Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #21
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You are basically accusing a woman of being "self-entitled" for being upset that the airline treated her like a second class human.

Think about that for a while.
This is why in my second sentence I wrote I understand her point of view.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #22
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
This type of self-entitlement really irks me, why make such a ####ing big deal about it? This woman should just respect that and move, if I were put in that situation I would gladly move without any fuss. She should seriously get over herself.

I do understand her point of view also though, but really... move on. The guy is an ####### for not moving to an empty seat, but really go public with this? I don't know.
Green text? Sarcasm? Trolling? I'm not sure which one it is, but in no way can you be serious.

In no way would I move. If you have trouble sitting next to someone based on their gender, skin colour, and/or religion, you get to be the one that moves. I'm not going to accommodate your ridiculous beliefs.

To use hyperbole, the black people should have just stayed at the back of the bus so the white people didn't have to sit next to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #23
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Then HE should move, not her. I'd be furious if the airline staff inconvenienced me because someone with archaic religion beliefs refused to sit next to me. Screw that guy.
He did move though.

Quote:
"I said, 'This man is refusing to sit next to me because I am a woman.' At that point, another man behind ... offered to switch with me and the airline attendant said, 'Would you be willing to move? and I said, 'Absolutely not. This is ridiculous,'" she said. "I was without words."

Eventually the man was seated next to another male passenger and the flight departed.
I understand the initial outrage with the religious man 'refusing' to acknowledge her in trying to come up with a way to accommodate everyone. I also recognize her anger in being in that situation at all simply because she was female. That's fair.

I don't understand why she is looking for an apology from the airline. The man didn't request she move, it wasn't even the airline attendant that requested she move. It was a Good Samaritan who originally offered to switch seats with the lady. When she refused, they found a place for the religious man. How else should the attendant have behaved? Someone was willing to switch seats with her, why wouldn't the attendant see if that was okay? The airline staff did not inconvenience her, the religious man did.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #24
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is why in my second sentence I wrote I understand her point of view.
But you still wrote the first sentence.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #25
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This type of self-entitlement really irks me, why make such a ####ing big deal about it? This woman should just respect that and move, if I were put in that situation I would gladly move without any fuss. She should seriously get over herself..
So she's being self-entitled by not "respecting" the self-entitlement of someone else? Why can't he respect her wish to stay in her damn seat?

In my experience, Orthodox Jewish men are some of the most obnoxious people around. They demand that everyone follow their silly archaic customs, yet don't respect the customs of anyone around them.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #26
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simply put, if the guy was that averse to sitting next to a female, he should have bought two tickets to avoid the risk. Why leave it to chance and risk offending God?

PS: If your religion teaches you that God made man & woman (which the Jewish faith clearly does), why is it against the rules to sit beside a woman?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #27
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
So she's being self-entitled by not "respecting" the self-entitlement of someone else? Why can't he respect her wish to stay in her damn seat?

In my experience, Orthodox Jewish men are some of the most obnoxious people around. They demand that everyone follow their silly archaic customs, yet don't respect the customs of anyone around them.
Ha! I really find the customs of Orthodox Judaism to be quite charming. The short stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer provide wonderful insight. So I think that you are stereotyping a little bit here.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #28
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Ha! I really find the customs of Orthodox Judaism to be quite charming. The short stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer provide wonderful insight. So I think that you are stereotyping a little bit here.
You may be confusing fiction, great great short fiction, with reality. The two are in fact mutually exclusive.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

I don't want to generalize, but every single Jewish man I've come across who has worn the entire get up including the hat, has smelled bad. I'm not saying they all do, but every single one I've come across has smelled bad. I don't personally know any, but I've probably come across at least 100 on my travels.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #30
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
You may be confusing fiction, great great short fiction, with reality. The two are in fact mutually exclusive.
No, often, in fact, really great fiction influences reality, and vice versa.

They are not exclusive or there would be no charm to it.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #31
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why should the woman move? She bought and paid for that specific seat. The Jewish passenger eventually sat somewhere else to accommodate his request, so it all worked out anyways.

The only problem here is the big deal she made out of this, when she didn't have to. Time for her to move on and stop drawing attention to her uterus.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #32
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, I don't really understand why they didn't just get HIM to move instead.
Uh, they did?

Did people just not read the article?

The religious man didn't ask the lady to move, he asked others if they were willing to switch places. The airline attendant didn't force the woman to move, he/she asked if she would be willing to move AFTER another passenger had already offered to switch. When she refused, they found a place for the religious man.

Everyone handled this fine in my opinion based on the article.

The woman was perfectly justified in wanting to keep her seat she paid for.

The man behind her was just trying to be polite in offering her his seat.

The flight attendant had a duty to see if the woman was willing to move to accommodate everyone considering the man behind her had already offered to move. This is the absolute common-sense approach, anyone finding fault in it has issues.

Even the religious man didn't seem to be particularly bad. He certainly should have planned things prior, but he didn't demand anything from the woman. He was asking others to move and took the seat that the airline attendant found for him. Seems pretty sensible to me, depending on how long the actual process took.

I'm still not wrapping my head around why she is looking for an apology from the airline.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #33
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

My question is: What counts as "beside" for this man and the rest of his cult? A woman sitting in front or behind are just as adjacent as one beside him. Does he not go out in public? Does he keep a wide distance when walking down the street and passing women? What if they accidentally bump shoulders? Does he burn forever?

It's clear to me the best place for this man is strapped to the wing of the airplane. Or a hole in the ground.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #34
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
My question is: What counts as "beside" for this man and the rest of his cult? A woman sitting in front or behind are just as adjacent as one beside him. Does he not go out in public? Does he keep a wide distance when walking down the street and passing women? What if they accidentally bump shoulders? Does he burn forever?

It's clear to me the best place for this man is strapped to the wing of the airplane. Or a hole in the ground.
Unreal.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #35
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I put zero fault on the airline or attendant. They're just trying to get the issue resolved as quickly as possible. They probably get stupid arguments over seats all the time.

The religious guy is a freaking moron though. What a backwards ####.

God I hate religion. How can people believe this kind of bull#### just cause it's written in a stupid book.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #36
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rather not get into a debate right's and wrong's on a hockey forum lol.
[TRANSLATION] I just said something dumb and got called on it so I'm going to act like this is funny while I run away with my tail between my legs.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #37
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
While you might have read some charming stories, I lived next to, and worked in what is probably the biggest Hacidic neighbourhood outside of Israel for about 5 years...so I interacted with these people in my actual life almost on a daily basis. Obnoxious and hypocritical are two words I would best describe many of them as.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #38
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
[TRANSLATION] I just said something dumb and got called on it so I'm going to act like this is funny while I run away with my tail between my legs.
Lol not the case at all, I still stand by what I said. I understand both points of view, and I don't think it was warrented to go public with this issue. The guy moved, end of story. Sheesh. What does it even matter to you what my opinions on the matter are either, or do you like to just sit around and attack people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

God I hate religion. How can people believe this kind of bull#### just cause it's written in a stupid book.
Agreed.

Last edited by skudr248; 07-29-2015 at 10:37 AM.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #39
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol not the case at all, I still stand by what I said. I understand both points of view, and I don't think it was warranted to go public with this issue. The guy moved, end of story. Sheesh.
Clearly that's what it meant when you deleted the post. If you stood by it the post would have remained standing.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #40
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are either tolerant of cultural/religious practices, or we are not. We don't get to move the bar to where we see fit.
By definition, the woman is clearly a bigot.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote