a 13th man over Carter, Richards, Sharp, Lucic, or one of the greasers in that roll. I'd take Iggy over Thornton based on fitness and true winger vs. the 12th centre on the team.

I think he would have the best chance of making a real impact if things are tough and they need to insert someone new to play on a top line.

This is all assuming he is on a 30 goal 70 point pace...
I don't disagree with the sentiment of 1 or 2 experienced guys, but I think we have enough older guys and the braintrust seems to understand how badly Turin went. To be honest, I am hoping for several of the younger "longshots" to make it. I really hope Duchesne and Couture have seasons similar to what Iggy did prior to Salt Lake in order to force Hockey Canada's hand. (I'd even be ok if it was Hall, if it meant Canada had a better showing in Sochi)
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post: