Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the posts and opinions.

I guess a little background on what I like to take pictures of may clear things up a little bit.

I'm a big Scenery and Landscape fan. I'd like to finally own something that takes great night pictures and has a good clean deep ISO range.

I should clarify I've not heard one camera salesman speak once about any of the cameras. I've done the research my self through extensive comparisons online. I've tried finding picture and video
Samples of the type if pictures I like to take and basing my judgments on such. Even tried to find just the shots with the stock lenses.

What it boiled down to and how I came to choose the Samsung and the Sony was the mid range ISO's for night shots. The Sony is great in the higher range and there's not even a comparison in the 10k+ range. The Samsung though is on par from what I've seen in the 100- 6000 range for night shots.

As for Olympus and Fuji, I admit I haven't dove into too much of their products during my research. Maybe I will in the next few days but I do know their bodies are a fair bit smaller than the two I am looking at. At least from what I've seen when I went to get some hands on experience with the two I mentioned. I made mention of my big hands before so in that aspect I'd like something a tad bigger with a great grip.

As far as lenses go, some recommendations for landscapes would be appreciated. Trying to read through the online reviews on the lenses alone is a monumental task as there is a ton of bias. Keep in mind price is a factor. I'd love to grab one of the Zeiss lenses if I bought the Sony but they're with more than the camera.

Future shop has a deal on right now saving $150 in any lense purchase when you buy a camera so I'm thinking of making the purchase there.

So on top of the kit lense would I be better off with a telephoto lens or the 16mm pancake? They have them for both the Sony and Samsung.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-08-2014 at 11:09 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm... For landscape shots, I've always loved using a panorama mode which I think the RX100 has as well. I'm guessing most mirrorless have it too. I find this mode it kills the battery though. Night shots on the NEX 5N using auto settings are phenomenal. I occasionally point it at darkness and take a snapshot and see what it picks up. Surprises me a lot. I'm sure the later NEX models are even better.

I'm not sure about landscapes, but I always found the pancake lens was great for people pics and event photos. But getting other people to take photos... their mind is blown about a lens which doesn't zoom. Confuses them that they can move themselves to get a better angle/not cut someone off in a group pic. I mainly use the 18-55mm lens which came with the camera. IIRC, most people are pretty happy with the outcomes using this lens.

I prefer Sony because I find they're the easiest to hand to a stranger to take a photo of you and/or a significant other/group pic and get a decent picture(pretty user friendly) and you still have manual options too when the time comes. They just feel good to me weight/balance wise and grip wise too.

I believe I price matched at London Drugs and they even matched a promotion from futureshop + gave a discount on accessories like filters and stuff. Not sure if you would be able to do that. Most of the camera guys at London Drugs know their stuff too and are happy to tell you their personal experience with the cameras. Futureshop... they read you the spec sheet and say Nikon/Canon is better because Dad has one.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 AM   #23
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious if you're also including to take night landscape shots or more so landscape+low light shots.

Either way, depending on your budget and speaking generally, you can typically get away with a fast pancake lens for both landscape and low light situations. Generally you'd want the short focal length to take more in both for landscape and the lack of room when you're out in the town. If you want to expand and get a even faster prime or wider lens you can but whichever system that can provide you with that pancake lens will be a great start.

Granted, kit lens as sun mentioned will be good enough to start. Don't get caught up in wanting better when you don't have the budget for it or the reference for yourself personally to determine how much better the other gear is.

A common advice I've see is to go cheap on the body and spend on the glass (assuming you want to expand down the road) but I don't think that's as relevant for Mirrorless. I would go with the Sony. The sensor will be important for low-light photos. Samsung has yet to make a strong reputation for their hardware and especially glass.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #24
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
wut. This... is just not true. If that's putting it mildly, I'd like to see you put it not-mildly.
I have a Fuji x100s, but I would hesitate to recommend it to a beginner...
I didn't want to put in not-mildly, lots of people have them and are happy using them. I've used many of them, I've had many of them and still have some. They are not good. The spec trap is set by "wow, 15MP under $100!" or "wow, 10 fps! in a point'n'shoot". Reality is, that everything else in those cheapos is usually lousy; plus, the glass in them is usually horrible. You see it by taking a wide-angle view shot, for example, and then trying to crop the image to something smaller only to find out that you can't, because the overall IQ is poor. How's that for not-mildly?

The big problem of this and most other forums is not reading the OP. The guy wants a simple travel camera without bells and whistles in a $400 budget range and the advice he got so far is all over the map. I mean, yeah, Fuji X100S is a decent rangefinder. But it's $1,300, not $400. Fuji X-PRO-1 is even better. But it's about $2,000 with a lens. Any decent quality zoom lens (not even talking about full-frame) would cost over $400 alone, so this is not an option in this case.

There is really not a lot of good camera equipment in a $400 range, which is why I've suggested Nikon V1 w/ 10mm pancake lens selling for $439 at Saneal. I've used it myself and I would not hesitate to recommend it.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #25
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm a big Scenery and Landscape fan. I'd like to finally own something that takes great night pictures and has a good clean deep ISO range.
Why are you concerned with any ISO other than the minimum? I pretty much always shoot landscapes/nightscapes at minimum ISO, but with a tripod.

Edit: I'll tell you why you might want to care about ISO: to freeze stars. But if astrolandscapes are what you're into, you'll want to get a Rokinon 14mm lens and a DSLR.

Last edited by SebC; 05-09-2014 at 05:09 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #26
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

So currently the main runners by OP are:

$400-900 range
Samsung NX300 * Top of the list atm per OP
Sony NEX 6//A6000

.... Other mention
Nikon V1
RX100

OP is also seeking suggestions on lenses
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #27
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Dell is having a sale on the body only with the Sony A6000 for $525.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dell-...-99-a-1480201/

You could then get the 35mm f1.8 for just under $200 and end up spending ~$50 less to get the better low light lens but lose out on flexibility of any zoom.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #28
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I didn't want to put in not-mildly, lots of people have them and are happy using them. I've used many of them, I've had many of them and still have some. They are not good. The spec trap is set by "wow, 15MP under $100!" or "wow, 10 fps! in a point'n'shoot". Reality is, that everything else in those cheapos is usually lousy; plus, the glass in them is usually horrible. You see it by taking a wide-angle view shot, for example, and then trying to crop the image to something smaller only to find out that you can't, because the overall IQ is poor. How's that for not-mildly?

The big problem of this and most other forums is not reading the OP. The guy wants a simple travel camera without bells and whistles in a $400 budget range and the advice he got so far is all over the map. I mean, yeah, Fuji X100S is a decent rangefinder. But it's $1,300, not $400. Fuji X-PRO-1 is even better. But it's about $2,000 with a lens. Any decent quality zoom lens (not even talking about full-frame) would cost over $400 alone, so this is not an option in this case.

There is really not a lot of good camera equipment in a $400 range, which is why I've suggested Nikon V1 w/ 10mm pancake lens selling for $439 at Saneal. I've used it myself and I would not hesitate to recommend it.
His budget, according to his first post, is actually $500-850. So do you still think the V1 is a better choice? I'm curious to hear your thoughts because I've read nothing but mediocre reviews of it.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #29
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the olympus epl-5 and it is a great camera. Check out lens selection of the body you want. Because you are buying into a system just not a body. With the Olympus focus is very snappy for stills. With moving objects its more work and certainly doesn't track like a good dlsr.

I mainly use 2 lenses. A 20mm 1.7 and a 45 1.8. Olympus is a two times crop. That covers most of my needs and fits into a jacket pocket.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #30
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
His budget, according to his first post, is actually $500-850. So do you still think the V1 is a better choice? I'm curious to hear your thoughts because I've read nothing but mediocre reviews of it.
Looks like he edited the amounts.

After using it extensively for 2 weeks and taking over 1,000 shots, I can tell you of many small and big shortcomings Nikon V1 system has if compared to a D800E or D3X bodies. But why bother? It's a $400 body with the decent wide-angle lens and it's well worth the price as a lightweight simple travel camera.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #31
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Looks like Dell is having a sale on the body only with the Sony A6000 for $525.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dell-...-99-a-1480201/

You could then get the 35mm f1.8 for just under $200 and end up spending ~$50 less to get the better low light lens but lose out on flexibility of any zoom.
At that price, I can get two solid lenses and a memory card. Geez I need pay day to hurry up!!
Old 05-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #32
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dell cut $30 off the deal this morning. So in the end, its going to be $95 off instead of the $125.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #33
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So I'm planning on doing some traveling for the next year or so and I feel I need a good camera to take with me. I was going to go DSLR but decided on a mirrorless as they're lightweight and easier to travel with.

I should clairify that I am no professional photographer so I'm not look for ALL the bells and whistles but certainly looking for something better than a point and shoot pocket camera.
Wait a minute, if you're going to be backpacking or travelling light, especially for a year - you're coming at this the wrong way.

Forget camera specs and bringing a bunch of lenses - what you'd need is something compact, good range zoom, manual controls, and weatherproofable. I laughed at the German guy and his NEX-5 lugging this satchel of lenses everywhere and trying to change in the dust of the Namibian desert.

What you need is a Canon G16 / G1X Mk 2 and a Pelican 1050 case ($24). Good controls (manual), decent IQ, all in a company weatherproof / dust proof case. Not too expensive so if it does get stolen it's not the end of the world. Discrete too so you don't attract unwanted attention.

I'm a photographer but a traveller first - and that means a compromise on the camera side.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 05-11-2014 at 01:07 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #34
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Forget camera specs and bringing a bunch of lenses - what you'd need is something compact, good range zoom, manual controls, and weatherproofable.
... and a tripod, at least a mini or a gorilla.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:40 AM   #35
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Wait a minute, if you're going to be backpacking or travelling light, especially for a year - you're coming at this the wrong way.

Forget camera specs and bringing a bunch of lenses - what you'd need is something compact, good range zoom, manual controls, and weatherproofable. I laughed at the German guy and his NEX-5 lugging this satchel of lenses everywhere and trying to change in the dust of the Namibian desert.

What you need is a Canon G16 / G1X Mk 2 and a Pelican 1050 case ($24). Good controls (manual), decent IQ, all in a company weatherproof / dust proof case. Not too expensive so if it does get stolen it's not the end of the world. Discrete too so you don't attract unwanted attention.

I'm a photographer but a traveller first - and that means a compromise on the camera side.
To be honest, I'm going to wait on the lense purchases but still get the A6000
with the stock lense. The reality for me is I want to invest in photography and grow int the lenses. At least with the A6000 it's small enough to take with me wherever. I like the flexibility of the inter changeable lenses going in to the future. I just get ahead of myself sometimes when making purchases like this and get caught up in all the doodads and trinkets that come with it.

Thanks for the advice though. Much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #36
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Panasonic gx7? Its higher in price but has the best of both world as it has a great viewfinder AND touchscreen. Seems fairly dummy proof but then again the low light shots aren't getting rave reviews.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #37
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Touchscreens are the devil. Buttons are where it's at!
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #38
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally made the purchase today. Got the A6000 and I'm not regretting it one bit. Menu is easy and simple to navigate, pictures are great and there's on one lens I want to get before I leave ( Sony 10-18mm 1.8\f). Really glad I went with the A6000. Just testing the continuous shutter speed on some dogs playing and the AF does real good work keeping them in focus.

Anyways.... Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll post some pics on the never ending photo thread soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #39
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this instead of starting my own with two questions.

First, does anyone have any success/horror stories regarding the Nikon D3300 as a starter DSLR? I'm going to be travelling and wanted something decent, yet not too crazy so if it somehow got stolen I wouldn't kill myself.

Second, what is the best way to deal with picture upload on the go if I don't want to carry a laptop around? Are there accessories that one can buy to upload pics off a smart card to something like Drive or Dropbox?

Total camera newb here
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #40
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Second, what is the best way to deal with picture upload on the go if I don't want to carry a laptop around? Are there accessories that one can buy to upload pics off a smart card to something like Drive or Dropbox?
How long is your trip? Memory is pretty cheap these days - if you're going to take so many photos that you can't just buy memory, chances are you won't want to wait for a cloud upload either.

If you think you'll have access to computers (and not just locked-down, internet cafe computers) you could consider a card reader and a portable hard drive.

Otherwise you'd want something like one of these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/St...9/N/4000227848