Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Had the guys at Copper Brook Cabinets install a media unit. Fits my new 70" TV perfectly... lost 1.5" from the design so I was a bit worried. Great for watching Dora the Explorer. I need to get some bookshelf speakers and run the wire through the cabinets but I will wait for a bit before doing that. This thing is huge though!

Before kick plate and fillers. This was take at night with my iphone but they are off white to match my baseboards.

Great built in. The picture reminded me of this video haha:

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Why is it so damn hard to get a drywaller in to give me a ceiling quote? I don't even care if they have a 2 month backlog I just need a damn quote to plan finances.

Out of the 4 guys I've contacted, 3 keep saying "they'll get ahold of me when they're available for a quote", and the one that showed up looked at it, left, and never gave me a quote and won't respond to my emails.

I'm not a horrible dude or anything! There's only one bulkhead, it's like a 12 hour job tops.
Oh man! I know this frustration. I have some pretty easy patching and finishing of 1 bulk head one closet and some minor stuff. I have had 4 guys come and say they will give me a quote some even give the quote and then just disappear. I thought it was because I was in Cochrane but apparently it is a drywaller thing in general
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #23
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm literally this > < close to just trying to do it myself, which I'm sure will be a lot of fun but I'm really at wits end on this. I just want to finish my home theatre damnit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone hung wallpaper before? How difficult is it? If I wanted to get divorced should I ask my wife to help out?

Last edited by red sky; 12-10-2013 at 01:36 PM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just bought a house and it has a built-in unit for an ancient ass TV. Like seriously, a 40" tv that must have been about 3 feet deep. What a pain in the ass.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We just bought a house and it has a built-in unit for an ancient ass TV. Like seriously, a 40" tv that must have been about 3 feet deep. What a pain in the ass.
One day, someone will say that about my built-ins.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One day, someone will say that about my built-ins.
Negative. I have seen the future.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
How much did that built-in unit run? Normally do all my own work, but considering hiring the built-ins that I need to a sub.
Also curious about the cost. Maybe I will do a large built in instead of fighting with my drywall.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #29
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

PM'd
Old 12-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm literally this > < close to just trying to do it myself, which I'm sure will be a lot of fun but I'm really at wits end on this. I just want to finish my home theatre damnit.
Don't do it man, you'll take years off your life through drywall dust, frustration, and your non happy wife.

As someone who did an entire basement reno and thought "pfff how hard can taping/mudding be?" ... the answer is:

"VERY ####ING HARD"

I joke around that the whole reason I sold that house and moved was because of the drywall job I did in the basement... secretly I'm only half kidding.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #31
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Don't do it man, you'll take years off your life through drywall dust, frustration, and your non happy wife.

As someone who did an entire basement reno and thought "pfff how hard can taping/mudding be?" ... the answer is:

"VERY ####ING HARD"

I joke around that the whole reason I sold that house and moved was because of the drywall job I did in the basement... secretly I'm only half kidding.
Everyday I look at my basement knowing this but it is impossible to get someone in to do it! Everyday I procrastinate longer hoping it drywalls itself
Old 12-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the only logical solution here is to make some kind of "strangers on a train" pact, wherein we drywall each others basements and pretend we know what we're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #33
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think the only logical solution here is to make some kind of "strangers on a train" pact, wherein we drywall each others basements and pretend we know what we're doing.
I am just throwing this out there there is a keg of beer located in a kegerator right beside the walls that need to be drywalled! There is no way of telling how much beer may disappear from said keg while drywalling is being completed.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Never drywalled before but I am confident that the more I drink, the better it will get.
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #35
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Never drywalled before but I am confident that the more I drink, the better it will get.
It worked with electrical and flooring I don't see why it wouldn't work with drywalling!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #36
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

The worst part of the whole thing was that while I was reno'ing that basement we were having renovations done at the office as well. I watched a pro load up mud on two different trowels and casually walk down a newly drywalled hallway holding each trowel against a wall and he did a better job in 10 seconds than I could do in 10 hours.... I mean that ####### barely had to sand.

It got really demoralizing fast... so if you guys attempt it, take lots of pictures for me.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #37
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good company that does spray foam insulation? Looking to do my storage room and utility room.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #38
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Can anyone recommend a good company that does spray foam insulation? Looking to do my storage room and utility room.
http://www.atomikgroup.ca/

Incidentally, they also do drywall.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #39
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
How easily does baseboard come off? Do I just grab a crowbarÉ
I'd recommend using a North American crowbar instead. These french ones you speak of just throw in the towel part way through.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #40
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Speaking of crowbars. My good one has mysteriously disappeared during the renovation process along with like 20 screw drivers. I am quite curious to know how many of those are now safely stowed behind a wall or in the ceiling. Anyone else have a little tool steeling elf in their homes?