Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #281
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we also deal with this "being triggered" part? Is this just another word for "upset"?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #282
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Can we also deal with this "being triggered" part? Is this just another word for "upset"?
Nope.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #283
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ehhh...it's not quite that simple, but the word has been unfortunately appropriated by people who don't actually understand what it is. It's pretty sad because there are people who are legitimately triggered by things and it can cause a variety of problems, like full-blown panic attacks for instance. In people with PTSD the body actually physically responds to triggers.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #284
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
http://www.itv.com/news/2015-05-12/t...g-lost-mother/
Infuriating doesn't begin to describe this.
Messed up prank, but super classy girl.

Quote:
Thank you for the enormous show of support regarding the 'Mother’s Day show'. I am sure there was no harm intended and I had fun on the show.

– AUTUMN ALLEN
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #285
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Ehhh...it's not quite that simple, but the word has been unfortunately appropriated by people who don't actually understand what it is. It's pretty sad because there are people who are legitimately triggered by things and it can cause a variety of problems, like full-blown panic attacks for instance. In people with PTSD the body actually physically responds to triggers.
Okay, well in that case it is either being used overbroadly or it's founded on a misunderstanding of neuroscience... the physical manifestations of psychological trauma are fundamentally different from problems with brain chemistry associated with things like bipolar disorder and anxiety disorders that are the product of genetics...

In other words, it doesn't make any sense to say "someone started talking about Ovid and suddenly my brain lost the ability to properly release serotonin, leading to an attack".

It's really good that mental health is becoming less stigmatized but the actual understanding of these conditions hasn't followed suit. Now people feel more comfortable talking about it, but it's producing misinformation and misunderstandings. For example, someone who has a condition that produces anxiety attacks may be "triggered" in that way, but it's not substance-based usually and makes little sense. Someone honking a horn at you while driving is more what we're talking about here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #286
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, well in that case it is either being used overbroadly or it's founded on a misunderstanding of neuroscience... the physical manifestations of psychological trauma are fundamentally different from problems with brain chemistry associated with things like bipolar disorder and anxiety disorders that are the product of genetics...

In other words, it doesn't make any sense to say "someone started talking about Ovid and suddenly my brain lost the ability to properly release serotonin, leading to an attack".

It's really good that mental health is becoming less stigmatized but the actual understanding of these conditions hasn't followed suit. Now people feel more comfortable talking about it, but it's producing misinformation and misunderstandings.
Oh, I completely agree. It's more that triggers can induce panic, or cause you to go into fight or flight mode, but the way in which many progressives use the word really trivializes how awful the whole experience is.

The other weird thing is, if you talk to people who actually suffer from PTSD or anxiety disorders, triggers are usually pretty benign things and you just kind of have to learn to live with them. For instance, with me, the sound of a key turning in a door lock is a trigger. Doesn't matter where I am, if I hear that sound, my heart immediately starts to pound and my mind starts racing. That said, it's pretty easy to see how that could happen to victims of assault if they were listening to graphic descriptions of other assaults. I'm just not sure why you'd put yourself in that position.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #287
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...ncer-1.1933987

Stuff like this is pretty much all the proof I need that there is no God, or if there is he/she is a complete sadist. #### cancer.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #288
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, well in that case it is either being used overbroadly or it's founded on a misunderstanding of neuroscience.
Both, as it happens.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #289
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For instance, with me, the sound of a key turning in a door lock is a trigger. Doesn't matter where I am, if I hear that sound, my heart immediately starts to pound and my mind starts racing.
Do you know why?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #290
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
An ultra-Orthodox Jewish man stabbed six gay pride marchers in Jerusalem Thursday — weeks after completing a 10-year sentence for knifing three people at the same event in 2005, authorities said.
Yishai Shlissel — released from prison just three weeks ago — had posted a message online about the “abomination” of
http://nypost.com/2015/07/30/ultra-o...ade-in-israel/

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #291
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Holy ****. Looking at the other photos in the series the guy's lucky he didn't get shot.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #292
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So this kind of thing is serious. It has basically turned into "being upset." For example, putting trigger warnings on various pieces of Western literature and philosophy because the contents may be offensive or trigger certain groups of people.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #293
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
So this kind of thing is serious. It has basically turned into "being upset." For example, putting trigger warnings on various pieces of Western literature and philosophy because the contents may be offensive or trigger certain groups of people.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Too many well-meaning (or maybe not) have adopted it and are applying it in situations that trivialize a very serious problem.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #294
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Too many well-meaning (or maybe not) have adopted it and are applying it in situations that trivialize a very serious problem.
In grad school, we had students complain about Aristotle's Politics because it discussed women as subservient to men, and said that slavery was natural.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #295
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Old 08-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #296
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

I don't know why I venture into threads like the Patrick Kane one in the FOI forum. Multiple people in there posting things that make me:

- shake my head
- vomit in my mouth a little
- lose faith in humanity
- all of the above
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antithesis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #297
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
What exactly is your problem with this?
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #298
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It is easier to put on a sweater then take your shirt off?
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #299
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
It is easier to put on a sweater then take your shirt off?
Heh, yep. There are a ton of layers they can put on without a problem. There's only so many that can be taken off before it starts getting awkward and the cops are called.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #300
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's also much easier to keep working while cold than hot. Our office often hits 28°C (yay Strategic Property Management!) And I just end up staring at the monitor, trying to figure out what I should be doing... My brain just doesn't work at those temps. When it hits 17°C I put a sweater on and drink tea and get lots done.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: