Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #61
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

So for mirrorless, the consensus seems to be the a6000 then?
I'm about 90% set on the Sony a6000 myself for some upcoming travel, but I'm wondering how you guys are finding the lens selection? Anyone here using an lens adapter with their Canon glass?

Specifically the biggest thing I'd be looking for is a fairly wide angle lens. I've got a Canon 10-18 that I've been loving on my DSRL, so I'm looking to get somewhere in the 10-14mm range... or ideally just slap my Canon 10-18mm onto an adapter and deal with the manual focus.

But it also looks like this Wide Angle conversion Lens on the 16mm pancake lens offers a more native solution with proper aperture/AF control.

TL;dr: Anyone have a workable wide angle solution with their Sony A6000?
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #62
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought the a6000 with the stock 16-50 lens and the 55-210 zoom. It's on sale at futureshop as a bundle for $899.

If you go to the camera store, they'll match it, give way better service, and no extended warranty BS sales pitch.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #63
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
So for mirrorless, the consensus seems to be the a6000 then?
I'm about 90% set on the Sony a6000 myself for some upcoming travel, but I'm wondering how you guys are finding the lens selection? Anyone here using an lens adapter with their Canon glass?

Specifically the biggest thing I'd be looking for is a fairly wide angle lens. I've got a Canon 10-18 that I've been loving on my DSRL, so I'm looking to get somewhere in the 10-14mm range... or ideally just slap my Canon 10-18mm onto an adapter and deal with the manual focus.

But it also looks like this Wide Angle conversion Lens on the 16mm pancake lens offers a more native solution with proper aperture/AF control.

TL;dr: Anyone have a workable wide angle solution with their Sony A6000?
I have a Metabones adapter for my a6000. I'm very happy with it, although autofocus doesn't work with some Canon lenses, and when it does work it's noticeably slower.

Sony has a 10-18mm lens that is excellent. Trey Ratcliff has a review of it.

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/sony-10-18mm-lens-review/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #64
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I bought the a6000 with the stock 16-50 lens and the 55-210 zoom. It's on sale at futureshop as a bundle for $899.

If you go to the camera store, they'll match it, give way better service, and no extended warranty BS sales pitch.
I'm one of those weird guys who has little interest in telephoto zoom lenses. I'm all about the wide angle these days. Having said that I have every intention of purchasing from the Camera Store. Great guys over there.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #65
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I have a Metabones adapter for my a6000. I'm very happy with it, although autofocus doesn't work with some Canon lenses, and when it does work it's noticeably slower.

Sony has a 10-18mm lens that is excellent. Trey Ratcliff has a review of it.

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/sony-10-18mm-lens-review/
Yeah $400 is a bit much of an adapter that "sorta" works. Although I found this one with decent reviews for closer to $80, but they make no real claims of the auto focus working.

As for the Sony 10-18mm, I'm sure it's a great lens... but would pretty well double my budget for a "travel" camera.

Last edited by Regular_John; 10-28-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #66
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah $400 is a bit much of an adapter that "sorta" works. Although I found this one with decent reviews for closer to $80, but they make no real claims of the auto focus working.

As for the Sony 10-18mm, I'm sure it's a great lens... but would pretty double my budget for a "travel" camera.
Are you able to sell the lens or obtain store credit on the base lens to get the 10-18 lens?

Adapters are really not that great. Haven't seen many that aren't sacrificing something of sorts.

Kijiji might be a place to check, or keeping eyes out for open box deals. Some individuals buy a lens, use it a few times and fire sale the thing in anger.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #67
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Are you able to sell the lens or obtain store credit on the base lens to get the 10-18 lens?

Adapters are really not that great. Haven't seen many that aren't sacrificing something of sorts.

Kijiji might be a place to check, or keeping eyes out for open box deals. Some individuals buy a lens, use it a few times and fire sale the thing in anger.
That's not a bad idea at all. In all likely hood I'll buy the a6000, give that cheaper adapter a try. If it's a no go I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals on the Sony 10-18mm.

Unless anyone has another non-Sony path to a mirrorless wide angle solution?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #68
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I already mentioned this on twitter, but the selection of Canon full frame models basically falls into four models listed here.

The 1D/1D C are in the $7,000-$15,000 range... so I imagine those are out of your budget.

Which basically leaves the 6D and 5D models. For what it's worth the 5D has basically been the "gold standard" Canon full frame for a number of years. Most of the pros I know have the 5D... in fact I've never actually come across anyone shooting on the 6D.

But at $1,700 new for the body only the 6D begins to approach mortal prices when compared to the 5D Mark III at $3,200

Having said all that:
If I were looking to make the jump myself I'd be looking for used used 5D Mark II's, they seem to go around $800-$1,100 on ebay and is still considered a very capable full frame DSRL. I'd say 80-90% of the pros I know who shoot full frame Canons are on this body.

That's not to say you'll go wrong with the 6D at all, it's just not a model I have any familiarity with.
Thanks for the great input here (and on twitter). I think I am going to zero in on the 5D Mark II. Good bang for the buck for what I shoot.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #69
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can someone with knowledge assist me? I was just told I should buy and expense a new camera for work. Point and shoot. Minimum 14 megapixels. I'm cheap, so the cheaper the better.

I'm going to be taking photos of construction projects and completed buildings to be put up on our website.

I was told my 8mp iPhone isn't good enough.

I will be taking it on business trips with me, but will always have either my carry-on suitcase or briefcase with me so size isn't a huge concern.
However if I like it enough I would carry it around with me when I do traveling of my own for leisure. So compact and waterproof may be ideal.

Bestbuy has too many options for me and no one super knowledgable. Should I just go somewhere like the camera store and ask there?

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #70
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We bought this for a recent trip in Europe. Highly recommend, especially if you can expense it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_digital.html
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #71
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
We bought this for a recent trip in Europe. Highly recommend, especially if you can expense it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_digital.html
Thanks, expensed or not I would say that is out of my budget. Like I said, I'm cheap, so I'm cheap when it comes to my expense account as well.

I wasn't really given a budget, but that camera seems pretty high end no?

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #72
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its probably on the top end for point and shoots.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #73
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

The RX100 is capable of replicating quite a bit of mirrorless camera and DSLR quality in a point and shoot. If your employer will allow, it truly is highly suggested as the high quality will likely be great for being able to scroll in and out of the pictures at high quality. Nothing is remotely close to fighting the RX100 as a point and shoot at this point. It literally is the best point and shoot by a huge margin.

Depends what you think is cheap.

Next in line would probably be the Canon S100, 110, 120 etc. Mid $200s?

Sony point and shoot cameras are pretty reasonable. The T series point and shoot are unique as well as they sport an internal lens rather than an extending one. $99-$199?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #74
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not a bad idea at all. In all likely hood I'll buy the a6000, give that cheaper adapter a try. If it's a no go I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals on the Sony 10-18mm.

Unless anyone has another non-Sony path to a mirrorless wide angle solution?
My brother grabbed an adapter for a different camera and complained that images were cut off. Make sure you double check something like that as well when trying it out as it might not be blatantly obvious while taking pictures on the camera.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #75
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pulled the trigger on the a6000 tonight,

The Camera Story is currently beating Future Shop/Best Buy's sale by $10 , so the kit is $719.42 before tax, I believe that pricing is in effect till Nov 20th.

Also found a few samples of people using the Canon 10-18mm with an adapter and having good results, so I'm likely to burn a few more dollars on the adapter for true wide angle fun.

Anyways, if anyone's on the fence about this camera, it's currently a good time to pick one up.

Last edited by Regular_John; 11-10-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #76
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone have any experience with the Canon 70D? Finally going to move up from my entry level Sony a390 and I've heard/read nothing but positive things from the mid range 70D from Canon. Would love to hear from anyone here though.

Not in a rush, seen some good deals but will probably wait for boxing day/week to see what's out there.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #77
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pulled the trigger on the a6000 tonight,

The Camera Story is currently beating Future Shop/Best Buy's sale by $10 , so the kit is $719.42 before tax, I believe that pricing is in effect till Nov 20th.

Also found a few samples of people using the Canon 10-18mm with an adapter and having good results, so I'm likely to burn a few more dollars on the adapter for true wide angle fun.

Anyways, if anyone's on the fence about this camera, it's currently a good time to pick one up.
I really like the camera so I'd say you've made a good choice. I've debated getting an adapter to get Canon or Nikon glass, but it adds a lot to the footprint of the camera. The small size is a nice benefit of the a6000 so I'm undecided on diminishing that with the adapter.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #78
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Canon 70D? Finally going to move up from my entry level Sony a390 and I've heard/read nothing but positive things from the mid range 70D from Canon. Would love to hear from anyone here though.
Have it. Love it.

Haven't played around with it a ton yet but I'm impressed thus far.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #79
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I really like the camera so I'd say you've made a good choice. I've debated getting an adapter to get Canon or Nikon glass, but it adds a lot to the footprint of the camera. The small size is a nice benefit of the a6000 so I'm undecided on diminishing that with the adapter.
Yeah I've got Canon glass in my bag already, so I've got some sunk cost there. If I were scrapping everything and starting fresh I'd be looking at native e-mount lenses.

However if weight/size is of concern you might also want to look into adapters for Leica m mount lenses. They've been pushing the small form factor for a while now. But be prepared for sticker shock on pricing, Leica is seldom/never cheap.

Last edited by Regular_John; 11-11-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #80
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: Over now.

Compact Flash 64GB rated 120 MB/s for less than $40.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00I...A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Last edited by chemgear; 11-15-2014 at 06:15 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote