Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #81
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

How have they not engaged in criminal harassment of this guy? His case against them would be more compelling than the garbage they're using.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #82
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if a jaded woman decides you have a “creepy glint” in your eye you are instantly classified as a threat to women? Sigh.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #83
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Unless there is more to this case than reported, I can't see how the Crown would ever decide to prosecute it. Weak.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...the-same-cloth

On Wednesday night, planning to attend the trial, I emailed a colleague to ask what she thought of alleged victim and alleged perp.

My colleague is a brilliant observer of the human condition and replied with this: “I think they should marry each other.”

I had no idea what that meant until I saw Mr. Elliott and Ms. Guthrie in action: They are cut from the same cloth, sure that every thought that flits into their heads ought to be expressed; prolific tweeters (if not so much as one of the other alleged victims, who has sent out almost 170,000 tweets, which is roughly one per breath), and what my old friend Moose calls high maintenance.

Last edited by troutman; 07-16-2015 at 10:36 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #84
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The part where these women gathered to actively plan their shaming campaign is really the most damning part for me, as it points to something that has been feared but thought unreasonable.

SJW:s using feminism as a weapon is less like a beast out of control, and more like nuclear weapons we have handed over to schoolyard bullies and mean girls of the world.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #85
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Unless there is more to this case than reported, I can't see how the Crown would ever decide prosecute it. Weak.
Three alternative explanations come to mind:

1) The prosecutors sees a career opportunity. A very public case, indirectly advocating for one of the largest political interest groups right now.

2) The prosecutor fears repercussions if she throws the case out. These are women proven to be spiteful, petty and actively trying to destroy people's careers. A prosecutors career is vulnerable to attacks on reputation, and we know the court of social media needs no proof.

3) Putting the case to court opens up much better possibilities of countercharges for harassment...
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #86
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow. This is an exceedingly rare example of where:
1) The slipperly slope argument actually works. They are aready half way down the slope if this is considered harassment. As noted, any contrary position could be considered harassment; and
2) both free speech advocates and harassment victims stand to lose in this one. I am sure there are many examples of twitter actions that could be reasonably seen as harassment, and this case made it to trial? Why wouldn't the first trial be one where, you know, an actual threat was uttered? Brutal.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #87
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good article on how this is getting out of hand

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/30/9074865...er-mob-justice
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #88
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote