Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hotel advice for old town Prague

My wife is heading to Prague for a week or so with some friends. She's been put in charge of finding accommodations in the old town area. Not looking for a hostel but also hoping to keep it under $150/night.

Anyone have a particularly good/bad recommendation?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch your cornhole.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:45 AM   #3
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

In June I stayed in the Grand Majestic Plaza and it was awesome. Great value, good breakfast and really good location. Rooms are clean. I'd stay there again.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

When my wife and I went a few years ago, we stayed here :http://www.987praguehotel.com/en/

It is a bit of a walk to the old town, but very close the train station. The hotel itself didn't have a lot of amenities, but we weren't bothered as we'd prefer to be out anyway. But it was clean, modern, and more than adequate.

And, as with many European boutique hotels, they're usually nicely priced compared with some of the branded hotels. But... you compensate for that by being a bit further away. My wife and I like walking though.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Make sure they get a hotel with air conditioning.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I went, I used Hotwire's "secret" price.

If you're unfamiliar with how that works, they tell you what amenities are in the hotel and its general location in the city, but not the specific hotel until after you've booked and paid for it. The tradeoff of not knowing the specific hotel is that you pay significantly less for the room.

I used Hotwire all over Germany, plus Amsterdam, Brussels, Prague, and Vienna. I always selected the city-centre area; 4-star quality or better; with 80%+ positive customer reviews (when possible, I went for 90%+). Using those criteria, I have never had any problem, and usually ended up in some very nice hotels at significantly lower than advertised prices.

My thinking is that it's a city I don't know anyway and don't have any specific place I want to stay, so as long as it's a nice hotel, I don't really care what it is. If I can get a 4-star for a 3-star price, it's worth it.

I used Hotwire for Prague and selected the Old Town area. The hotel wasn't specifically in Old Town, but it was only about 1.5km away from the Charles Bridge and Astronomical Clock area. It was really close to Wenceslas Square, the main Museum, and the central train station. It was a nice hotel. The only caution was that it was next door to a strip club, and across the street from another strip club, but other than the suggestive pictures in the windows, you wouldn't have even known that's what they were.

Of course, if your wife used Hotwire, it doesn't mean they'd get the same hotel I got, but that is the one downside of not knowing what you're getting until you've booked and paid for it. The upside was that I paid $100 CAD a night for two weekend nights for a very nice hotel in a great location in an amazing city.

Oh yeah, the hotel I was in was the K+K Fenix.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

http://www.residenceagnes.cz

I stayed at this hotel last summer and I thought it was superb.

I found it on tripadvisor and they were bang on.
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hart50 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I used Hotwire for Prague and selected the Old Town area. The hotel wasn't specifically in Old Town, but it was only about 1.5km away from the Charles Bridge and Astronomical Clock area. It was really close to Wenceslas Square, the main Museum, and the central train station. It was a nice hotel. The only caution was that it was next door to a strip club, and across the street from another strip club, but other than the suggestive pictures in the windows, you wouldn't have even known that's what they were.

Of course, if your wife used Hotwire, it doesn't mean they'd get the same hotel I got, but that is the one downside of not knowing what you're getting until you've booked and paid for it. The upside was that I paid $100 CAD a night for two weekend nights for a very nice hotel in a great location in an amazing city.

Oh yeah, the hotel I was in was the K+K Fenix.
I can't remember if it was a Hotwire deal or if I actually selected it, but I've stayed at the K+K Fenix too. Really nice place, and great location. Just a few steps to those delicious sausages and fried cheese sandwiches in the square. Though I have to admit, I didn't mind the proximity to those 2 strip clubs either.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:43 AM   #9
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why book a hotel when you can get an apartment for less than $100/night through Airbnb?

Different city but I visit Amsterdam several times a year and have used Airbnb several times and never had a problem. Just book a place with several excellent (recent) reviews.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:50 AM   #10
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I visited Prague in 2007 with a couple buddies, the beer is cheap and the women are gorgeous! Seriously the hottest women I've ever seen in person...at the strip clubs...
This is all I have to add, can't even remember where I stayed
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just came here to say I'm jelly. I wanna go to Prague.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

VRBO is a good place to rent apartment like accommodations. That's what we used last year and we got a really nice condo, only about a 15 minute walk from Old Town.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time I hear about someone visiting Prague, I get a little jealous. Prague is definitely 'on the list'.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to University in Prague and went back for visit around 2009. Was just checking things out today online and it is amazing how much prices have gone up. Still cheaper than a lot of western Europe, but no where near the hidden gem prices it used to be. We were essentially paying a dollar a pint when I was in school. Either way, a top 5 city in Europe imo.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
My wife is heading to Prague for a week or so with some friends. She's been put in charge of finding accommodations in the old town area. Not looking for a hostel but also hoping to keep it under $150/night.

Anyone have a particularly good/bad recommendation?

Thanks in advance!
When do they plan to go? Also how many rooms do they need? PM me that info and then I'll look at my hotel contracts to see what I can offer.

Something along the lines of what your wife and friends are looking for I would probably suggest: Hotel Clement Praque - right in the heart of the city, just a few steps from the Vltava River and The Old Town Square with the Astronomical Clock is just minutes walk away.

Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Bohemia.html

Home page: http://www.hotelclement.cz/

They are offering a Stay 7/Pay 6 (1 free night) or a 15% earlybird discount for booking at least 21 days in advance (which ever promo works out better can be applied). Looking at random dates in October, works out to CAD $136 per room per night including taxes and breakfast daily.

In comparison, Expedia/Hotels.com/Booking.com all want ~$160-$180/night for the same parameters but are more restrictive (non-refundable).

Prague is awesome, they'll have a great time. Hope they like a good Pilsner!
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote