Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #161
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
I don't think that's the case. He could be loaned for the WJC, but he would be in the NHL for the season as I understand it. No return to Ottawa or assignment to Abbotsford would be possible for the 13-14 season.
really I was under the impression he could be returned to Jr at anytime, it would just burn a year off his ELC after the 9 games. Didn't this happen to Scheiffle last year?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #162
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That appears to be an elite player you got. Wish he'd been around one pick later. He's making it damn hard to send down. I wonder where he would be taken if a redraft was held now. Much higher, I'd think.
I remember looking at the draft projections with 20 games to go last year, and thinking if we didn't get Mackinnon, he's the guy I'd want. Not that I knew anything, but just seemed like there was a good chance a guy playing on a bad team in a more defensive league than the Q was going to be under-rated. As opposed to someone like Drouin playing with MacKinnon in the Q. I don't think it would be a bad bet to bet on Monahan ending up the second best forward in that draft.

I think the question the Flames have to ask is where is he going to develop better. Just seems like all things considered, the OHL might be a wasted year at this point, and he'll be a better player over the next couple years for playing in Calgary this year.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #163
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another reason for him staying up, I believe is he'd be contributing to the success of young players like Baertschi, who needs to play with skilled players like him to succeed. I think they'd be really good for each other's development.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #164
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Monahan is sent back before the 10th game his contract will not slide. He can still be sent back down afterwards. February 10th is the roster deadline for the juniors. Monahan, being drafted out of the CHL, can only be sent down to Ottawa. Sieloff being drafted from the US national development league had no such restrictions and is therefore able to play in the AHL at 19. If he plays less than 10 NHL games his contract will slide, there's no rules about how many AHL games he can play and is also eligible to be sent back to juniors before Feb 10th.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #165
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think there's really an argument anymore. He stays, period.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #166
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
really I was under the impression he could be returned to Jr at anytime, it would just burn a year off his ELC after the 9 games. Didn't this happen to Scheiffle last year?
It happened to Grigerenko last year. If he is not in the NHL this year it will be the chl unless his jr team is knocked out I think he could play for the heat in the playoffs
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #167
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Guys, it'd be absolutely crazy to send him back now. We're just wasting a year of his development. The faster he improves the better for the Flames, plain and simple. He's not going to improve faster anywhere than he will in Calgary.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #168
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I bet moon is going crazy trying to not post in this thread that it is only 4 games and he should be sent back down.

MUST BURST BUBBLES!!!!
Not sure why I'd be going crazy about anything to be honest, but I guess people who have a different opinion have always been called crazy on this board so I shouldn't be surprised.

Monahan has had a point in every game which I'm happy to see, but I'm not going to claim he's the next saviour for this team just because he's had pretty much one good game under his belt of the four and 2 lucky goals being in the right place at the right time.

/moon
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HelloHockeyFans For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #169
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I prefer money hands
I'm recommending Monsterhan.

Last edited by Biff; 10-10-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #170
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monohan solo?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #171
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
Monohan solo?
Because he shot first?
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #172
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It happened to Grigerenko last year. If he is not in the NHL this year it will be the chl unless his jr team is knocked out I think he could play for the heat in the playoffs
Yes I know he can't go to the AHL, but people are claiming he can't be sent down at all after his 9 games and I'm not sure that's true.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #173
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yes I know he can't go to the AHL, but people are claiming he can't be sent down at all after his 9 games and I'm not sure that's true.
He can be sent down to his junior team until Feb.
After 9 NHL games he burns his first year of his ELC.

It would be really silly to burn the year of his ELC and then send him down. You are allowed to do it (until Feb) but I think it would be a complete waste.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #174
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

If Monahan stays up would you be happy to see him miss some Flames games but play in the World Jr Championship?

I would. He wasn't there in 2012 and its a once in a lifetime experience (for some players) and I think it would do him the world of good with respect to his development as an elite hockey player.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #175
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monaplan. Lisa needs braces. Monaplan. Lisa needs braces. Monaplan. Lisa needs braces.

Last edited by puckluck2; 10-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to puckluck2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #176
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
If Monahan stays up would you be happy to see him miss some Flames games but play in the World Jr Championship?

I would. He wasn't there in 2012 and its a once in a lifetime experience (for some players) and I think it would do him the world of good with respect to his development as an elite hockey player.
The World Juniors is a massive step down in play compared to the NHL. If Monahan is playing important minutes with the Flames I see no reason whatsoever for him to play in the World Juniors. I know kids want to play in the World Juniors, and Monahan is probably a captain for the upcoming 2014 team but it the positives of staying and playing in the NHL far outweight going down in competition to play against teenagers again.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #177
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post

The flames, just like Seiloff, will let him go for the WJC
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #178
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
He'd pretty much have to get 0 points in the remaining games just to even be considered.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #179
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before the season started I thought he would be served better being sent down after his nine games. I have now done a 180. He has to stay. He is only 26 career points behind Yakipov and has played 47 fewer games
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #180
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I think it will really depend on how he fares in the upcoming road trip. If he can handle playing against bigger teams like the Sharks and Kings, I think he will stay. If he struggles, it would be better to send him to Ottawa.
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#23 , 2muchwhisky , 600 goals 1300 pts , kybb79 meltdown , love trolling , man with master plan , messiah