Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #1041
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow. Someone finally fought back against a pitbull. When will this breed finally be banned?

They say a woman who was walking the pit bull approached the man and the pug, and after a brief introduction the larger dog bit down on the smaller dog’s neck.

Police say the man and woman couldn’t separate the animals, and the man “put down” the pit bull with a folding knife.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle15543507/
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #1042
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the best thing about that story is a 72-year old is packing a knife with him. Gotta love Vancouver.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #1043
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Nice work 72 yr old dude! I hope he smashed it to the ground while grabbing both hind legs.

It is a dog, not a sheep.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #1044
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think the best thing about that story is a 72-year old is packing a knife with him. Gotta love Vancouver.
What? Almost every old man that I've ever met that is still mobile has carried around a pocket knife with him
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #1045
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Where would be the smartest/quickest place to stab/slice the pitbull so as to not get bit?
Maybe the neck? I've never killed anything, so I'm not sure. Would you hit his brain if you tried going through his eyeball?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #1046
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've often thought of what I would have to do if a pitbull clamped down on my labs neck, and have learned that there is a device, that can be used, that is mandatory for pitbull owners to carry in parts of the US. As I understand it, the device consists of a handle with a flat blade that fits in a gap that usually occurs between the back teeth of the pitbull. The device is then twisted to pry the pitbulls mouth open, and the other dog can be saved.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #1047
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I've often thought of what I would have to do if a pitbull clamped down on my labs neck, and have learned that there is a device, that can be used, that is mandatory for pitbull owners to carry in parts of the US. As I understand it, the device consists of a handle with a flat blade that fits in a gap that usually occurs between the back teeth of the pitbull. The device is then twisted to pry the pitbulls mouth open, and the other dog can be saved.
Can you provide a link to this please?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #1048
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I believe that's it. There's a video on Youtube that demonstrates how to use it, entitled, "Break Stick" making a Pit Bull release when it attacks".
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #1049
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A cheaper alternative and more available!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #1050
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently pitbull was on a leash and the pug wasn't. Old guy heard yelling "you deserve to die" and then started stabbing dog before jumping into his suv and taking off.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/met...615/story.html
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #1051
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Apparently pitbull was on a leash and the pug wasn't. Old guy heard yelling "you deserve to die" and then started stabbing dog before jumping into his suv and taking off.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/met...615/story.html
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #1052
VO #23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/868...m-non-vicious/

Pit bull survives being shot in face after attacking cop, returned to owner. Oh boy.
VO #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #1053
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

When you think about it, it is pretty amazing that it's normal to own certain dogs as pets. Like if someone showed a coyote attacking animals in the wild and said "If we domesticated that, people could have them as pets" people would say "Are you ***ing insane?!".

But realistically if breeds like Doberman, Pitbull etc, weren't what they are today, pets, and someone took people out and showed you pitbulls and Doberman's in the wild acting like they would, people would likely have the same reaction. "Is this a joke? We're going to domesticate that and people will walk them down the street as pets? What happens when they act like the savage animals they can be when a situation startles them?".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #1054
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't hear too much about wolf-hybrid attacks, and they're a legal breed. But I also haven't looked for news about hybrid attacks, so that's my fault.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #1055
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
When you think about it, it is pretty amazing that it's normal to own certain dogs as pets. Like if someone showed a coyote attacking animals in the wild and said "If we domesticated that, people could have them as pets" people would say "Are you ***ing insane?!".

But realistically if breeds like Doberman, Pitbull etc, weren't what they are today, pets, and someone took people out and showed you pitbulls and Doberman's in the wild acting like they would, people would likely have the same reaction. "Is this a joke? We're going to domesticate that and people will walk them down the street as pets? What happens when they act like the savage animals they can be when a situation startles them?".

Interesting theory - but before I query you further about your lack of knowledge of dogs I'm curious as to what this pre-domesticated Doberman or Pitbull would look like. I'm guessing it would look something like the pre-domesticated labrador retriever, poodle, pug, husky and bulldog.

Spoiler!

Last edited by ranchlandsselling; 11-28-2013 at 03:30 PM.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #1056
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #1057
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's saying that if Terrier breeds existed naturally in the wild and we watched a pack of Pitbulls all take down an elephant, we'd probably re-evaluate our pet choices (and Tapout t-shirts).

I think I'm picking up what flameswin is putting down, or I could be way off base... it's hard not to reply with just a picture and all this text in a thought bubble above a dogs head.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #1058
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
He's saying that if Terrier breeds existed naturally in the wild and we watched a pack of Pitbulls all take down an elephant, we'd probably re-evaluate our pet choices (and Tapout t-shirts).

I think I'm picking up what flameswin is putting down, or I could be way off base... it's hard not to reply with just a picture and all this text in a thought bubble above a dogs head.
If they took down an elephant and then returned to the call of their name, I'm sure we wouldn't hesitate to bring them in and domesticate them. They aren't ferocious wild beasts, they are domesticated animals because of their proven ability to cohabitate with mankind in a beneficial way.

That those breeds exist only as a result of human endeavour should speak that point even more clearly.

Or do we think Dogs are descendents of butterflies?

What a weird discussion this is.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #1059
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post

If packing up and taking down prey was their only option plenty of dogs would do this given their need to eat.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #1060
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel I should not hide the fact that my very own dog was part of a recent attack. Let me set the mood.

It was a Sunday evening and Kunkstyle and myself were drinking keg beers in my basement while playing NHL 2014. The mood was hostile since I kept letting 4 goal leads slip away. About 2 litres in Kunkstyle went upstairs to use the facilities. This is where the alleged attack occurred.

In a dark hallway Kunkstyle was met by what authorities are calling the "Greeter" His job was to look cute and distract Kunkstyle while his partner the "Attacker" moves in and makes his move to attack/rob Kunkstyle. The "Greeter" who we have now been advised goes by the alias Tyson did his job to perfection. Jumping up and down in excitement to see the victim in the hallway. That is when the "Attacker" Frazier went into action. While distracted he snuck around to the back of Kunkstyle and placed a vicious bite to the buttock area. In the commotion it is assumed that Frazier had tried to take Kunkstyle's wallet but did not accomplish this task.

Authorities are looking for anyone with more information regarding this attack. There were no witness and no cameras to go by. As of now Kunkstyle is not pressing any charges and was paid out in 2-3 more liters of beer on the house!

Here is a picture of the know assailants

The "Attacker" Frazier is shown on the left and the "Greeter" Tyson is on the right

This attack may lead into investigations into previous unsolved attacks. As per this thread http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...er#post3575405 you can see the dogs in question are shown with cash apparently coming from savings and are providing a donation. It is possible that this cash was proceeds from a previous similar crime that the culprits trying to "clean" by laundering back into the financial system.

If you have any further information please contact Kunkstyle as his ego and buttocks are still in pain.

There are a couple of theories still floating around as to why the attack occured:

1. The dogs were protecting the room in which there infant sister was sleeping
2. Kunkstyle was buying performance enhancing drugs from Frazier and the deal just went south
3. Kunkstyle thought the dogs weren't that tough even though they are named after famous boxers and engaged in a no holds barred street fight
4 Kunkstyle was a victim of a hate crime as he is neither a dog nor a visible minority
5 The dogs were still upset that the Riders beat the stamps and remembered seeing Kunkstyle wear a riders jersey in a previous visit
6 The dogs are uncontrollable beasts who should not be in a house

Last edited by fundmark19; 12-24-2013 at 10:31 AM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:

Tags
dog attack puppy barking