Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #1361
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't believe that we'll ever see that, He's the guy that really first bought the attention of human's to the Borg.

I mean we saw the Borg during Enterprise but they were linked to the Borg in First Contact.

I just don't see a purpose to him appearing in the Discovery Era. He's more of a Next Generation era.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #1362
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the tilly character more than less, but in what world would an ensign get promoted to first officer and remain an ensign?

Her qualifications shouldn’t be “most developed other character”.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #1363
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I like the tilly character more than less, but in what world would an ensign get promoted to first officer and remain an ensign?

Am I a bad person for also noticing that the jump 900 years in the future seemed to pack on 30 lbs for her?
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #1364
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I'm hot and cold on her to be honest, I know her character is to be the poorly adjusted nerd with poor people skills, so in what world on a 300 person ship is there not a better person to take that role. They have that no name blond officer that walks around on the bridge and sits in the Captains chair. What about her? Oh yeah, we don't know her name and she's a piece of furniture with a pony tail.

You would expect that the first officer would be someone that can take up the Captain's mantle when he gets blown up during a battle. A first officer needs to understand every aspect of the ship, and understand how to make command and fight the ship if need be. Also a good Executive offer has to offer counter points to the Captain, and be able to argue them professionally while preserving the chain of command during disagreements. I would be a crew member and be thinking, she's the Captain if the Captain goes down, God help us.

I expect that at some point in the season, we're going to get Saru injured during a battle and Tilley will have to take over and that will be her character discovery moment.

Old 12-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #1365
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

She is Wesley 2.0
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #1366
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm hot and cold on her to be honest, I know her character is to be the poorly adjusted nerd with poor people skills, so in what world on a 300 person ship is there not a better person to take that role. They have that no name blond officer that walks around on the bridge and sits in the Captains chair. What about her? Oh yeah, we don't know her name and she's a piece of furniture with a pony tail.
Tilly the co-op student getting the XO promotion is but the latest in a line of headscratchers from the writers. That episode with the Vulcan tribunal had a small contingent of presumably high ranking Starfleet crew. Pretty sure Ensign Ricky doesn't make the cut to attend so it's probably Lt. Commanders and up. As such pretty much anyone Starfleet attending that tribunal probably had the rank and experience to be XO.

All this on the fleet's only spore drive ship, a strategically critical ship. It's like Lower Decks, except they've put the lower decks in charge.

"Sanctuary" also fell flat for me. Again, the resolution of the sea locusts by one line of brilliance from MB seemed paper thin. The Brothers battle wasn't really spelled out either. Fantastic visuals, but as usual a rushed storyline left a lot to be desired.

Mark my words, "The Burn" - a problem that was 100 years old - will be solved in 1, maybe two episodes...

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 12-06-2020 at 07:53 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #1367
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly I like the story line of the Burn, the pretty much end of the federation, and almost like a descent of the galaxy into the equivalency of the Dark ages.

With Dilithium becoming increasingly rare we're seeing the possible end of the era of exploration in space and the end of warp travel.

Its a very cool idea to me, We saw in DS-9 at times that there were cracks in the Federation, that at times was willing to sell out their ideals for security. Now we're seeing a almost ineffective Federation living in denial that they can ascend again to relevancy.

I'm intrigued by the discovery of the cause of the Burn, but at the same time, I don't know if I trust the writers in terms of carrying it out, just based on the really awful first season, and a intriguing second season that couldn't carry it through to the end.

Look, I love Star Trek, well Voyager I didn't like, I want success for the franchise, I'm hoping they carry it off. But yeah the last couple of episodes to me have been a dip compared to the first few episodes.

I will say that compared to TOS, TNG and DS9, that this crew of actors still isn't amazingly strong. I still think that character development outside of Michael and Saru is not great. I mean in DS9 you learned about the secondary characters, and they spent time developing them, same in TNG. In this one outside of the main few characters the rest are furniture and when they do try to do something with them it feels poorly executed or they forget about it.

I keep talking about Detmer, because they could have had a really interesting storyline with her. Michael's actions caused her injuries and disfigurement, but instead of exploring that she basically forgave her in two seconds and then sat in a chair until recently where she had either PTSD or something else, and they've seemed to drop that one in a hurry.

The Burn is a story line that could be really memorable and shift the narrative of the ST Universe if they do it right.

Also because they're working so hard to develop Book, I'm assuming that he's going to die so they can angst up Burnham.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:51 PM   #1368
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Detmer and Riker vs Poe and Wedge, who ya got...

everyone they meet keeps hinting quite strongly that the late era Federation turned into some sort of sucky conglomerate that nobody wanted to be part of anymore. whoever kicked off the burn may have wanted to uh...burn it all down and start it over again.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #1369
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We've got a federation distress signal coming from the nebula where the burn originated. What if in a moment of senility Picard hit the wrong button and doomed the Federation?

Old 12-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #1370
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

they lied to Picard about the time limit on his android body and now he's forced to live a terrible immortal existence as a synthetic decrepit senior citizen. driven mad by the centuries, he finally decided to take revenge on the galaxy once and for all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #1371
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I keep talking about Detmer, because they could have had a really interesting storyline with her. Michael's actions caused her injuries and disfigurement, but instead of exploring that she basically forgave her in two seconds and then sat in a chair until recently where she had either PTSD or something else, and they've seemed to drop that one in a hurry.

This line is representative of Disco as a whole for me.
I actually forgot the Michael caused her injuries because it was a one and done. I barely remember the character's name is Detmer.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #1372
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Even Geordi was able to get off the visor using technical advancements within his lifetime. 32nd century medical tech isn’t enough to let Detmer stop having to rock the Salt n Peppa haircut?
Old 12-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #1373
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoilers

Spoiler!

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #1374
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoilers

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2020, 04:59 AM   #1375
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Spoilers
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #1376
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't find a way to care about these characters, or the mirror universe story, at all. And this is a double header.

They warped 1000 years into the future, and instead of discovering all sorts of new ####, or seeing what the ol' Klingons are up to, we get 2 episodes dedicated to this nonsense mirror universe, where everyone is the same, but evil. So edgy! Can we move on now? Just leave Georgiou behind. She won't be missed.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 11:02 PM   #1377
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it was the Guardian of Forver. And the whole revisiting the mirror universe was set up Georgiou with her new show. Over/under on when she ends up?

Gotta say she's got a huge advantage no matter when she does. She's read through the entire Federation history up to that 3000s. My guess she'll end up some time post Picard but pre-2600s. Not a prequel series so the writers won't be boxed in like Disco S1/S2, not running during any other ST series so won't have to worry about any other show continuity.

Last edited by FlameOn; 12-18-2020 at 07:35 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:25 PM   #1378
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well (spoilers for those that want to read my thoughts on it)

Spoiler!

Old 12-19-2020, 07:03 AM   #1379
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only positives out of that mess were we hopefully never have to see Georgiou or the mirror universe ever again. Though I'm sure she'll show up again at some heroic time when she is needed most. That, or they'll make her the cause of the burn, though I assume their going to find a way to make Burnham responsible for that, too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #1380
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always hated the mirror universe. It is like the holodeck safeguards are broken episodes; an excuse to get the same actors to play other characters. The episodes have no consequences.

The call back to my favorite TOS episode was great though.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post: