Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #421
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

When I think of terrible Trek that episode and the one where Yar f's data just stand out.

Least sexy most awkward seduction scene ever.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #422
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its hard to judge, it seems that this is basically a 2 hour prequel to set up the series going forward

it seems well made and these 2 episodes were good, but wont be able to really judge till next week

Crave is cheap so Ive always just kept it for random old Seinfeld or Comedy Central shows, but finally coming through showing something from a US streaming network is nice to get the value up
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #423
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watch Crave almost as much as Netflix. The HBO back catalog, South Park, Monty Python, Handmaid's Tale, Outlander, Seinfeld, Cheers, Review, loads of standup - enough content to warrant $8 a month.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #424
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Can you watch on the Space Go app, without paying?
Only if you have a cable subscription that includes the space channel.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #425
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I hope they chill with the Klingon in the future though. When your actors basically have to break it into three word chunks with pauses in between, it's really not adding a whole lot in the way of authenticity or flow. Only the albino Klingon could really deliver even close to what actual dialogue sounds like.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #426
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I watch Crave almost as much as Netflix. The HBO back catalog, South Park, Monty Python, Handmaid's Tale, Outlander, Seinfeld, Cheers, Review, loads of standup - enough content to warrant $8 a month.
ya the HBO thing would be enough, but TELUS at least bundles Crave with HBO Canada and TMN and that gives most of the HBO back catalog

I forgot about Handmaids Tale, that was worth it, been meaning to start Outlander
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #427
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One of the things that I've read about was these were the two episodes that Fuller was involved in and that there's a distinct change in tone expected for the next few epsiodes.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #428
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the whole thing was a stinky pile of hot garbage. It completely lost me when she nerve pinched the captain then tried to fool the bridge officers into firing. The arguing between Michael and the really tall alien was childish and not funny, and then to cap it all off they do the least "Starfleet" thing I've seen yet by desecrating the body of a fallen Klingon to stuff a torpedo up his ass. Just, brutal.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #429
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I thought the whole thing was a stinky pile of hot garbage. It completely lost me when she nerve pinched the captain then tried to fool the bridge officers into firing. The arguing between Michael and the really tall alien was childish and not funny, and then to cap it all off they do the least "Starfleet" thing I've seen yet by desecrating the body of a fallen Klingon to stuff a torpedo up his ass. Just, brutal.
that last part, the fight is over, the Klingon's are recovering their dead and two things crossed my mind.

first of all, yeah the putting the bomb into the body, that's pretty much a war crime. The Klingon's had pretty much also declared a cease fire.

The second thing, and it drives me bonkers, once again the Captain and First Officer both beam over to the enemy ship thus pretty much decapitating the command crew of the ship.

also I love that they had a crew member that looks like he's Android auto compatible.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #430
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
that last part, the fight is over, the Klingon's are recovering their dead and two things crossed my mind.

first of all, yeah the putting the bomb into the body, that's pretty much a war crime. The Klingon's had pretty much also declared a cease fire.

The second thing, and it drives me bonkers, once again the Captain and First Officer both beam over to the enemy ship thus pretty much decapitating the command crew of the ship.

also I love that they had a crew member that looks like he's Android auto compatible.
Oh hey, you just nerve pinched me and tried to circumvent my command, but now you've somehow escaped from jail ((and don't get me started on having to argue ethics with a computer in the middle of a crisis, especially when the conclusion they reach is it is somehow ethically permissible to vent her unprotected into space (minus 250 degrees) rather than use the freaking transporter)) lets be all buddy buddy and go on a suicide mission that has little to no chance of success rather than look after my ship and crew!

BROOOOTAL!!! So, failing, and BROOOOTAL!!!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #431
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Like I said earlier that whole mutiny was poorly done. First she nerve pinches the captain and then doesn't tie her up or whatever.

Then she goes on the bridge and basically says, Lock weapons on the Klingon's. The Captains like on the phone but I want us to be ready in case the captain decides to shoot, oh and Fire.

It was just really poorly executed as a scene. Plus when the Captain came on the bridge, she wouldn't be arguing with her first officer, She'd basically either subdue the mutineer, shoot her or immediately have the master at arm take her off the bridge. There wouldn't be a whole "Please Captain I'm doing this for you" argument because the Captain wouldn't care, her own primary role is gaining back control of the bridge and getting updated on the tactical situation.

Overall, I didn't mind it as a whole, I was prepared for something really horrible so it surprised me.

But there was some just really bad writing and dialogue, and the Klingons made me think, hey guys in masks which isn't what they should be going for.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #432
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
One of the things that I've read about was these were the two episodes that Fuller was involved in and that there's a distinct change in tone expected for the next few epsiodes.
Yeah watching the preview for the rest of the season, it looks quite different.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #433
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I really, really liked it. There were some out-of-character moments for Starfleet officers but I’m willing to let those slide. It was fun and exciting. The characters have some complexity to them. It’s going to be a short season but packed. Looking forward to this.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #434
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I really, really liked it. There were some out-of-character moments for Starfleet officers but I’m willing to let those slide. It was fun and exciting. The characters have some complexity to them. It’s going to be a short season but packed. Looking forward to this.
The season is two parts but only takes a month long break for December. It’s 15 episodes total.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #435
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The season is two parts but only takes a month long break for December. It’s 15 episodes total.

I meant short by Star Trek standards.

Hopefully the “filler” episodes explore the crew more than introducing too many new characters. Aside from the characters we already know are coming.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #436
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As a sci-fi show it was okay but whatever that was, not Star Trek. I can forgive cringe dialog and stilted acting especially in a pilot but the rest, just no. The Klingon design is horrendous especially in close ups it becomes painfully obvious how much makeup is being used.

And why is the computer offering up expository dialog, come on.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #437
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The back to back pilot was pretty enjoyable. The visuals were just a hair under movie quality for most CGI driven blockbusters today, which was neat to see in a star trek show, considering what we came from prior.

That said I'm skeptical of Sasha as the protagonist. She acted well, and her emotions come across as pretty authentic but her character isn't all that likable (I mean a human raised by vulcans with a rather large ego). I think she'd make better secondary/supporting character. I also liked the ship set up and looks like we're already abandoning that for a very different kind of ST show. So there's a lot to be determined as to how well it'll all work. Interesting set up though for sure. Felt like I was watching something in the new ST movie universe, which was cool.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #438
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm echoing a lot of other comments on here I think.

It was decent. I hope it gets better.

The mutiny scene was completely ridiculous. The entire series should have ended with the Captain shooting the mutinous First Officer in the back with her phaser.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #439
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's also probably best to not dissect the episode too much. Quite a few holes and leaps from here to there. They had to cram a lot in though (they got a bit ambitious I think) and that makes it hard for characters to believably go from a to b sometimes, so I can let it go for now. Hoping some smaller storylines in the future allow for more believable plot progression.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #440
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, they're going to do that a lot. You're just going to have to let that slide.

The Klingons were annoying as hell. It was like trying to listen to someone talk while gargling golf balls and I dont want to read the dialogue every time the Klingons are talking.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: