Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #41
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I have been a Beltline resident for over 10 years, started in university, and never left. One of the best neighbourhoods in any Canadian city.
God damn it, Peter12, I hate agreeing with you.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:59 AM   #42
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

So glad to have moved on from Bonavista. Also, what is with the priority of fixing pathways, 6 new bridges downtown and nothing for Fish Creek.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:53 AM   #43
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fish Creek would be provincial jurisdiction, wouldn't it?
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #44
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lived in Ranchlands for 5 years, there is no way it should make any list of top places to live. What a ####hole.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 07:28 AM   #45
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the list was
1. Inglewood
2. Mount Royal
3. Discovery Ridge
4. Beltline
Etc

Then there would be little discussions about it.

Throw in some random hoods in a random order and people get excited, create message board posts, post links to article, and generate traffic to avenue article.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 07:40 AM   #46
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pineridge over Lake Bonavista? The lawn over Elbow Park? and Marlborough over North Glenmore? This list was definately picked out of thin air.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #47
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised that they would put Silver Springs and Scenic Acres above Varsity. Varsity is much better than either of those.

Somewhat off topic but I use to read Avenue every month because we use to go to the Calgary Farmers Market weekly. But we stopped going regularly about a year ago. The market had free copies of the magazines at the doors. On our last visit I noticed that they didn't have Avenue anymore. I enjoyed picking up a free copy. Does anyone know where I can get it for free still? Maybe I should just subscribe because it is only a few dollars.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 07-31-2015 at 07:53 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #48
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the rankings aren't arbitrary enough the boundaries and naming of the neighbourhoods are simply wrong in several cases.

What they call North Glenmore Park is actually half of Lincoln Park and Lakeview. North Glenmore Park is the little sliver bordered by Glenmore Trail on the north, Crowchild Trail on the west and the lands bordering the Reservoir (Earl Grey golf course) on the south and east.

Lincoln Park is also shown incorrectly as its boundary straddles Crowchild bordered on the east by Lakeview Golf Course and 19th Street SW and on the north by 50th Avenue.

You'd figure they'd know the actual neighbourhoods before ranking them.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #49
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Throw in some random hoods in a random order and people get excited, create message board posts, post links to article, and generate traffic to avenue article.
Exactly. I think I took the bait for the past few years, but this year it was so over-the-top ridiculous I can barely be bothered to talk about it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #50
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, goes to show even local organizations can create click-bait, articles.
Trolling for responses at its finest.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #51
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
Pineridge over Lake Bonavista? The lawn over Elbow Park? and Marlborough over North Glenmore? This list was definately picked out of thin air.
Well really, Lake Bonavista is pretty crappy. A garbagey lake with high levels of fecal matter. Some junk hockey rinks from the 1960's that look like the only maintenance they get involves a coat of paint every ten years. Some absolutely terrible restaurants that are filthy and a shopping area that only gets use for the one month out of the year when they convert it into a flu shot clinic. Plus they have some of the worst schools in the province ranked by the Fraser Institute.

I think the only reason they were given #29 on this list is because someone at Avenue owes the head of the Community Association huge favor. And that huge favor still only got them #29.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #52
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Well really, Lake Bonavista is pretty crappy. A garbagey lake with high levels of fecal matter. Some junk hockey rinks from the 1960's that look like the only maintenance they get involves a coat of paint every ten years. Some absolutely terrible restaurants that are filthy and a shopping area that only gets use for the one month out of the year when they convert it into a flu shot clinic. Plus they have some of the worst schools in the province ranked by the Fraser Institute.

I think the only reason they were given #29 on this list is because someone at Avenue owes the head of the Community Association huge favor. And that huge favor still only got them #29.
You think Lake Bonavista is bad? I was a regular attendee at Lake Midnapore as a child. So many rashes.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #53
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can people please quit pooping in the lakes?!!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #54
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Albertans swim in scummy water as a kind of past-time. In fact. if it isn't scummy, we don't want to swim in it.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #55
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aw yeah, Acadia!

I dont live there anymore, but I grew up there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #56
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought people were exaggerating the uselessness of that list until I looked at it myself. Now I actually think it's either:

A) A list of communities the editors and contributors have lived in.

or

B) Completely random.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #57
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
It wasn't picked out of thin air. The used the criteria that Calgarian's gave them as priority when picking a neighborhood to live in. Did you read the methodology?

Things like income, price of homes, rate of crime, etc were not account for in this particular study. So ya, they forgot for some reason to account for these things, which is poor on their part, but it makes sense for what information they started with.

Out of thin air, no. Garbage in, garbage out, yes. They are missing important information to make this a quality study.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #58
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

These lists on the internet don't really mean anything anymore. Somewhere along the way ranking lists have gone from

Magazine; Hey let's spend some time and properly rank something in order. Hopefully our readers agree with us because we care about our quality and want people to keep reading, knowing we offer good content.

To

Internet; Put everything out of order, add in some crap, leave off some sure bets, tell everyone if they don't agree to go to our facebook page and twitter to join in the discussion.

I don't lend this crap two seconds of my time anymore, and no one should.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #59
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow, they still think Acadia is a good place to live? I'm just going to cut and paste my comments from 2013.

Things to enjoy in Acadia: The sounds of a police helicopter overhead every night. Drunks walking on the street trying to take a swing at your car. Ghetto Walmart. Sidewalks covered in glass.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #60
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that because it was a survey, the list represents neighborhoods where people are home during the day more, stoned, bored and just happy to be talking to someone. That for sure explains Shawnessy.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote