Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #261
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/30/9074865...er-mob-justice

Quote:
Mob justice is not justice

One of the reasons we have a justice system is to punish criminals for wrongdoing, both to serve the abstract ideal of justice and to deter future criminal acts. The idea is that if you are considering committing a crime, you will understand that the justice system has a high probability of catching you and enacting a certain punishment.

Mob justice does not accomplish this, and often does the opposite. One of the biggest reasons is that it is applied extremely inconsistently, even randomly.

The internet mob just so happened to avenge this particular case of a hunter seemingly illegally killing a rare wild animal, but not other cases. Defenders of the anti-Palmer campaign argue that this is irrelevant: Palmer did something wrong and deserves to be punished regardless of whether other people also did something wrong.

But that misunderstands how justice, mob or formal, is supposed to work. It treats justice as a sort of random lightning bolt from the sky; one is reminded of the vengeful but arbitrary gods of Greek or Roman lore. If you are a would-be big-game poacher, the lesson you might draw is not that poaching will be punished, but rather that poaching is permissible as long as it only kills animals that are not likely to become beloved on social media. Indeed, that seems to be the lesson that Palmer himself has drawn from the backlash: In a recent statement he apologized for killing a lion "who was a known, local favorite," not for hunting lions in general.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-31-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #262
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
^ edit: cheddar beat me to first reason. Not half joking.
Because there was no wealthy grinning a-hole American to point the finger at?
It could have been a walthy, grinning Russian, Chinese person, Canadian, Australian, Kenyan...

But the human name thing is what made this one news. The existence of poachers, especially of elephants for ivory tusks, is hardly new. If someone had poached a specific and famous elephant, we'd see a similar response.

At the very least, the outrage over Cecil's death is generating donations to legitimate conservation groups (and which PETA is attempting to leech off of to distract money from real animal welfare groups to their own pockets), that might help (temporarily) improve efforts for many breeds of animal.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #263
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Why worry about the lion when there are billions of people living in hunger and poverty?
Because viewing world issues as either/or scenarios is a classic hallmark of blind idiocy?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #264
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Let me rephrase my question:

Why worry about the lion when there are billions of people living in hunger and poverty?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:46 AM   #265
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Raise your vibration!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #266
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Green text? Sarcasm or trolling?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #267
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because that's just another level of saying "Why donate money around the world for tsunami relief and other aid funds when there's people starving in Canada?" Or "why allow people to immigrate here when we have unemployed/homeless Canadians here?" It's not one vs. the other.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 12:49 PM   #268
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Raise your vibration!

That's amazing. A lion, who spent his entire life in the African wilderness, somehow managed to learn and speak high-level English in a mere few days since his death. The afterlife must be pretty neat.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #269
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Raise your vibration!

Cecil is surprisingly articulate given that he has had no formal education.

Beaten by SureLoss ( oops Rube Cube)

Last edited by Circa89; 07-31-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: too slow
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #270
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Oh, so you were just trying to distract the topic needlessly with pointless, what... trolling?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #271
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Yes, I was being sarcastic because someone else compared it to drones or whatever.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #272
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I find the numbers game entirely morally unsatisfying in all cases where death is concerned. Whether there are fifty million lions or one, it couldn't possibly make me care more about that life than a human being's.

Similarly, and maybe more poignantly, the number of humans alive doesn't somehow devalue human life. If there were ten billion of us instead of seven, that would not make your life less valuable. People are not a commodity.
I think that you're too quick to dismiss the idea of measuring the value of human life versus the value of animal (or even plant) life (especially in our current circumstances where humanity poses serious threat to thousands of other species.)

For example, let's frame the discussion in a classic moral dilrmma: the railway man. A train carrying x number of lions is hurtling down the tracks. At some point, the tracks diverge: one path leads to a brick wall (and certain death for all of the lions on board the train) and the other path leads to a clear path with one human being tied to the track (certain death for him or her if the train is diverted to that track.) What should the railway man (responsible for choosing which track the train should proceed on) do? Morally, what number of lion lives equal one human life? What if evrey last lion (30,000) is on the train and only one (of 7 billion humans) is on the track?

At some point, surely, it becomes a difficult decision for the railway man.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #273
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...wean-park.html

Quote:
Cecil the lion's brother Jericho has been shot dead by poachers in a park in Zimbabwe.
The beloved animal was protecting Cecil's lion cubs after he was shot dead by Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer earlier this month, sparking outrage around the world.
Jericho is believed to have been gunned down during an illegal hunting operation in Hwange National Park on Saturday afternoon during.
Johnny Rodrigues, Chairman for Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, said in a statement: 'It is with great sadness and regret that we report that Jericho was shot dead at 4pm this afternoon.
Jerico top.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #274
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unreal. I'm at a loss for words.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #275
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #276
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you ####### kidding me??? God people suck..

EDIT: And false social media reports. As convenient as "instant news" is in this era, the integrity of the medium certainly isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-01-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #277
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Researcher monitoring says he is still alive

Quote:
The brother of Cecil, the lion killed in Zimbabwe by an American hunter last month, is not dead, a researcher monitoring the pride told Reuters, contradicting media reports that Jericho had been killed.

"He looks alive and well to me as far as I can tell," said Brent Stapelkamp, field researcher for the Hwange Lion Research Project which is monitoring the lion with a GPS tag.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...Name=worldNews
Old 08-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #278
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

nm
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #279
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kill two birds with one stone. Let the wealthy dentists hunt poor starving people. Much more challenging than killing defenseless animals and helps world hunger. Everybody wins.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #280
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something smells really rotten here. Fat chance another poacher could kill the brother after Zimbabwe went nuts over the last one. I have a feeling we are missing some serious information here.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote