Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #41
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, maybe I'm just getting jaded and cynical, but really don't give a f*** about people's apologies anymore. Apologies for racist tirades, apologies for sexual assaults, apologies for poaching animals.

Who the hell cares how sorry you are? You did it. Nothing has changed.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #42
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From Lion Aid:

Bronkhorst [from Bushman Safaris Zimbabwe] has denied the charges.

“It was a magnificent, mature lion. We did not know it was well-known lion,” he told The Telegraph newspaper. “I had a licence for my client to shoot a lion with a bow and arrow in the area where it was shot.

Lion Aid says, “He will likely abscond rather than face trial unless he is confident of the possible bribes he has paid to an entirely corrupt judiciary. The concession owner is allegedly related to the Zimbabwe Minister of Transport and will therefore be immune from prosecution.”

Yet,

“Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management as the Regulatory Authority and custodian of all wild animals in Zimbabwe issues hunting permits and hunting quota for all hunting areas in Zimbabwe so that only animals on quota are to be hunted. In this case, both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt,” the agency said.

We shall see.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #43
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Predictably remorseless, and hiding behind "legality". The remorse I imagine is coming in a few days when he realizes his practice is never coming back and he can't afford to murder any more animals for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Yeah, his previous history of violating various bans and restrictions when bear hunting casts enormous doubt on his character, there's no hiding behind legality here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Convicted poacher sad he was caught again.
God, it's like pulling teeth with this guy.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #44
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

It is not to often I actually wish pain and suffering on anyone/anything, but this story is bringing out the worst in me...at first I thought that this coward should be lured from his house, shot with an arrow, left to suffer for 2 days, and then used as a photo prop.

However, the ruin I hope this story brings to his business and life, will have to suffice.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #45
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Activity I love"... So he openly admits he loves hunting endangered species for no reason other than the trophy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #46
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actor Brett Gelman even left a comment on his Yelp page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Gelman

Quote:
This is Brett Gelman. Actor/Writer/Comedian. Dr. Walt Palmer, when I was a young neurotic child I was afraid that there was a hell. I'd tug at my mother's shirt and would ask her if this was true, and, if it was, did she think I would be going there. Like all good mothers she told me "no."

As I grew older I came to believe that there was no hell. The world was hell. And the main reason is because of demon ####ing scum like you. You are a parasite that latches itself to the essence of life and sucks it of all its essence. There is not only no excuse for what you've done. There is no excuse for you existence. I hope your business crumbles. I hope you meet a worse fate than Cecil, the beautiful lion that you murdered.

You are jealous of your victims. That is why you kill them. Deep down you know that they are the opposite of you. They are pure. They bring beauty, goodness, and balance to the world. They deserve happiness and respect. The only thing you deserve is pain. You are subhuman scum shat from the devil's filthy #######. Oh wait! Oops! I forgot! I don't believe in the devil. Unfortunately, I believe in you, because, unfortunately, you exist.

I don't believe in hell, but I wish I did, because then I could sleep comfortably tonight knowing that someday (hopefully soon) you would be burning and rotting there. Maybe God would even let Cecil visit hell to bleed you out, skin you, and behead you for eternity. Cecil probably wouldn't do that though, because, unlike you, he would have better #### to do.

Hate,

Brett
Old 07-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #47
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Even with Yelp deleting reviews there are now over 2000.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #48
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

And a few minutes later it's down to less than 1000. People are starting to get really upset with Yelp now.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #49
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yelp is at least for the next little while going to have to take the page down because it's not going to stop much as people continue to pile on. I wonder how long till a local competitor runs an ad with "Our dentists don't slaughter beautiful animals!"
Old 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #50
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Such a dentist would have my business.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #51
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Why would Yelp even delete the comments? What do they have to gain besides bad press and even more internet wrath.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #52
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

@JBO I guess Yelp removes a review if they reasonably believe you haven't visited the business being reviewed.

It does make sense.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #53
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys like this give all hunters a bad name.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #54
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Why would Yelp even delete the comments? What do they have to gain besides bad press and even more internet wrath.
Yeah, like Cro said, Yelp reviews are 100% there for business reviews. Aka, you actually used the business.

As deserved as this may be, it is 100% trolling comments being posted that have nothing to do with actual experiences at his business. So Yelp has every right and duty to remove the comments.

Not sure of all the wrath being dished out on the internet with this incident that this would be something people would be upset about. But it is the internet I guess.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #55
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Viral shaming is the new public stoning, but instead of a crowd of 20 to 50 killing you, you have 10,000 plus denouncing you. You live but lose your job or business and any prospect to earn a living.

Its analogous to modern international relations. It used to be, bomb or attack them. Now its, sanction them, starve them of the resources to live.

I'm not defending this guy or the taxi guy, but its quite a societal shift.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 PM   #56
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is sport hunters care nothing about any damage they cause to local economies, environment or future generations, just their own selfish egos. If one person's livelihood gets destroyed as an example to the other sport hunters and saves one of the few remaining ultra endangered animals, it might be worth it.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #57
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Viral shaming is the new public stoning, but instead of a crowd of 20 to 50 killing you, you have 10,000 plus denouncing you. You live but lose your job or business and any prospect to earn a living.

Its analogous to modern international relations. It used to be, bomb or attack them. Now its, sanction them, starve them of the resources to live.

I'm not defending this guy or the taxi guy, but its quite a societal shift.
It's fascinating and scary as hell. I don't believe everyone should be empathetic to internet shaming in every case, but I also don't believe that the average person even fully understands how catastrophic and life ending a lot of these public shaming cases are.

You're right it really is a throwback to the old days. We spent years evolving in our punishment for crimes, and it's like social media came along and the general public went..

"Yeah state punishments are okay and all, but we found this new thing where we can just end someone's life as they know it when we come across something we don't agree with on our facebook feeds. So we're just going to do that from now on".

I really hate public shaming and honestly feel like those who love it and actively engage in it lack empathy. Or if they do have decent levels of empathy and therefore understand that more often than not you're destroying a life, yet still think it's okay, then good lord, I don't even know what to say.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #58
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
It's fascinating and scary as hell. I don't believe everyone should be empathetic to internet shaming in every case, but I also don't believe that the average person even fully understands how catastrophic and life ending a lot of these public shaming cases are.

You're right it really is a throwback to the old days. We spent years evolving in our punishment for crimes, and it's like social media came along and the general public went..

"Yeah state punishments are okay and all, but we found this new thing where we can just end someone's life as they know it when we come across something we don't agree with on our facebook feeds. So we're just going to do that from now on".

I really hate public shaming and honestly feel like those who love it and actively engage in it lack empathy. Or if they do have decent levels of empathy and therefore understand that more often than not you're destroying a life, yet still think it's okay, then good lord, I don't even know what to say.
The people calling for his practice to fail aren't thinking of the people he employs. They'll be out of a job too, and they've done nothing wrong. I don't know how hard hygienist and receptionist jobs are to come by where he lives but that could be devastating.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #59
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The people calling for his practice to fail aren't thinking of the people he employs. They'll be out of a job too, and they've done nothing wrong. I don't know how hard hygienist and receptionist jobs are to come by where he lives but that could be devastating.
Yep, again it's that far reaching devastating practice of public shaming. I guarantee you that thought didn't even cross the minds of most of the proponents of public shaming. They're just so stuck in their destroy mentality when they see something that they feel deserves public justice.

Public shaming is basically like the easy button for justice.

Step 1: Don't like something someone did

Step 2: Easy button, you're done buddy

Old 07-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #60
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Public shamings are scary. People can ruin someone's reputation so easily. Even this guy, does he deserve to have his livliehood taken from him, as horrible as his action? It destroys families. It's also possible to destroy lives with wrong accusations.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post: