Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Woman demand apology from Porter Airlines.

I am confused as to why the flight attendant didn't simply say to the man, if you are uncomfortable simply find another seat. It says not many seats were available, this means at least one was. If his religion did not allow him to sit there then he moves. Simple solution. I have a feeling that the flight attendant may have been flustered, who knows what else could have happened. In the end I do think this woman is justified in being offended, and her demand for an apology is bringing this situation to light. What do you folks think?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...nger-1.3171114
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rather not get into a debate right's and wrong's on a hockey forum lol.

Last edited by skudr248; 07-29-2015 at 10:06 AM.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm all for making an accommodation for somebody for religious reasons. When I worked with a Muslim guy we made sure to make lunch arrangements that worked for him. However in this case the Jewish passenger should have made a request before the flight; or bought two tickets.

Just as the rights of my fist end at your face, the right to freedom of religion cannot come at the expense of gender rights.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Negative on that. I am not accommodating that crap, unless I get a better seat out of the deal.

That said, sounds like she only was asked to switch and not forced to move, so not sure what the apology is needed for.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you aren't comfortable sitting next to a women, and there is approximately 50% chance you will be seated next to one, maybe you shouldn't be flying, or you should buy an extra seat. Society isn't yours to boss around becuase you are mentally defective.

Not saying she needs to demand an apology from the airline, but this guy needs to get over himself.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
This type of self-entitlement really irks me, why make such a ####ing big deal about it? This woman should just respect that and move, if I were put in that situation I would gladly move without any fuss. She should seriously get over herself.
You are basically accusing a woman of being "self-entitled" for being upset that the airline treated her like a second class human.

Think about that for a while.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
This type of self-entitlement really irks me, why make such a ####ing big deal about it? This woman should just respect that and move, if I were put in that situation I would gladly move without any fuss. She should seriously get over herself.

I do understand her point of view also though, but really... move on. The guy is an ####### for not moving to an empty seat, but really go public with this? I don't know.
Did you read the part where she says if she was simply asked by the man she would have. It is the complete disregard he displays her that triggered her defensive nature. No one deserves to be treated that way let alone in a Country where we proclaim freedom from gender discrimination. There is no reason she should have to move, now her politeness would have accommodated this if the man had the decency to ask her. The issue is in the assumption that she should move to accommodate him, this was reinforced by the flight attendant. The woman ever says she realizes the attendant was probably just trying to settle the issue but in reality the attendant was wrong. At what point does this man deserve to stay put when all of the issue is his? What in the world could justify this?
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

As ridiculous and offensive as it is, it's hard to not look at this from the flight attendant's point of view. I can't imagine having to deal not only with people all day, but flyers in an enclosed space all day. The article mentions that flights to Israel are causing delays, and for an airline that's a pretty big deal. I'm sure an AV geek can get more specific, but I have to imagine a 15 minute delay can end up costing a ton of money (more fuel, missed connections etc.). I'd love it if the flight attendant stance was "your fairy tale is weird so smarten up and figure it out", but that's not going to end well for anybody.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

No. Not sure the airline owes her anything but she has every right to be upset. #### that guy.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are the one with the problem, you move. I agree with the lady here.

The guy should have just sat else where if there was such a big deal.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, this all seems stupid.

Why the !@#$ should any of us care about this sort of situation? News like this, and the corresponding feigned internet outrage is just dumb. What a colossal waste of time, just like my post here complaining about it is.

/the internet
/modern "news"
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #13
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Why should the woman move when she sat down first and she's not the one bothered by it to begin with? The guy should have moved to the back of the plane where there usually is seats. New Jersey to Toronto is not a long flight.

Sorry, the dude is wrong in this. He should accommodate her, not her accommodate him.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe anyone thinks this is ok. Option 1, get off the plane and keep buying tickets until you sit next to someone you like. Option 2, learn how to function in secular western society.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't really understand why they didn't just get HIM to move instead.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #16
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

People "demanding" apologies...jesus. This guy was a tool shed but really, this is a bit dramatic:

Quote:
"Leaving it to the last minute and expecting me to move is appalling. He's expecting me to fall in to that archetypical feminine role and acquiesce."
Old 07-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, no kidding... "no, lady, look, it's not that complicated: he just doesn't want to sit next to you".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #18
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see why she needs an apology from teh airline, they were just trying to resolve the situation so they could get moving. Asking her if she would be willing to move is reasonable.

The man however, is not reasonable. I'm perfectly OK with the woman refusing to move. It's not up to her. If he has a problem, move yourself or get off the damn plane; preferably while it's at 20,000 feet.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #19
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

They made the wrong person move...end of story
MelBridgeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #20
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Haha, no kidding... "no, lady, look, it's not that complicated: he just doesn't want to sit next to you".
Then HE should move, not her. I'd be furious if the airline staff inconvenienced me because someone with archaic religion beliefs refused to sit next to me. Screw that guy.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post: