Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #2321
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just opened this morning. Enjoy.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #2322
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
It just opened this morning. Enjoy.
Fantastic. We'll check that out this weekend.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #2323
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new St. Patrick's Island is pretty sweet. Nice and natural with lots of leisurely exploring opportunities. The beach area and swimming hole is great for kids. The sledding hill is going to be awesome in the winter. The playground and picnic area is pretty cool although I think the playground lacks structures and play elements. In this day and age I'm also pretty surprised that they didn't make a play structure that is wheelchair accessible. I certainly like the new park and we'll probably visit fairly regularly as an alternative to Prince's Island.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #2324
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the review, will check it out.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #2325
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you bring kids and intend to let them wade in the water at the "beach" on St. Patrick's island, you might want crocs or swim shoes - there's no sand at all, just rocks, which is really hard on the feet. The playground has a bunch of metal slides, but with the sun/heat today, it made them super hot and my daughter was burned a bit going down one (she was wearing a dress and it wasn't tucked under her on the way down). She wasn't hurt, but she didn't want to go down any of the other ones after that. I'd say the play structures are better for age 4+, my daughter is 3.5 and some of the stuff (rope ladders) were just too high/scary for her. I think more than anything, I'm just so impressed with the whole East Village setup - the Simmons building is great right on the pathway, the new Island, all of the condos going up.... it's looking good over there.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #2326
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
If you bring kids and intend to let them wade in the water at the "beach" on St. Patrick's island, you might want crocs or swim shoes - there's no sand at all, just rocks, which is really hard on the feet. The playground has a bunch of metal slides, but with the sun/heat today, it made them super hot and my daughter was burned a bit going down one (she was wearing a dress and it wasn't tucked under her on the way down). She wasn't hurt, but she didn't want to go down any of the other ones after that. I'd say the play structures are better for age 4+, my daughter is 3.5 and some of the stuff (rope ladders) were just too high/scary for her. I think more than anything, I'm just so impressed with the whole East Village setup - the Simmons building is great right on the pathway, the new Island, all of the condos going up.... it's looking good over there.
My kids always have water shoes because we go down to the rivers a lot and the rocks can be really slick.

East Village is going to be spectacular. It is coming along nicely. My dad lived in the East Village and he was really excited about the redevelopment. He really would have been impressed with what has happened so far. He died about 2.5 years ago and didn't get to see any of the new construction.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #2327
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The streetlight situation in this city is getting ridiculous. There are so many areas where it's more a question of how many lights are working vs how many not working. 14th st north past nose hill is basically devoid of light. There's multiple streets in our neighborhood with one working light on the whole street. I've submitted 311 requests that just stay open and unanswered. What's the deal with this, it's never been this bad.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #2328
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Enmax working hard
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #2329
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
The streetlight situation in this city is getting ridiculous. There are so many areas where it's more a question of how many lights are working vs how many not working. 14th st north past nose hill is basically devoid of light. There's multiple streets in our neighborhood with one working light on the whole street. I've submitted 311 requests that just stay open and unanswered. What's the deal with this, it's never been this bad.
It's a pilot for new solar powered streetlights
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #2330
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man I feel so bad for these people.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/midfield-m...180623296.html

Quote:
Several residents of the Midfield Mobile Home trailer park say they have become the prey to shady people trying to take advantage of their plight and fleece them of their money.
Quote:
The plan involved charging residents a $160,000 consulting fee and have them sign over their rent cheques, which would go towards building a new park in Conrich — a hamlet about three kilometres east of the city.
He's also heard from a "Saskatchewan developer," among others.
"They're all after our money."
The residents have been through an emotional roller-coaster ride with the city's plans for the park.
Initially, residents were promised they would get a new park and everyone could move their trailers to it. The city has since changed the plans and said it's now closing the park in 2017.
Residents have three years to find a new place on their own. They've been offered counselling services, a $10,000 lump sum and $10,000 towards their moving costs.
Nice to see our lovely mayor and council screwing over at risk seniors on a fixed income to make a quick buck. What an bunch of donkeys.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #2331
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Man I feel so bad for these people.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/midfield-m...180623296.html

Nice to see our lovely mayor and council screwing over at risk seniors on a fixed income to make a quick buck. What an bunch of donkeys.
I feel bad for these people to, but just out of curiosity (I haven't really kept up to date on that issue), what is the solution you would propose?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #2332
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I feel bad for these people to, but just out of curiosity (I haven't really kept up to date on that issue), what is the solution you would propose?
I would stick to the committment the city has already made and people there planned for when buying a place.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #2333
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure it's as clear-cut as this. Kudos on your objectiveness.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #2334
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I would stick to the committment the city has already made and people there planned for when buying a place.
Correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe they "own" the land their home sits on. They rent it, and like any landlord/renter agreement the landlord can with due notice cancel the agreement.

Isnt there a park they could move their homes to outside of Stoney Trail? I seem to remember reading that somewhere and that residents didnt like that because who would like being moved from desired inner-city to suburban wasteland.

IMHO the city is being more than generous with these people offering them 10K payment and 10K moving fees when they are renters.

Its not the cities problem that people chose to enact permanent structures or not proceed with the upkeep of their homes to keep them mobile.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #2335
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe they "own" the land their home sits on. They rent it, and like any landlord/renter agreement the landlord can with due notice cancel the agreement.

Isnt there a park they could move their homes to outside of Stoney Trail? I seem to remember reading that somewhere and that residents didnt like that because who would like being moved from desired inner-city to suburban wasteland.

IMHO the city is being more than generous with these people offering them 10K payment and 10K moving fees when they are renters.

Its not the cities problem that people chose to enact permanent structures or not proceed with the upkeep of their homes to keep them mobile.
There is a small one but all mobile home parks are full. Considering it costs 100k minimum to buy one these people are going to be out a lot of money as a mobile home without a spot to put it is worthless. I don't think the places look too bad. I went there for a yard sale and they seemed to be in decent shape. It is the city owned sewer and water lines that the city has just let decay without any fix.

Talking to some of the seniors there they said they don't mind moving to the original planned location (where the city sold the land to developers to build a wal mart). I don't think they care where they go but I think most of them fear being out so much money when they are pensioners on a fixed income.

One young couple there just purchased their home and moved in the day before the city decided to pull the plug on the movement plan. They were told if they bought a place by the city then they would be moved to the new location. Heres the thing; to buy one of these places they had to be APPROVED for purchase by the city of Calgary. Who in turn decided they would turn around and change their minds and pull the rug out.

As far as I know you cannot get a mortgage on one of these places and people paid cash for their places.

Regardless I don't have a vested interest but it's a shame this city treats its citizens this way.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #2336
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
There is a small one but all mobile home parks are full. Considering it costs 100k minimum to buy one these people are going to be out a lot of money as a mobile home without a spot to put it is worthless. I don't think the places look too bad. I went there for a yard sale and they seemed to be in decent shape. It is the city owned sewer and water lines that the city has just let decay without any fix.

Talking to some of the seniors there they said they don't mind moving to the original planned location (where the city sold the land to developers to build a wal mart). I don't think they care where they go but I think most of them fear being out so much money when they are pensioners on a fixed income.

One young couple there just purchased their home and moved in the day before the city decided to pull the plug on the movement plan. They were told if they bought a place by the city then they would be moved to the new location. Heres the thing; to buy one of these places they had to be APPROVED for purchase by the city of Calgary. Who in turn decided they would turn around and change their minds and pull the rug out.

As far as I know you cannot get a mortgage on one of these places and people paid cash for their places.

Regardless I don't have a vested interest but it's a shame this city treats its citizens this way.

Do you own a trailer here, or does a family member? Your lack of objectiveness on this issue seems to indicate a personal agenda...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #2337
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post

Do you own a trailer here, or does a family member? Your lack of objectiveness on this issue seems to indicate a personal agenda...
No sure don't. I own a two storey house with a 3 car garage. That's not really the point.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #2338
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Saying it doesn't look "too bad" is way off. The place is a dump.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #2339
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys, real estate and property law doesn't matter because... well... some people paid cash! Some of them are seniors!

Goodness gracious
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #2340
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
The playground has a bunch of metal slides, but with the sun/heat today, it made them super hot and my daughter was burned a bit going down one (she was wearing a dress and it wasn't tucked under her on the way down). She wasn't hurt, but she didn't want to go down any of the other ones after that.
I just saw on the news that the slides have been permanently closed because of heat build up and some kid getting burned. They said the slides will be closed until they can figure out how to keep the slides cool.

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple