Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 10:44 AM   #14941
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes I mouth breathe and it grinds my gears

I mean I don't think I am a "mouth breather" but my nose has been broken so many times it is hard to breathe some days.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 10:46 AM   #14942
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Podcast hosts who talk about sh1t they haven’t fully researched. Listened to a show on the Natalee Holloway story and the co-host starts talking about Aruba where she was murdered. He didn’t know the basics about Aruba, such as where it is and that it’s Dutch. You should at least read the Wikipedia article on Aruba to prepare.
Joe Rogan refutes you post.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 11:11 AM   #14943
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, while vaping is safer than smoking cigarettes, it appears the inverse could be true for THC products. So, it doesn’t just feel like it’s kicking your ass, it is:

I don’t think vapes that use dry herb are considered in the above. But the oil based ones are definitely terrible for you.
This only affected black market juices, one person created a cutting agent using Vitamin E acetate and sold it which was then used to cut black market vape juice mainly THC because it kept the same color and didn't add a flavour that other cutting agents added. Issue was Vitamin E acetate is deadly when vaped, this was never an issue with legit companies though so don't use this as an argument against vapes. They are probably still bad but this was something else.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:24 AM   #14944
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
To chime on the WFH angle. I was at Suncor for over a decade and worked downtown Calgary for the majority of that time. I didn't really realize it but the time I spent commuting, walking to the bathroom, going for coffee etc, was so unproductive and costly.

So when we started working from home (covid) it was a game changer for me. No time or money spent on commuting, no random coffee breaks with someone even though I just had a coffee. And then theres the work life balance. Throw a load of laundry in, have the slow cooker going, see my kid go to school and come home from school. It was amazing.

Then ol Rich Krueger came in as CEO, started letting people go, implemented a hybrid schedule (minimum 3 days a week in the office) and just right back to that old school business model. As soon as he announced the hybrid, I knew it was a matter of time before it was just 100% back to the office. I also knew that was no longer for me.

So while my co-workers and even my boss silently complained, actively did less work, and just generally accepted their misery; I decided it was time to look elsewhere.

Took a little while but got a job outside of O&G that is 90% WFH, and 10% travel to various site locations. Felt like winning the lottery. I've had more than a few Suncor colleagues reach out asking if my current company is hiring etc.

I know WFH may not be for everyone, but I didn't even know that was a thing until covid, and now I just cant see me ever going back to an office setting.

Point is, once you know what works for you just do that. You dont owe any company or employer anything, they have no loyalty to you whatsoever, you are employee # 498626 and thats it.

Now if you're self-employed, thats a different ball game I'm sure.
I hear you completely. I actually enjoy the breaks during the work day as it forces me to take a break and prevents me from burning out. I'm an in the office guy and go in 4 days a week and get approached by people often. If I'm deep in thought on something, I tell them I'll find them after, but a lot of the time, it's a welcome interruption for me at least, to pause, talk about something else or go for a walk and chat about it instead.

One of my bigger annoyances is when I'm in a call and people try to talk to me while I'm on a call. They can't see my screen, so I understand they can't tell that way, but I am assuming they should be able to tell by seeing my ear buds in my ears? I mean, when I see that, I leave the person alone. Really bugs me when I have my ear buds in and people still try to start a convo with me.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:35 AM   #14945
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Again, on the WFH, I still think people need to take a wee step back about extolling it's unlimited virtues.

Its a more nuanced issue than that.

Look at the demographics of this board.

Largely:

- Experienced
- Educated
- Homeowners
- With families

What if you're the 23 year old kid that just graduates? You never see your co-workers in person, never hit the pub?

You don't own your own home and you've got an apartment with unruly roommates who come home at all hours.

For the middle-aged, experienced worker with his own home and family, sure WFH seems like a god-send.

But it isnt for everyone.

That person has their own office, their own home, gets to see their children off-to and home-from school. Its a wonderous experience!

But at one point we make a great deal of our social connections through work? Whats going to be the knock-on effect of removing that?

I'm not saying WFH is bad, not at all, I'm just saying that lets not Canonize it's Sainthood until the real dirt has shaken out.
Yup, totally agree with you here and think it's very beneficial for new joiners to be seen when they're new. For our firm, we have monthly appetizers and alcoholic beverages for the entire office and people come to those to network and get free food and drinks. But during the week, there are some of us (I am one, for example), who will find people in the office that day and take them out for ad hoc happy hour after work. Networking is the obvious benefit here for people who may not already know many people in such a large organization, but especially for new joiners, I think it's hugely valuable for them to get integrated into our culture. I've helped a ton of people I've met at these things get their next role when they finish up their project and are looking for a new one and it's because they met me at these random nights out and will send a message on Teams letting me know they're coming available soon.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:34 PM   #14946
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I much prefer WFH. I usually try and do it 2-3 days a week. It really depends on the type of project I'm working on. Here is some related research on the subject. Yes, it was done by an office furniture manufacturer but their are still some interesting incites in the research.

https://www.steelcase.com/content/up...port_Final.pdf
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #14947
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been work from home since it was announced in the pandemic.

April 2022 I started a new job. I am based out of Toronto.

I work from home

We don't have a physical office in Calgary

Sometimes I wish we did.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2024, 04:42 PM   #14948
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love working from home. I do the drop off and pick up for my 8 year old. I'm home when my MIL picks up my 4 year old for the day and I make my 13 year old a hot lunch when he comes home for his lunch break

Not to mention all the doctor and dentist appointments I am able to take my kids to without taking a day off.

I used to be an office guy and actually enjoyed my bus ride (one hour commute on the 301) to and from work

But after getting a taste of WFH due to the pandemic, I would not take an office job for a raise and/or promotion.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 05:03 PM   #14949
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Strugglers at the front of the traffic line waiting for a green arrow to turn left who take 4-5 seconds to get going, You have one job up there and only one event can occur, be ready and get the f going so the line can move.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 06:39 PM   #14950
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Now with 3x more gears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
Strugglers at the front of the traffic line waiting for a green arrow to turn left who take 4-5 seconds to get going, You have one job up there and only one event can occur, be ready and get the f going so the line can move.

“Why are you in such a rush?”
“You’ll catch the next light.”
“What did that cost you, two whole minutes?”

…and several other bullplop comments the strugglers are about to make.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 07:45 PM   #14951
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
“Why are you in such a rush?”
“You’ll catch the next light.”
“What did that cost you, two whole minutes?”

…and several other bullplop comments the strugglers are about to make.
Man, the ####ers who drive like wasting time in traffic is no biggie so get under my skin man. It’s not about being late, it’s about having better things to do than spend an extra 5 minutes of my life standing still because these dumbasses can’t be bothered to have any situational awareness.
Old 05-04-2024, 08:08 PM   #14952
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Man, the ####ers who drive like wasting time in traffic is no biggie so get under my skin man. It’s not about being late, it’s about having better things to do than spend an extra 2 minutes of my life standing still because these dumbasses can’t be bothered to have any situational awareness.
fyp as noted above
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 08:38 PM   #14953
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

May the fourth memes

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 08:47 PM   #14954
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
May the fourth memes
Yes, very much one of those things that's mildly amusing the first time you hear it, then very quickly becomes annoying.

When Disney actually started using it for marketing, it just flew off the cliff into a canyon of awfulness.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:19 PM   #14955
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

TD Bank. Firebug was right, probate easy, bank useless. Somehow I got paired up with a bumbling moron. Lost my temper yesterday. It’s the process. Absolute deer in the headlights. Apparently no customer at TDbank has ever died before. Complete moron. The teller knew more but she was black so makes sense why she has a lower position. They start arguing while manger sits there over hearing all this and not helping.

We need a receipt for you paying the tax bill. How about you fata off and mind your own business twat?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:25 PM   #14956
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
TD Bank. Firebug was right, probate easy, bank useless. Somehow I got paired up with a bumbling moron. Lost my temper yesterday. It’s the process. Absolute deer in the headlights. Apparently no customer at TDbank has ever died before. Complete moron. The teller knew more but she was black so makes sense why she has a lower position. They start arguing while manger sits there over hearing all this and not helping.

We need a receipt for you paying the tax bill. How about you fata off and mind your own business twat?
That should earn you a very, very long ban from the site. And hopefully the banks make your life incredibly hard the rest of the way, sounds like it would be deserved.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:41 PM   #14957
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait why are we banning fotze this time? Because he suggested TD is racist and called them incompetent? I must have missed something
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 03:43 PM   #14958
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Wait why are we banning fotze this time? Because he suggested TD is racist and called them incompetent? I must have missed something
Read it again, he said the teller was black and that’s why she had a lower position at TD.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:43 PM   #14959
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
That should earn you a very, very long ban from the site. And hopefully the banks make your life incredibly hard the rest of the way, sounds like it would be deserved.
Think you misunderstood what he was saying. The teller knew more than the manager. That's what I got from that.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2024, 03:44 PM   #14960
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Think you misunderstood what he was saying. The teller knew more than the manager. That's what I got from that.
I’m sure I didn’t. He said the teller was black and that’s why she had a lower position. I can’t think of another interpretation of that.