Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #41
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I agree.

I believe kids under 10 aren't in the water unless they are in the water WITH an adult. As in, the adult is swimming/standing next to them, life jacket or not.

A poorly fitting lifejacket can be more hazardous than no lifejacket.

That's not an argument against no lifejackets, it's an argument for proper fitting safety gear.
I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm interested in your rationale for choosing under 10 years old.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #42
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Drowning is preventable.

I hate to seem callous in a horrific situation... but where were the parents? ALL children should be supervised around water.
**edit

You've already been taken to task, so I won't. But I hope you now realize how horrible that reaction is.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #43
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Rico Butac was enjoying an evening of paddleboating with his brother-in-law, nephew and eight year old son when they first saw indications of trouble.

“We heard a lady close to the middle of the lake screaming for help,” he told the Sun.

“We almost didn’t hear her — we didn’t know how long she’d actually been there.”

Butac recalls seeing the woman frantically swimming to shore, an unconscious boy laying on top of her paddle board.
Quote:
Jumping to action, the pair immediately started shouting for help, trying to catch the attention of people on shore.

Once the child was back on solid ground, a bystander identifying herself as a nurse performed CPR until paramedics arrived just after 6:30 p.m.

The child was rushed to South Calgary Health Campus where he was pronounced dead, EMS spokesperson Naomi Nania said.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/07/25...uburn-bay-lake
Old 07-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #44
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm interested in your rationale for choosing under 10 years old.
When I was a teenager I had a lifeguard certification and learned that kids were more susceptible to drowning because they don't have the strength to struggle as long as an average adult. The signs of an adult drowning are more apparent than a child. That might be outdated info now, but based on the 10 year olds I know that seems to hold true more or less.

I still think 10 year olds should be actively monitored, just don't need to be IN the water with them at all times. Not in water with a current, but these sorts of community lakes, sure.

Plus, fewer terror inducing moments promote more time in the water which promotes good swimming skills.

Does CP have any lifeguards on duty?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #45
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
...Does CP have any lifeguards on duty?
The OP?
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #46
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really sad to hear this story. This sort of thing happens all too frequently.

A few weeks ago we were on vacation in Ontario near Kingston. About a kilometer from our cabin there was a multiple drowning while we were there. Two men and a boy were out in a canoe fishing at about 8:30 pm and ended up catching a fish, then standing up and capsizing the canoe. The kid was 3 years old and wearing a floatation shirt (not a life jacket), the other two were not wearing life jackets.

The two men drowned, the boy survived. This all happened in a bay that was about 150m wide, and at most 6-7 feet deep. Alcohol was involved, and I can only assume neither man knew how to swim and panicked.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #47
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truly terrible news.

As I learned all too quickly last year, it really doesn't take much at all to take out a young kid. Our 7rd old was out in the lake when a small boat wake came in, the pull from the waves and the wave height itself was enough to just take him quietly under - he wasn't out too deep at all, (or so I thought), but the combination of factors meant it went from good fun to me sprinting into the lake to pull him up in a literal split second. Thankfully I was watching my kids, but as pointed out, it isn't some big dramatic production when a kid is in serious trouble.

Thanks for posting that article, it was a really good read.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #48
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Really sad to hear this story. This sort of thing happens all too frequently.

A few weeks ago we were on vacation in Ontario near Kingston. About a kilometer from our cabin there was a multiple drowning while we were there. Two men and a boy were out in a canoe fishing at about 8:30 pm and ended up catching a fish, then standing up and capsizing the canoe. The kid was 3 years old and wearing a floatation shirt (not a life jacket), the other two were not wearing life jackets.

The two men drowned, the boy survived. This all happened in a bay that was about 150m wide, and at most 6-7 feet deep. Alcohol was involved, and I can only assume neither man knew how to swim and panicked.
Adults who don't know how to swim and go into water without life jackets are some sorts of clueless. Bringing a child along with them is even more jaw droppingly irresponsible.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #49
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Adults who don't know how to swim and go into water without life jackets are some sorts of clueless. Bringing a child along with them is even more jaw droppingly irresponsible.
Many drowning victims are fine swimmers. It's usually alcohol, panic, etc that leads to drowning
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #50
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

apparently caleb (the boy who drown) goes to the same day care as my daughter.

my heart goes out to caleb's family.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #51
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Many drowning victims are fine swimmers. It's usually alcohol, panic, etc that leads to drowning
I always assumed it was injuries of some sort that cause people who can swim to drown in open water. Assuming that they're within swimming distance to shore or a boat of course.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #52
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
I always assumed it was injuries of some sort that cause people who can swim to drown in open water. Assuming that they're within swimming distance to shore or a boat of course.
Poor assumption. There are many reasons why strong swimmers can still drown.
- Alcohol
- Panic
- Exhaustion

A related article. I don't know how credible any of their facts are, but some of the conclusions are likely right regardless.

http://alternative-doctor.com/news-s...rong-swimmers/
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #53
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Last summer my wife and I were swimming in a lake and there was a floating dock about 50-75 yards out. Because I'm a man-child, I challenged her immediately to a race. Once I lost, I began my swim-of-shame back to shore. It's not like I was unable to breathe or even that my limbs were overly sore, but suddenly for a moment I lost buoyancy and sunk just enough to submerge my face. It was kind of a "oh... so that's how that happens" moment. I can imagine having to swim 200 yards and feeling pretty confident, but then things just don't end well.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #54
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah can see that. I had a moment like that once where I was pretty far out from shore and felt like I was getting exhausted which actually scared me quite a bit. I just flipped on my back and lightly kicked myself the rest of the way but I could see it becoming an issue.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #55
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just flipped on my back and lightly kicked myself the rest of the way but I could see it becoming an issue.
Yep -- my dad was a lifeguard in his twenties and this was the number one thing he taught me about 'not drowning' when I was a kid. If you're too tired or think you're drowning just get on your back, because you'll float right up with very little effort and can stay that way for hours if you need to.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #56
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
If you're too tired or think you're drowning just get on your back, because you'll float right up with very little effort and can stay that way for hours if you need to.
I quite literally could not float on my back to save my life.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #57
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
floating in one spot is one thing but if you start kicking your feet staying afloat should be pretty easy.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #58
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yep -- my dad was a lifeguard in his twenties and this was the number one thing he taught me about 'not drowning' when I was a kid. If you're too tired or think you're drowning just get on your back, because you'll float right up with very little effort and can stay that way for hours if you need to.
I had an incident back in the late 1990's where the house boat I was on left me in the middle of the Shuswap lake as they failed to do a head count before moving on to a different location. It took them 20 minutes to realise they left me behind. The longest 20 minutes of treading water and floating on my back.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #59
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
You don't even really need to float on your back. Body types dictate buoyancy but typically your average body is buoyant. Usually the only people that will struggle with buoyancy is muscular people.

If you take a breath, tilt your head like you are looking straight up, you can actually bob up and down in the water with enough of your face sticking out to stay breathing even with your feet underneath you.

Obviously this would only work in relatively calm waters but you can stay that way for quite some time without moving a muscle.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #60
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
floating in one spot is one thing but if you start kicking your feet staying afloat should be pretty easy.
I think this would depend on the wave situation. Nice calm body of water sure no problem but if waves are rolling and going over your head it could become very difficult.

Two weeks ago I swam out to a floating dock with my kids, not very far maybe 75 yards. Both kids in good life jackets me nothing. I have a bum shoulder right now and a minute or so into the swim I realized this was a bad idea. The way there wasn't so bad but after playing around for 10 or 15 minutes we decided to go back. By this time I could barely move my shoulder. A buddy swam with my son but I took my daughter and was doing ok with the one arm side stroke until a bunch of boats went by and the wakes became very difficult to swim in. It felt like it took 3 or 4 times the effort just stay above water. I struggled through it but could not believe how completely exhausted I was from the few minutes. I was very thankful for the rope coming off of the end of the dock.

I definitely don't helicopter parent but around water I make sure to be pretty close to my kids. But as my 6 year old gets older and braver it becomes harder and harder to do so. They can be all over the place in a blink of an eye. And some times that's all it takes.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote