Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Guest1

Default Drowning at Auburn Bay Lake

I heard that a 7 year old little boy was pulled from the lake unconscious. Someone told me that he has passed away.
And it's Drowning Prevention week
http://globalnews.ca/news/2130736/yo...ke-in-calgary/

Last edited by Puxlut; 07-24-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confirmed by Dawn Walton of CTV.

Dawn Walton @CTVdawnwalton
Child dies after being pulled from Auburn Lake fw.to/S9mSeRL #yyc

Quote:
A seven-year-old boy has died in hospital after he was pulled unconscious from a community lake on Friday evening. Emergency crews were called to Auburn Lake in the city’s southeast at about 6:40 p.m. Police say the child was at the lake with family and was unconscious when he was recovered from the water. The boy was taken to the South Health Campus in critical condition and died a short time later. Police are investigating.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

A parents worst nightmare.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
Guest1

Drowning is preventable.

I hate to seem callous in a horrific situation... but where were the parents? ALL children should be supervised around water.

Last edited by Puxlut; 07-24-2015 at 11:06 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #5
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Drowning is preventable.

I hate to seem callous in a horrific situation... but where were the parents? ALL children should be supervised around water. I can't think of a situation where it wasn't the parents fault. I hope I'm proven wrong.
You should hate to say that. What a disgusting allegation.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too soon Puxlut. Not 4 hours after.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
Guest1

Unless it was a medical condition. If she drowned because she couldn't swim well enough to do a self rescue, the parents were lacking in sufficient water supervision. If that is the case, they will have to deal with that for the rest of their lives.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #8
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Drowning is preventable.

I hate to seem callous in a horrific situation... but where were the parents? ALL children should be supervised around water. I can't think of a situation where it wasn't the parents fault. I hope I'm proven wrong.
People make mistakes, get distracted, have mental lapses. I am certain they never in a million years wished for this. Their lives are forever altered in a horrible way.

I get you are some sort of professional competitive lifeguard, and are probably hyper aware around water.... but you really need to be more sensitive in your choice of words. For all you know, they are a poster here. And yes, they will probably blame themselves for the rest of their life, with or without your comment.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
Guest1

I'm just angry that a little boy drowned. Period. Again: Drowning is preventable.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #10
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Drowning is preventable.

Can we wait until an investigation is complete before jumping on the parents fault train? I don't know if you are a parent, but as one myself there is enough fear of this stuff in my head. No not the drowning part, but the fear of regret.

Anyways, we have no idea what the story is. "Mom can I go get a snack in the club house?" "Mom can I go look at the tennis court?" "Mom can I go over to the playground on to play on the swings"

Child heads over and sees a friend who asks them to swim in the water with them.

All I am saying is let's get the pitchforks out if/when the time is right. Saying this stuff at this point is unnecessary.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #11
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
All I am saying is let's get the pitchforks out if/when the time is right. Saying this stuff at this point is unnecessary.
Even if the parent was at fault, what is the need for the pitch forks?

I am sure all the blame gamers want the parent to feel horrible, and ashamed. If it is, or isn't their fault, you will all get your wish, and they will have years of torment. Awesome!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 11:10 PM   #12
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a brutal day. The motorcyclist early this morning, the young mom at Garden Rd, possibly her 2 month old may not make it, another person from their car also critical and now this little boy. These poor families.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think an important thing here is to learn from this to prevent future occurrances. So the message that drowning is preventable is an important message to get out here.

We are about a year out from when the father died in Sikome lake because he couldn't swim.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #14
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Even if the parent was at fault, what is the need for the pitch forks?

I am sure all the blame gamers want the parent to feel horrible, and ashamed. If it is, or isn't their fault, you will all get your wish, and they will have years of torment. Awesome!
I was being tongue in cheek. I don't think anyone deserves the pile on in a situation like this. I know I wouldn't appreciate it.

My point was to say "look before you pile on and lecture, let the facts come out" I want no part in judging anyone in this situation. My biggest fear is it happens to myself and I have to live with it.

I think people critical of this need to understand this is a private mixed use area. I grew up in a lake community myself. There is plenty of areas away from the water. This isn't a pool where the primary use is water. Many parents may be there to primarily swim or not. There are many factors that would lead a parent to feel their child was ok and away from the water.

Anyways, just understand I am on the non judgemental side. The only thing O care about is the poor parents. My heart goes out to them.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #15
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just angry that a little boy drowned. Period. Again: Drowning is preventable.
So are motorcycle accidents, children that accidentally hung themselves in trees, children that break into medicine cabinets, children that commit suicide.....

These are all examples from my parents support group of parents that have lost children. They themselves have suffered the loss of two, neither case was their anything to blame themselves for, and neither case could they have prevented it. But no amount of counselling or therapy, will ever convince them otherwise. They were my siblings, and I will never stop asking "What could I have done to change things?" myself. Things as stupid as sending a text message or making a phone call at a specific point when I thought of it. Maybe that would have prevented it. Like a butterfly effect.

These parents suffer for their entire lives, with or without blaming. Your comment was very callous and insensitive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #16
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Drowning is preventable.
So is pretty much every God damn thing if you never go outside.

Come on.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #17
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That lake has a very dangerous section where the shallow part just drops right by the first house's property line. This is the SW part. I was shocked to see it with so little warning etc. and could see a parent fall in to a false sense of security with how the rest of the lake is. That beach shouldn't go so close to that drop.

So sorry for the kid and the family...can't even imagine...tragic.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:15 AM   #18
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Drowning is preventable.
We aren't fish(and even they can drown), we can drown in a bath tub. accidents do happen and will continue to happen, all one can do is try and minimize risks.

Sad day today for a lot of family's around Calgary.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:15 AM   #19
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently drowning is the leading cause of accidental death for kids under 5.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #20
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ugh..
Last May, i was given the blessing of a lifetime when my son was born. Wasn't long after that I realized there were strings attached - so many strings, and one of the biggest ones was the inability to ever look at most of the world the same way. Stories like this I used to skim over, probably didn't even read the full headline lot of the time (not an #######, just didn't enjoy reading morbid stuff that didn't concern me).

Now everything is a danger, and my little guy is so happy, energetic and curious that the pressure of providing him a safe environment to explore, learn and grow in seems to grow daily.

Not gonna pile on puxslut here, but I would recommend this be a situation where you perhaps hold back your initial reaction and try to process the event from
Different angles.. I'm sure the entire family realizes drowning is preventable.. But I am also sure, in fact I guarantee that whatever "anger" you feel towards this situation doesn't just fail to match the sorrow/regret/confusion/anger/literally every other emotion bundled together that the family is feeling, it's orders of magnitude lower.

So ####ty. :/ hope the family is ok