Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #61
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yep Sienna AWD is the best bet for year round and reliability.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #62
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
For your budget price, you're probably looking at a Dodge Caravan if you want to buy new. I think there is good value there but would consider trading it before the powertrain warranty expires.

For your budget, a 2-3 year old Honda Odyssey is worth looking at. A used Chey Tahoe also might work.

My sister and our friends had Toyota Siennas, and both had problems with them. Iirc the power sliding doors in particular.

Edit: my wife and I also looked at a Buick Enclave at one point. We thought it was a bit big for what we needed, but she loved that thing. Might be worth a look.
I find it shocking somebody actually likes a Buick Enclave. I rented one in Hawaii last month and it almost ruined my trip. I hated everything about it. It drove like a giant POS. Tranny always hunting for a gear. Unnecessarily high centre of gravity so it leaned in the corners. Brutal on gas. Just overall awful and cheap. Every minivan ever made is better than every Buick Enclave ever made. We cursed that thing the whole time.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #63
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
Why not buy a Honda?
Because then you're part of the problem, and need to be eliminated

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #64
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna. See if you can grab off of Leasebusters if you are not opposed to used. A 1-2 year old one will provide much better value

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #65
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

With my Grand Caravan I've not had the problems that others are talking about. Not to the extent they are at least. I did have brake problems.

It seems that the stock rotors wear out easily. I had my breaks done and then within a year the rotors wore out again. Because it was under warranty they repaired it for free and the guy told me that if it happens again they'll do the same thing but put on better rotors and I'll just split the difference for the cost of buying better rotors. Well it happened again, and they screwed me over, claiming they wouldn't promise anything like that, and that they weren't under warranty because they didn't have record of me coming in last time and too much time has passed, etc. etc. Unfortunately I ok'd the work before them telling me that they won't do warranty. So I paid and never went back.

Guess what? About 18 months later the rotors wore out again. Found a new place to work on my vehicle, I told him the problem and he found something better than stock and I even paid this mechanic a lot less than I paid to the old shop!

I'd still recommend a Dodge Grand Caravan though, I just won't send anybody in Lethbridge to the place I used to go to, and I'd recommend they ask for rotors that are better than the stock rotors if they ever need work done on their brakes. I'm still not convinced that the first time the rotors wore out was from normal wear and tear and the rest of the time it was due to the crappy rotors that my old mechanic was using.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #66
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm happy with our Town and Country mini-van.

We bought it used (3 years old) and it had been a rental car company mini-van. While always concerned about buying a former rental car, we figured if someone wanted to bag their vehicle, they'd rent a truck, or sports car.

So far it's been a good purchase.

We paid less than $20K.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #67
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ford Flex has 7 seats and 3 rows with room to spare. The third row is funcional too. Comes in AWD. The higher end models are quite luxurious too.

In my somewhat extensive research I think it's the best competitor to a minivan that's not actually a minivan.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #68
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'd rather be seen in a minivan than a Ford Flex though. They just look so...ugh.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #69
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
With my Grand Caravan I've not had the problems that others are talking about. Not to the extent they are at least. I did have brake problems.

It seems that the stock rotors wear out easily. I had my breaks done and then within a year the rotors wore out again. Because it was under warranty they repaired it for free and the guy told me that if it happens again they'll do the same thing but put on better rotors and I'll just split the difference for the cost of buying better rotors. Well it happened again, and they screwed me over, claiming they wouldn't promise anything like that, and that they weren't under warranty because they didn't have record of me coming in last time and too much time has passed, etc. etc. Unfortunately I ok'd the work before them telling me that they won't do warranty. So I paid and never went back.

Guess what? About 18 months later the rotors wore out again. Found a new place to work on my vehicle, I told him the problem and he found something better than stock and I even paid this mechanic a lot less than I paid to the old shop!

I'd still recommend a Dodge Grand Caravan though, I just won't send anybody in Lethbridge to the place I used to go to, and I'd recommend they ask for rotors that are better than the stock rotors if they ever need work done on their brakes. I'm still not convinced that the first time the rotors wore out was from normal wear and tear and the rest of the time it was due to the crappy rotors that my old mechanic was using.
I just replaced some disc brakes in a car, having never done it before.

Basically, if you can change a tire you can change brakes.

My point is, buy better parts and do it yourself, that way you know it was actually done, and you can afford better parts.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #70
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I find it shocking somebody actually likes a Buick Enclave. I rented one in Hawaii last month and it almost ruined my trip. I hated everything about it. It drove like a giant POS. Tranny always hunting for a gear. Unnecessarily high centre of gravity so it leaned in the corners. Brutal on gas. Just overall awful and cheap. Every minivan ever made is better than every Buick Enclave ever made. We cursed that thing the whole time.
We didn't find any of those issues in the one we were looking at, but it was the top trim level. Not sure what kind of performance you were expecting out of a 5000 pound 7 passenger vehicle.

If you hated it so much to the point of ruining your vacation, why didn't you take it back and try something else?
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #71
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Ford Flex has 7 seats and 3 rows with room to spare. The third row is funcional too. Comes in AWD. The higher end models are quite luxurious too.

In my somewhat extensive research I think it's the best competitor to a minivan that's not actually a minivan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think I'd rather be seen in a minivan than a Ford Flex though. They just look so...ugh.
We have a Flex Limited and it is awesome. I bought it primarily because it looked different and not like a melted bar of soap which every other CUV is designed after. We have a 6 passenger version and it is great because the kids each have their own space instead of sharing a bench. I'm looking to upgrade to a newer Flex later this year or an MKT.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #72
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OH, I agree, CUV's are so generic. The Flex has promise, it just looks like it tried a little to hard or something.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #73
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

The styling is divisive for sure. I used to hate the looks, then I test drove one and decided I could put my feelings about the looks aside. Now I really appreciate the styling after driving one for a few years.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #74
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
We have a Flex Limited and it is awesome. I bought it primarily because it looked different and not like a melted bar of soap which every other CUV is designed after. We have a 6 passenger version and it is great because the kids each have their own space instead of sharing a bench. I'm looking to upgrade to a newer Flex later this year or an MKT.
Side note: does the 6 passenger Flex have captains chairs in the middle row then?! I would like my eldest to have easier access to the third row. This 6 passenger thing seems like a solution I hadn't otherwise considered!!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #75
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Side note: does the 6 passenger Flex have captains chairs in the middle row then?! I would like my eldest to have easier access to the third row. This 6 passenger thing seems like a solution I hadn't otherwise considered!!
Yeah it is captain's chair in the second row. You can get it with or without a rear center console. The beauty of the 6 passenger is that you can get heated rear seats. The seats tumble forward for access to the third row.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #76
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Dodge Grand Caravan is the worst vehicle on the market today in my opinion. It's just so poor-quality; I would just sell it if I was given one for free.

Go with an Odyssey or a Sienna, preferably the former. The Sedona is intriguing. The jury's still out on the Pacifica, and you won't be able to find any for a reasonable price.

Edit: also, avoid the Nissan Quest at all costs.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 04-25-2017 at 04:53 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #77
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm also in the market for a new mini-van. Are there any out there that will pull a small trailer or tent trailer? Looking at specs I can't seem to find any that will unless it's super light. I should look for my parents old station wagon that would pull a giant trailer and we would all sit backwards in the back-- good times.
Yellefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #78
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellefan View Post
I'm also in the market for a new mini-van. Are there any out there that will pull a small trailer or tent trailer? Looking at specs I can't seem to find any that will unless it's super light. I should look for my parents old station wagon that would pull a giant trailer and we would all sit backwards in the back-- good times.
It depends on your weight limit, but my dad pulls a 17 foot 2000lbs camper with his Grand Caravan (with the upgraded towing package) without much effort.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #79
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take this information with a grain of salt. Based on information I quickly looked up.

2015 +Sienna AWD - Towing capacity 1200-1500 lbs due to lacking engine cooling and fans etc. However, there is a towing package that can be installed to cool engine, tranny etc. to bring it up to 3500 lbs.

2015+Sienna FWD - Towing capacity standard 3500lbs and seemed to have been that way for a while.

2015+ Odyssey FWD - Towing capacity standard 3500 lbs and has been that way for a while (No AWD versions)

2015+ Caravan (FWD) - Towing capacity 3600 lbs. A few years previous to that it was 1800-2500 lbs but info seems a little inconsistent at first glance.

I'd suggest researching the towing capacity for the exact car you buy. It does seem like the Sienna AWD without towing package is the van to avoid if you plan to tow things though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #80
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellefan View Post
Get a (<2007) Volvo V70 with the optional third row.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote